PDA

View Full Version : Glueing up boards and using the jointer feature

kcc2012
11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
78639I've been asked to carve several Orthodox Icons for a Church Altar. I glued up my first board and made the carve which came out fairly well. The only problem is there's a line through the middle where the boards meet up. I used 4 boards the top boards and the bottom boards don't have a seam but the middle has one. This was my first time to try gluing up boards and I think I did ok but I want to do better. I know jointing the board is important. I don't have any other power tools besides the carve wright. I read the instructions about how its done which is fairly good but not being a real wood worker I want to make sure I understand it right. Do I need to use a sled? also do I need to worry about the extra 7 inches as I would doing a carving? One last thing what bit do I use?

Thank you
Ambrose Stapleton

RogerB
11-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Very nice work. There is one trick for gluing that no one tells you. If us are staining your work you can add color to your glue. I have done this .

fwharris
11-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Glue ups was one of my struggles when I first started also. I know you can not use the boards as is, you have to make a nice straight/square/flat board edge. I tried using a 4" planner and just the table saw and would always get an area that would match up so that when you put the two boards together before gluing that I could see light between them. I came across a squaring sled for the table saw and since then I have not had any issues.

If you are carving several of these at the same size I would make up a sled with the extra length for staying under the rollers.

DickB
11-11-2015, 06:51 PM
I think it is going to be tough to do this using the Carvewright as a jointer. The cutting bits just do not cut smoothly enough. Many, many years ago I saw a demonstration of a Forrest brand table saw blade that produced very nice cuts. The blade was expensive, but I found to be well worth the cost. If the blade is sharp, it can rip cut well enough that a jointer is not required. I think that you are going to need another piece of equipment to get consistently good results.

FWMiller
11-11-2015, 08:15 PM
I think the trouble is he doesn't have a table saw. I've read about joining boards with hand planes and a jig. If you have some hand planes do a Google search and see what you can find. I haven't tried it myself but that's how it was done before power tools. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it with the CW.

bergerud
11-11-2015, 09:59 PM
The CW might do a fine job jointing. I have not tried it but, with a 3/8" jointing bit, I bet it gives a pretty smooth cut down the edge. Someone should give it a try!

fwharris
11-11-2015, 10:38 PM
The CW might do a fine job jointing. I have not tried it but, with a 3/8" jointing bit, I bet it gives a pretty smooth cut down the edge. Someone should give it a try!

Right after I got my machine I did try the jointing feature a few times but it was more to see the machine do it and to clean up a board edge. Never did try it for a glue up. You do have to do it in very small passes as to deep your will run into tracking problems. Most times the edges were real clean.

Ambrose,

Is this what you are doing? Using the CW for the joining edge?

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 12:59 AM
That's what I'm planning on doing at least for these particular projects. I actually only have 4 boards to create. The other ones I need to do can be on a non glued up board. I know it won't be idea for long term but for a few projects I'm hoping it will be fine. The cheapest table saw here is about 300 dollars.

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 01:02 AM
3/8th Jointing bit. That's good to know I'll look to see if I can get one tomorrow when I get some wood.

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 01:03 AM
I hadn't thought about the hand planers I have one of those ill google it and check it out. Thank you for the tip.

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 01:07 AM
I have a sled to use for scanning and it should be long enough I'll have to give it a try.o

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 01:18 AM
That's a great idea. I haven't decided the stain color yet. The Icons will be going on an Altar which will be stained in red oak so he wants it to be a lighter color to stand out from the table but I need it to be dark enough to have the halos and other items I have to gold leaf to also stand out.
I'm using tight bond 3 for my glue. Thanks for the tip.

kcc2012
11-12-2015, 01:24 AM
I've seen some Craftsman Contractor saws for sale every once in a while at garage sales. I'll have to check into a little more. Thank you I'll see if that brand of blade is available locally or if I can get it on amazon.

Canemaker
11-12-2015, 07:25 AM
A good friend of mine only uses a hand plane. He puts the two to be joined in a vice and shaves them both at the same time. It's works like magic and is easy to do, even for a beginner like myself. His joints are always perfect, square and clean. Just keep a sharp blade in your hand plane.

DianMayfield
11-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Someone had posted a link (now not working) to a video on glue and using a hand plane. I think this is the video it originally linked to:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/video-wood-glue-basics-application-tips/

rmock
11-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to pass this link along
Jointing On A Table Sawhttp://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2005/01/28/wb

Ifdfireman24
04-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Where did you get the patterns for the icons? I have been looking for exactly what you have and would like to get them also! Any info would be great! Thank you