PDA

View Full Version : Hot spindle

dehrlich
11-03-2015, 09:19 PM
I just put a new truck assembly on my CS machine due to a bad bearing in the original one. I have run two carves and both times the spindle gets hot enough the bits are uncomfortable to handle when removed. Also the flex cable is getting pretty hot, close to too hot in places. It is a fairly new cable recently lubed according to specs. The new spindle doesn't sound bad, and seems to spin free enough. Any suggestions? Does it just need to "run in"?

Dale
11-04-2015, 10:25 AM
I had the same problem, talked to LHR and was told there was a 12 - 15 hour break-in period where the spindle could be warmer than normal but it should never get too hot to touch. It also got the flex cable very warm near the spindle. I just kept an eye on it, several times had to let it cool down for a few minutes but now it runs fine.

Digitalwoodshop
11-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Just to be sure..... Remove the top hat and inspect for any excess flex lube sitting on top of the upper bearing...

Better be sure... we all know heating is somewhat normal until break in. Hate to see a burned up spindle from ignoring the obvious...

AL