PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard for replical car

carrothers
11-11-2015, 06:30 PM
attached is the mpc file for the dashboard I am trying to carve for a friend for his replica Bugatti car. I have several issues: The first one is the mpc is reversed, the rear view is actually the front and I can't figure out how to reverse. Second, I can't highlight the tabs to put in the cut outs. And thirdly, when I cut out the right glove box I need to do this with a 1/16th cutting bit so he can re-install the cutout and use it as a door without a wide gap around the cut out. I was thinking about trying to cut another piece with just the glove box and do a "flip cut" but am open to some other ideas. Help!!

DickB
11-11-2015, 07:00 PM
How did you make this pattern? Why do you not simply flip it? - it worked for me.

The 1/16" cutting bit has a depth limit and cannot be used to cut through a 3/4" board.

You have "floor feather" checked, so the pattern is for the most part going to carve all the way through the board (in effect produce a cutout) without your adding any cutouts. What you need to do instead of cutouts (delete them) is to add manual tabs. However, one of the dash inserts is not cutting through the board, which is why I asked my first question.

bergerud
11-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Do you have a picture of what the dash will look like?

I fooled around with it a little. Put on an example tab.

carrothers
11-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I took his original dashboard and scanned it with a probe. I don't have a picture of the dash but can probably get one. So if I understand what your saying is onthe original scanned ptn I should eliminate the cut outs and just let the software duplicate what it scanned?

bergerud
11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
I do not know what is best to do. I had it set up as a pierced carving. No cutouts. The glove box is a problem with a 3/4" board.

You better to a test or two with MDF!

carrothers
11-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I revised it somewhat to flip the cut on the glove box on the full cut out and then did a second mpc with just the glove box with the flip cut as well. But when I tried to load it on my flash drive I get a warning that it's too deep to carve but I don't see anyway to change it and force it to write to the flash card. Any suggesitons?

DickB
11-12-2015, 05:50 PM
You have the depth of the dashboard pattern set too low. If you set it to .75, the depth of the board, the warning will go away.

As I stated earlier, you cannot run this project as you have it. The pattern is going to carve through the board, and you will have loose pieces because you have not placed manual tabs. You cannot use both a pierced carve with manual tabs and cutouts. You either must do as I recommended earlier, or raise the pattern depth so that it does not pierce the board if you are going to also use cutouts.