PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A New Machine ??

smryan
03-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh I guess that would be ME!!!!

The wife placed it on order and has a pick up from Sears this coming Saturday. Of course since I am still stuck in Afghanistan till April 30 I won't be able to use it untill then.

One thing about the buying process. They told my wife that the Club Card can't apply to the purchase. Is this true? It doesnt make sense to me, they told her that the Club Card only applies to sales at the beginning and end of month sales. Anyone else have this problem.

They also said there was NO extended warranty. I swear I have read on this forum that you could get the 5 year deal. Any idea's on this?

So soon I will be making me some chips...all this just makes me want to go home sooner HA!!!

Regards

Scott

HandTurnedMaple
03-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Craftsman Club prices are only in effect during Craftsman Club sales. However, if you are a CC member and a CC sale occurs within 30 days of purchase (I think), then Sears will make a price correction at that time under their price guarantee.

Forget about the 5 year EW for right now.

pamjmayo
03-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I think you deserve to get a new machine for free!!!!! When you get back home, I wish you only smooth sailing and lots of fun. I sure hope you don't get sent back with this new plan!

Pam

smryan
03-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks Pam but I really don't deserve a free machine. This new plan can't effect me at all. I am over here as a civilian contractor. I did my military time here Jan 04 to April 05.

This machine is by far the coolest tool I have in my brand new wood shop. (All new tools at the house waiting for me to get them all set up). I am soooo excited I think my head will explode

Scott

rgant05
03-15-2007, 02:06 AM
One thing for sure you will have an interesting time with the CompuCarve. There is a lot to learn and it is a really steep learning curve. But once you get everythig going you will love it. I have had a little bit of equipment problem, but the CW people are pretty good to work with so its not like you are out in the water without an oar. If you are able to take advantage of the forum while you are over there, you will have much of the learning curve under control by the time you get home, so even that will be easier than if you just picked it up one day and wondered what to do next.

Maybe they will run a Craftman Club sale within the 30 day limit and be able to get the discount. There is not a "running discount" for club members, but when I bought mine I got the $100 off with a Craftsman Club card and it wasn't even mine. The sales man told me that it was on sale and pulled out his own card and swiped it on my sale..... plus got 12 mo no pay, no interest on a promo also. Hope you enjoy the forum and know you will enjoy the carver. Don't get too frustrated or upset if you have problems with it. CW will not forsake you like so many manufacturers do, and you won't have to put up with Sears just yet. I don't think they are quite up to speed on this new addition to their line yet.

Roger

smryan
03-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Hey Roger

I agree with you 100%. I have been lurking this forum for about the last 6 weeks so I feel pretty confident that any issues I will run into I should be able to resolve it with this forum.

I bought this machine knowing full well it has issues and I am ok with that. Any new technology has problems and this is no different. My first projects are going to be strickly VectorArt3D patterns for custom carry cases.

It is going to be a blast and I can't wait to get home to start

Scott

jspringertx
03-15-2007, 08:44 AM
My machine is a few months old, but it wasn't until the lasst 2 weeks that I have really did some great carving.

I bought my unit at full price and when the Craftsman Club had a sale 2 weeks later I contacted Sears online and they credited me for the 10% discount plus tax.

Be sure that your wife holds on to the receipt and watch for Craftsman Club specials.

I visited a Sears Hardware store yesterday and talked to the tool salesman. He said that they sold one unit and he was anxious to get the machine in the store. You can feel lucky that your wife puchased the unit when she did.

Mike
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Be cool. Get home safe!!

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Sears has a no hassle 90 day refund/exchange policy. If you have a problem or just don't like the color of it they will refund your $$. So if you can get it tested out in the 90 days you will do yourself a favor. I can test it for you until you return. mine first one is back at sears and I need another. (kidding)
you will like how easy this is to operate.
Be safe

RC Woodworks
03-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Gman is correct! I have exchanged 4 machines so far and it even has not been 90 days for the first machine!

But I have not given up yet!!! One machine is going to work!

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 08:19 PM
by the law of averages RC will have a machine that will be impossible to break (eventually.) I hope it is lucky#4 for you. Saint Pats day and all a bit of luck has to come your way soon.

EulessDave
03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
My machine arrived yesterday ... after spending DAYS pouring over all the information on the forum.

I read the instructions, used a few tips found here, set up a drawing, and carved my first two pieces within about 4 hours. Flex cable warm, but not hot!

First piece resized to be too small, but the second piece turned out great. I'll do some more on Wednesday, but I have learned from the forum not to get in a hurry, watch closely for the details, and try not to add too much operator error.

I noticed that my machine has a 9 pin computer port on the back, a release lever over on the right hand verticle screw drive for the head, and two threaded screw holes on the flat part just inside the cover. Don't know what the first is for ... the second probably fixes the "cranked it too high" problem ... and maybe the last is for a future dust collector?

Kenm810
03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
EulessDave

In all your exuberance, please don’t forget to post a few photos,
so we share your progress with the machine, and projects.

oldjoe
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I am not sure what is up with Sears when I ordered mine I went to one store and they told me they were not part of the national tool sale but when I went to another Sears closer to home and ordered it the Salesman knock off $100 and never asked me for mine or used another Craftsman Club Card. But he did tell me that if the CC shows up in the Craftsman Club with in the next 30 day I will get the additional discount. I do know that the sale people in MN get a commision.

gtj44
03-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I ordered a CC from sears last Thursday with 10% off, they said it would take 7 to 10 days. Lo and behold, it arrived today. Been playing with the software, have not carved anything yet. The memory card works, saved a project to it and the machine loaded it. May try to carve the project tomorrow night.

smryan
03-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Well the wife picked up the machine. It is sitting in the box waiting for me to come home.

I am going to purchase the marine/animal pack from Vector Art and when I get home I will be off to the races

I will keep you posted

Scott

40 Days to "Summer Of Scott"

dougmsbbs
03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, today that would be ME! Ordered it last Thursday, picked it up tonight, and less than two hours after getting it home ran my first piece through it. Worked great!
THIS is going to be fun!

Kenm810
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
dougmsbbs'

Welcome to the wood chippers, and let fun begin!

oldjoe
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats on the new machine dougnsbbs! where did you buy it? Ordered mine last week also told me it would be here today the 21st but when I got there it wasn't on the truck. Was told that the date they told me was the day it was due in the warehouse can't wait like a kid before Christmas.

dougmsbbs
03-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone!
I got mine at Sears. It was funny, too. It was the first one they had ever seen, and they made me promise to come back with some of my work as soon as I can. Seems I'm the first to have one in my county. Cool!
I just finished my second project on it. I'll upload some photos when I get the chance.
I built two machines that did about the same thing, but were driven by Dremels. This beats all that hands down! Now I just need to convert all those files over into Designer, and start cutting.
Sure wish I could take a week off of work. I bet even then I wouldn't get any sleep...

RC Woodworks
03-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Ah Gman, I am Irish but I do not believe in luck! Takes God out of the picture, but you are right you would think this wouldn't happen a 4th time. Of course you don't know my life and yes it can! Murphy's law applies to my life most of the time!

Still I have high hopes that this one will be the one. I am ready to be part of the those members that are trouble free. I tell you this I give up after this 4th one. I will get my money back and wait until I can buy a Shop Bot. I have the CNC fever now!

It is so frustrating this machine can do so many wonderful things. I have seen what it can do.

Thanks again for the positive words!

-Rick