PDA

View Full Version : RPM sensor

xchief807
12-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Just tried to do a carve and got this error message RPM sensor err E37-0314 the machine has 231 hrs and I could hear the rpms were not right is it possible I need new brushes?

bergerud
12-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Sounds like it is time to check the brushes.

xchief807
12-13-2015, 04:10 PM
That's what I figured I will order a new pair

xchief807
12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Ok I pulled the top brush out of the motor and checked my brush it looked like it still had about half maybe a little less on it. I tried to run the project again oh and I also did a RPM check and when I spin the bit by hand the rpm numbers go up. When the bit starts the RPMs are up but then it drops off before it starts to carve and I get the check motor message. Any suggestions would be great. I need to get this up I have a few projects to do.

PS I should add I didn't pull the motor out I just took the top brush out and it still looked like it had a little less then half.

Thanks Kevin

xchief807
12-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Ok I checked the X termination board it looks fine pulled both brushes an checked for crimped wires all looks good I think I will attach some pictures not sure about the brushes.

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Well... The brushes look too short.... The copper wire tether acts as a dog leash.. The brushes will ARC to reach the commutator and cost you a new motor... where the brush holder MELTS from the heat.... We have seen that many times before...

AL

xchief807
12-14-2015, 12:26 PM
ok so do you think it's the brushes I have a new pair on order already

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2015, 12:29 PM
I would not use the machine until you replace the brushes. The ARC will melt the brush holder and destroy the plastic case and worst case the wood dust inside the motor catches FIRE...

AL

xchief807
12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Yea I have no intention of using it I can't anyway the RPMs are to slow. I have already ordered new brushes. I wasn't sure when I looked at them they didn't seem bad but I have nothing to compare them too. they have 230 hrs on them. I hope that it it's an easy fix. everything else looked good.

xchief807
12-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Now I just hope my parts are not on backorder. I order them yesterday but I haven't heard anything from carvewright.

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2015, 01:16 PM
While you have the machine open it would be a good idea to replace the two 685ZZ Bearings inside the Y Gearbox...

It is suggested to replace them every 250 cut hours.

Will save you from them wearing the shaft and then you need a new Y Gearbox unless you can find a new Y gear.

AL

xchief807
12-14-2015, 02:05 PM
I just purchased a refurb Y gearbox when it comes I will send mine back for a refund

Digitalwoodshop
12-14-2015, 02:09 PM
That works !!!!

AL

xchief807
12-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Ok I changed the brushes and the Y motor went to carve and same problem it says routing figure it starts up and before it even starts to carve the RPMs start to slow down then I get the error message E37-0314 now I have no idea what is wrong. I tried it again and same thing but when it said do I want to proceed I said yes and so far its carving no problem . It's a simple carve centerline text first then a cutout of the shape. any ideas whats wrong never had this happen I have 230 hrs

bergerud
12-21-2015, 01:42 PM
This may be the infamous "check cut motor" problem. Is your machine on an extension cord or on a circuit with other loads?

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Could be a bad X Termination Board. Under machine, look for burnt parts.

AL

xchief807
12-21-2015, 03:27 PM
The machine is on an extension cord but always has been and I never had this issue the board is fine I will post the picture of it. And the project carved no problem.

bergerud
12-21-2015, 03:56 PM
It maybe that the motor is getting a little older and it does not spin up quite so fast. Many get the "check cut motor" message and just hit continue.

(The E37 message only comes up if you hit stop - right?)

xchief807
12-21-2015, 04:11 PM
yes when I hit stop I get the message but the motor spins at the high RPM for a couple of seconds but before the bit touches the wood it slows down and then it stops and asks if I want to proceed When I did the check cut motor test it ran no problem.

bergerud
12-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Yes, what you have is the standard problem many have. For me it would happen only before vector operations like drilling or centerline.

It is a cut motor spin up test. If the motor does not attain a certain high rpm in a certain short time, we get the message.

FWMiller
12-21-2015, 06:08 PM
I used to have that problem a lot but have not seen it in a long time. I replaced my power supply a while back with a newer version C power supply and think that may have something to do with it.

xchief807
12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
My machine is a C version and its just over a yr old so I would think it's the same power supply as yours. This is the first time I did just a centerline text with no carving and then just cut the Ptn out see attached picture.

FWMiller
12-22-2015, 07:58 AM
I'll just chalk it up to luck then. I'll take any luck I can get with the machine.

xchief807
12-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Yea I have no idea what is going on I changed brushes changed the Z motor cleaned the machine and the motor still did it. I hit continue and it carved fine. I love the machine but boy is it ever temperamental. sometimes I have to load and reload a project tracking errors. Other times it goes right thru. I just changed my sliding plate it looked like it was a little off.

FWMiller
12-22-2015, 08:14 AM
There's nothing you can do to get rid of this problem, other than being lucky it goes away or doesn't show up. It's a bug in the firmware design that seems to be dependent on performance characteristics of the machine.

xchief807
12-22-2015, 08:38 AM
This is the first time it ever happened and the first time I did a centerline with just a cutout I will see when I do a normal full carve if it shows up. I think bergerud summed it up best and he seems to know this machine inside and out. I am convinced he could build his own.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2015, 12:24 PM
I always shut the machine off at the end of a carve so I always get the CCM or Check Cut Motor about 20 seconds into a new carve. Try NOT Shutting off the machine between projects and I bet it does NOT give you a CCM.

AL

FWMiller
12-22-2015, 12:34 PM
I always shut the machine off at the end of a carve so I always get the CCM or Check Cut Motor about 20 seconds into a new carve. Try NOT Shutting off the machine between projects and I bet it does NOT give you a CCM.

AL
I used to get it all the time, regardless of shutting down the machine or not. Over the past six months I've done a lot of vector carves that used to cause the problem a lot and have not had a single one. I even have my machine on an extension cord. It looks like certain unknown characteristics in a machine either makes yours susceptible to it or not. And it can apparently change over time. I'm sure now the next time I use my machine I'm going to get the error again. No wood in the desk I'm sitting at to knock on.......

DickB
12-22-2015, 12:37 PM

ALI believe I get one, but if I don't shut the machine off it "remembers" and runs at max speed with no error message on subsequent projects.

bergerud
12-22-2015, 01:08 PM
From what I was told, the test is performed on each project (with vector cuts) but the failure is only reported the first time it occurs. The machine keeps quiet about subsequent failures but does still go into a no speed control, limp mode each time. Rebooting the machine resets the process and one will get that first report again.

This message is not just annoying, it means that the machine is not going to use the speed control. I suppose this could mean burning on corners in centerline text?? In any case, I think one should try and find out why it is happening and fix it.

Beta testers have begged to have the sensitivity of the test dialed down a little but no go. It seems that the machines at LHR do not have the problem.