PDA

View Full Version : Need help in getting cutout correct

djarboe
11-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I drew up half a cutout pattern, and connected the ends. I then mirrored the cutout, but cannot get rid of the cutout line down the middle. I have attached the project.
It's not that difficult to draw, since I'm using the grid and snap to grid. I could just redraw the entire thing from scratch, but there must be a "cleaner" way. Any suggestions?
I'm making a cross for a friend's daughter whose cat got ran over, and is now buried in their back yard.
I still have some surface pattern carving to do, but need to get the cutout correct before I can complete the surface carving.

Still using V 1.187

Dave

bergerud
11-08-2015, 12:10 PM
You cannot merge mirrored things together. I removed the mirror, the angle constraints, and the line down the middle. Copied, pasted, flipped, and then connected.

djarboe
11-08-2015, 12:40 PM
You cannot merge mirrored things together. I removed the mirror, the angle constraints, and the line down the middle. Copied, pasted, flipped, and then connected.

Thanks! Clearly I need some education!

Dave

djarboe
11-08-2015, 12:54 PM
is there a way to rotate the letters so the read vertically rather than horizontally?

bergerud
11-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Just use rotate like you would for a pattern.

djarboe
11-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Tried that, and it only rotates the entire name, not the letters. I'm not being very clear. I want the letters to rotate vertically, but still be aligned along the long part of the cross.

bergerud
11-08-2015, 01:18 PM
I think you may need to do one letter at a time to stack them

djarboe
11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Arggh! I turned the name sideways on the cross beam, and it doesn't look that bad. May just stick with that.

Thanks for all your help!

djarboe
11-09-2015, 08:49 AM

I need some help understanding that. 1. Why did you remove the angle constraints. 2. How did you flip the copy. 3. How did you get it to connect to the original. 4. Did you use the outline tool, or just use the drawn patterns as cut paths. Finally, where is the outline tool?

bergerud
11-09-2015, 09:11 AM
I need some help understanding that. 1. Why did you remove the angle constraints. 2. How did you flip the copy. 3. How did you get it to connect to the original. 4. Did you use the outline tool, or just use the drawn patterns as cut paths. Finally, where is the outline tool?

1. I removed the angle constraints so the figure would flip. (It is an annoying bug that constraints can disable some operations.)

2. There are flip operations. Look for the buttons on the tool bar or look under the Layout menu or click the right mouse button on the figure for the context menu.

3. After pasting and flipping the copy, with the snap grid on, I moved the flipped copy to overlap the end points of the original. Then I connected the end points. This is done by attempting to drag the end points. Click and hold as you start to move an end point. Before the point moves, a red cross will appear indicating that the points have been joined into one.

4. I just used the cut out tool on the newly closed path.