PDA

View Full Version : DB15 Connector?

Rich1947
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know what the DB15 connector on he back of the CC is for?

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Does anyone know what the DB15 connector on he back of the CC is for?

If I told you what it is for I would be lying. Supposedly it is for a future development...right now it just collects dust.

cajunpen
03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't know for sure what they call it - but there is a connection plug for the scanner probe on the back of the machine. I suspect that is what you are asking about - if not, I have no idea what the DB15 Connector is for:)

pkunk
03-14-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know for sure what they call it - but there is a connection plug for the scanner probe on the back of the machine. I suspect that is what you are asking about - if not, I have no idea what the DB15 Connector is for:)
Wrong! The scanner plugs into the Z-truck.:rolleyes:

rgant05
03-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I think someone from CW said it was either for future expansion and/or used in calibrating the machine at the factory. It may serve both purposes.

Gman_Ind
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
These are a general use connector, could be used for several things. BUT
Most DB15 (DA15) are for serial communications. For testing/configuring? perhaps or hopefully for a DNC connection, I personally have used a PC to push data to older CNC controllers. There are pros and cons to doing this. Some I have seem are , Pros: spools a large amount of data (big part) onto a controller.
It has enabled us to use 3d modeling software and CNC + G code on really old controllers this one has a punch tape reader.
Cons: needs a dedicated cabled PC to spool from, serial communications can be simple or complex to setup correctly, a proper post processor is needed to generate the right code. and as far as I have seen Carvewright does not accept g code??

kyeakel
03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Most of the DB-15 connectors I've seen are for connecting a video monitor. The serial ports are DB-9 or DB-25 connectors.

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
The DB-15 VGA connectors have three rows, the DB-15 connectors used on the CW (and some used for serial com on some CNC's and PLC's), have two rows. In reality the connector type does not tell you much about is functionality (most of the time ;) )

rgant05
03-15-2007, 09:33 PM
They CAN be used for anything that you want to use them for. They are connectors to connector wires together. I have used them for connecting computer, stepping motors to controllers, serial links, parrallel links and what ever else you can think of. I thought the questions is what DO they use it for. Hence the answer I gave that I believe it was someone from CW or someone that had talked to them, that said it was for future expansion and calibration. You guys will have someone pluging their monitor in and wondering why they can't view the progress of the project LMAO

Cliff
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
rgant05 is correct in the generalized answer given by CW, only CW knows what they may use it for or have planned for it in the future. And before anyone else notices the connector inside, on the left side, under the clear lid, I believe CW said it was for future accessories.
I was thinking one of them might have been for a future espresso machine option. darn

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
The one on the left is for a rotation unit like the Laser Engravers use.... in the future. That plug has 5 or 6 wires and 2 more join it before it pluggs into the back circuit board. They are for the lid switch next to the keyboard side. The other switch has 115 VAC running through it to the motor.

I found this out when blowing air in to clear dust and blew the plug off and got the close cover fault.

The 5 or 6 wires are in the same configuration as the wires I pulled from my Z axis stepper motor to pull the encoder for repair.

AL

Gman_Ind
03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
When I had the bottom cover off checking the power issue I had I noticed an empty circular housing cast into the plastic under the CC. it could be for another motor or a feeder?? just guessing. it looks like it was planned for something that obviously is not there now. I would like to know what nice features are on the horizon.