PDA

View Full Version : Text in Lithophane

wpickrel
12-14-2015, 08:45 PM
I am wanting to make a lithophane with text in it. Could you please let me know a: if this would work and b: what type of text to use: centerpoint,outline or raster. Not sure how to proceed. Much thanks and Merry Christmas to all

fwharris
12-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Yes text works with lithophanes. I would suggest either centerline or outline text. You will get a good view of it by setting your board view to litho...

myshop1044
12-15-2015, 05:45 AM
yes they work very well, I used centerline in my last 2 lithos

Bob Victor
12-15-2015, 02:09 PM
yes they work very well, I used centerline in my last 2 lithos

First I want to say your litho looks great. My sister is wanting text in a litho, with the centerline text did you use a 90 or 60 degree bit?

myshop1044
12-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I used a 60 deg.

wpickrel
12-15-2015, 06:54 PM
I don't know how to pull up lithophane. I go to view before I open a project and its there but when I open a project new or otherwise I only have wood or none any suggestions

bergerud
12-15-2015, 07:09 PM
The litho viewer is a feature of Designer 2 and 3. 1.187 does not have the viewer. If you do have 2 or 3 and the viewer is not there, you may need to turn on 3d Graphics - hardware acceleration. It is under edit - preferences.

fwharris
12-15-2015, 07:32 PM
You need to find the "texture pull down" tool

bergerud
12-15-2015, 07:48 PM
It is also under the view menu. The problem is graphics acceleration. I turned mine off and get exactly the described behavior.

CarlW
12-20-2015, 02:57 PM
I am new to the forum and I already need some help.. I am trying to carve an eagle that will end up about 20” wide. So I plan to do it in two pieces and am interested in any thoughts anybody may have. In particular I am worried about keeping solid wood under the compression rollers. Here is my plan. I start with a 12” wide board and position the eagle pattern. I enlarge the pattern to 0” and locate it so halfe the pattern is on the board and half is off. Now I start A SECOND PROJECT WITH ANOTHER5 12” BOARD AND COPY THE ENLARGED PATTERN AND PASTE IT TO THE NEW PROJECT WITH THE SECOND HALF ON THE BOARD. Of course I am going to get a message telling me there is a problem carving all the way across the board, there will be nothing under the compression rollers. Next I plan to load a 14” wide board in the machine and center the pattern so there should be an inch extra on each side. I am asking if anybody has tried anything like this. I am assuming the machine will only carve to the edge if the 12” project size defined in Designer so that should leave solid board on the4 edges for the compression rollers. Assuming this all works I will trim the edges with a table saw and then fine tune with my jointer until the two halves match up.