PDA

View Full Version : version 1.113 softwear?

DDV
03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
The machine I have, has softwear version 1.113 on it. Every post I see about it says to upgrade it. This is my dumb question. Why? Everything runs now!
But, I would still be using windows 98 softwear if the designer would run on it.

Thanks
DDV

Sarge
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
1. It helps you CYA for issues involving malfunctions. I didn't have problems with 1.115, 1.119 or now 1.120, but I darned sure upgrade when I can. Some of these programs easily develop damaged or currupt files after being loaded. It's just the "safe" thing to do. Happy Carving!!

rgant05
03-15-2007, 12:24 AM
If you ever call CW to trouble shoot the machine the first thing they want to know is what version and they will have you upgrade. I already knew I had a bad board edge sensor (was in pieces) but they wanted me to upgrade the program and reflash the card and look into the machine diagnostics before they would send the part. I am sure that the upgrades are good to have (although I have heard 1.119 had some major issues). I wasn't wanting to upgrade from 1.115 until I hear better words about 1.120, but had to do it to satisfy them that everything else was working well and that the board edge sensor was the only thing wrong. I went along with it..... all the while telling him that 1.120 better be ok. He assured me it was (like a good tech would... LOL) Its good to stay up to date and you usually get a little bit of features along the way. Like the ability to double click on a .ptn file and have it open up in CW program, instead of having to go through the whole import routine. And there may have been other features added or made better since 1.113. Its their way of fixing some problems before they happen. However, I understand and many times agree... "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If I had 1.113 I would probably update, but I no longer like to get something the day it comes out anymore....want to hear some feedback from people that have used it.

Roger

P.S. I didn't want to go from 98 to XP either. I have wound up rebuying or updating just about every program I had.... some at big bucks.......... but bottom line I am glad I did, in looking back. It was a good move..... but then I waited for a year or so also before I did.

DDV
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
(quote) "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If I had 1.113 I would probably update, but I no longer like to get something the day it comes out anymore....want to hear some feedback from people that have used it.(end of quote)

You got that Right!! I just hate to go the download route. I live out in the sticks and have dial-up service and its so slow I think sometimes I can type faster then it is. A ten minute download sometime takes an hour. Last new line that was put in was when the internet was run off DOS commands. I quess I need to get a hand full of CD's and head out and find a hi-speed connection.

DDV

BoardSilly
03-15-2007, 09:11 AM
If I had 1.13 I would load it on a second machine and use the Centerline text feature to create an mpc for my text. Then use that mpc on my main machine running 1.19 or 1.20

rgant05
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
It is a pretty large file for dial up. I have the file and could burn a CD and mail it to you if it would help. I guess you could always go back to 1.113 . I could also email you the readme file that lists all of the changes that the different versions have contained. A lot of changes, improvements, repairs etc. You might find it interesting to see what you are missing LOL

BoardSilly
03-15-2007, 12:36 PM
It is a pretty large file for dial up. I have the file and could burn a CD and mail it to you if it would help. I guess you could always go back to 1.113 . I could also email you the readme file that lists all of the changes that the different versions have contained. A lot of changes, improvements, repairs etc. You might find it interesting to see what you are missing LOL

I've got a 3mb pipe and more servers in a 48" rack then one should probably have in the home. If you are not on dialup and want to upload 1.13 to one of my FTP servers, I'll set you up with access to it.

rgant05
03-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't have 1.113. I was offering to burn 1.120 and send it to him. I guess I would like to have 1.113 also, if it still had the centerline text. I think if it is designed in centerline and then run on a machine with 1.120 it still keeps the centerline as long as you don't edit the text. I may be wrong because I have never tried it, but received an mpc file with centerline one time. I just didn't try to upload it to the card and carve it. The flash on the card might have to be 1.113 also.... but make you think about it.

DDV
03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I don't have 1.113. I was offering to burn 1.120 and send it to him. I guess I would like to have 1.113 also, if it still had the centerline text. I think if it is designed in centerline and then run on a machine with 1.120 it still keeps the centerline as long as you don't edit the text. I may be wrong because I have never tried it, but received an mpc file with centerline one time. I just didn't try to upload it to the card and carve it. The flash on the card might have to be 1.113 also.... but make you think about it.

Thanks to everone. I called my son and he has a cable hi-speed so I can use him. Now the kicker!! I called CW and spoke to someone in the softwear dept.. I wanted to make sure the flash for the firmwear was in the downloadable version, I was ask what problems I was having and told the nothing right now. They told me in short " If its not broken, don't fix it. you can always get it later if needed" Go Figure!!

Thanks to all Anyway!
DDV

kyeakel
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I think 1.113 is what came on my carvewright CDROM. I immeadiatly updated to 1.115 before I did my first project. Now I'm going to load it to a different computer and see if it has the centerline...

rgant05
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
If it does have centerline text, that in itself might be a reason to stay with it. I think I want centerline text, but haven't used the machine long enough on enough projects to know for sure. What they are telling you is a pretty sound policy, but sometimes you do get some improvements, repairs and changes that go along with the new versions that might make them worth having. However, the first thing they will say when you call them with a problem is that we don't even want to talk with you until you have updated your software.... why haven't you already done that. LOL And if you have a homing sensor problem, the newest version will eliminate that becuase they no longer use the homing sensor the way they did in previous versions. But, all in all its hard to argue for updating if there are no problems.

dench
03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
the version 113 that came whith the cw das not have centerline