PDA

View Full Version : Deep lines carved

Sconi
12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
when I carve I often get several lines deeper than the rest of the carve, usually near the beginning but they can show up anywhere, here are three photos of what I'm talking about. These were done on the universal carrier base but they happen without using it as well.

My bits are sharp, the mpc's - one from Cartwright by Michael Tyler the other is one I did myself so I don't think it's the pattern.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mjc

Sconi
12-09-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm planing to carve just a square no graphics to see if it does it on that as well, just as a test....

fwharris
12-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I would look for a bad Z belt or gear, loose bolt in the Z gear box, dirty compacted compression roller ends.

mtylerfl
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Are you following the "7-inch Rule"? If the board is not captive under both rollers at all times during a carve, it can "tip" and create lines in your carving. The longer the board, the more likely a board "tip" will occur if not held flat/captive under both rollers during the entire carving process.

If you are following the "7-inch Rule", then it may be a mechanical issue as Floyd suggested.

bergerud
12-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I would have to guess lumpy z rollers. Either adjusted too tight, sawdust in them, or compressed sawdust between them and the rails.

Digitalwoodshop
12-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I am with FW on this one.... A FLAT SPOT in one of your RUBBER COMPRESSION ROLLERS from leaving the machine cranked down on a board overnight....

The Flat spot lets the board RISE UP into the BIT making the lines....

AL

rmock
12-09-2015, 07:15 PM
I have had this happen recently, I had a loose z truck and some wear on the z rails. I removed the truck and turned the rails then made sure the truck was tight but not over tight.

saylesj
12-12-2015, 05:57 PM
same sort of question

I am getting undesired lines/ drag marks / scratches in the bottom of my carved region, They're only as wide as the bit being used different from the roller marks you get when the board is not under the roller I read somewhere online that it could possibly be dust in the encoder can somebody please describe to me where that is located on the machine itself? I have removed the top and cleaned the pulley areas etc. This is occurring with both of my bits as well. in the sensor check menu "z" seems to be working.... Do you have to replace the whole motor to replace the encoder any help would be greatly appreciated

bergerud
12-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Just take the back cover off of the z motor. Three screws. Catch the two nuts on the bottom ones.

Your problem may not be the encoder but it does not hurt to have a look.

saylesj
12-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Does the cover kind of look like a heat sink? Or is there another cover

bergerud
12-12-2015, 06:43 PM
The cover bolts to the heat sink from behind. The encoder is on the back of the motor.

bergerud
12-12-2015, 06:58 PM
See: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?28076-Z-axis-stall-error-e06-0303&p=253270#post253270

FWMiller
12-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Sawdust in the z encoder has caused those for me before. Also I've seen erratic z errors when I had a flakey FFC Cable.

Digitalwoodshop
12-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Encoder 101.

You can use Sensor Data to monitor the pulses moving the Z by hand to check it too. Smooth counting.

AL

saylesj
12-17-2015, 12:29 PM
blew it out still getting lines....any other suggestions? can you get just the encoder without the motor?

bergerud
12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Do you see anything wrong with the encoder?

(The encoder cannot be bought separately. It is, however, the same encoder as in the board tracking sensor.)

saylesj
12-17-2015, 01:05 PM
it doesn't appear to have anything wrong

Do you see anything wrong with the encoder?

(The encoder cannot be bought separately. It is, however, the same encoder as in the board tracking sensor.)

bergerud
12-17-2015, 01:12 PM
I would guess the problem is elsewhere. Look for play or stiffness in the truck system.

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Mechanical of the truck?

Grasp the truck with two hands and try to twist it in the X and Y direction looking for a loose roller rail bearing letting the head rock on the rails.

Remember the roller rail bearings have 2 adjustments... Crimp on the rail and tightness of the actual screw holding the bearing. The Crimp may be loose.

Some have found a loose screw under the machine going into the smooth vertical rails that the whole head assembly goes up and down on.

Some WAG's... Wild AL Guesses...

AL