PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Stuck in Motor

makinsawdust
12-14-2015, 04:03 PM
I have a flex shaft stuck in motor and have not been able to remove it, I have removed the spring with no problem but can not remove the flex shaft.
I have talked to several folks at LHR, and the all tell me to pull it out with a pair of plyers, have tried that and I am afraid something is gonna break.
Has anyone else had this problem.

Machine is a "C" model, Carve tight spindle, have replaced the x-drive gears, and has approx. 165 hours on it.

I shore could use some help.
Stan

DianMayfield
12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Have you removed the screw in the top of the motor assembly where the shaft goes in? I believe it is meant to stop the keyed end from spinning out.

makinsawdust
12-14-2015, 04:35 PM
I have not, and this is the first time I have heard this, although I have thought this might be a better answer than just pulling of the shaft
Thank you

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2015, 05:40 PM
So you are actually asking for help removing the CORE of the flex shaft, correct?

I would first remove the outer flex by loosening the single screw and twisting the outer flex to remove it.

Use care, as you can fracture the cut motor case at the flex.

Once the core is in the clear, I would carefully tap on the flex right at the point where it is inserted into the cut motor. Do this VERY GENTLY, we are talking slight thumping with something like needle nose pliers. Then use the pliers to gently pry the core out. Being VERY CAREFUL and not kink or bend the flex...

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
12-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I have a flex shaft stuck in motor and have not been able to remove it, I have removed the spring with no problem but can not remove the flex shaft.
I have talked to several folks at LHR, and the all tell me to pull it out with a pair of plyers, have tried that and I am afraid something is gonna break.
Has anyone else had this problem.

Machine is a "C" model, Carve tight spindle, have replaced the x-drive gears, and has approx. 165 hours on it.

I shore could use some help.
Stan

Hi Stan,

I had that happen a few years ago. I tugged, pulled, wiggled and tugged some more. Nearly yanked the machine off the stand during one vigorous tug. I finally did get it to come loose, though (without removing the outer rubber sheath, which was going to be my next course of action). I just had to be persistent. It appeared that the winding of the flexshaft had a tiny piece of wire start to fray loose and got that end stuck real good!

fwharris
12-15-2015, 05:41 PM
I had one that was stuck in the motor for about a year. I was not able to get it out while the motor was still in the machine so I just ran it as is until it came time to change out the motor brushes. I ended up swapping out the motor with my back up. I shot some WD-40 in the motor end and after a few good tugs using pliers on the flex core right at the motor it broke loose. Like Michael said the end did have a small burr on the end.