PDA

View Full Version : NOVEMBER 2015 Project of the Month - Weaved Kitchen Knife Holder

mtylerfl
11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Hello,

This is an easy-to-make universal Kitchen Knife Holder project featuring a classic lattice weave design theme on the curved side panels. Safely stows knives with blade lengths of up to 11" long. A great gift or addition to your own kitchen!

Knives are held in place using bamboo skewers that fill the holder’s cavity. As an option, you can use uncooked rice, dried beans or even uncooked spaghetti noodles in the cavity instead of the skewers! This Weaved Kitchen Knife Holder also makes a nice companion/matching piece to several previous projects...the Weaved Paper Towel and Napkin Holders, the Wheat & Weave Bread Box and the Tea Box projects. All are available online at the CarveWright Project Store (http://store.carvewright.com)

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The overall dimensions of the finished project are about: 3.75" D x 7.5" W x 12" T

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Knife_Holder_Panels.mpc
• Plain_Panels.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Knife Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 32"
Plain Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 20"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Bundle (1000) of 10.8" Bamboo Skewers*
*(dried beans, uncooked spaghetti, or rice can be substituted)

BambooMN Brand Premium Round Sharp Point Bamboo Skewers 10.8" X 3mm - 1,000 pieces

$14.88 Amazon Prime at the time of this writing. Link:
http://www.amazon.com/BambooMN-Brand-Premium-Bamboo-Skewers/dp/B007SXC3CU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1446424220&sr=8-4&keywords=bamboomn+skewers&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

4) Sandpaper, drill, glue, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Knife Holder made from Select Pine:

• One very light coat of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Traditional Cherry
• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

dbemus
11-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Very nice project Michael. It will be a great addition to the previous projects with the lattice weave. Just got an order for the tea box, I have carved several tea boxes, a very popular item. Thank you!

bergerud
11-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Very cool idea. The bamboo is ingenious. (The rice, not so much. Everyone better go with the bamboo!)

mtylerfl
11-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Very nice project Michael. It will be a great addition to the previous projects with the lattice weave. Just got an order for the tea box, I have carved several tea boxes, a very popular item. Thank you!

Thank you! The Tea Box is still one of my favorite projects. I've made three for gifts and kept the original for myself!

mtylerfl
11-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Very cool idea. The bamboo is ingenious. (The rice, not so much. Everyone better go with the bamboo!)

Thank you. I wish I could claim the bamboo idea as my own...but, no...I've seen it done before. I had good luck when testing dried navy beans (white) and even dried green lentils! Rice worked too, but was a lot more dense. I did a rudimentary test with dried spaghetti by jabbing a knife into the end of a spaghetti box.

A possible downside of using "foodstuffs" for the filler is it could be more susceptible to moisture. It's cheap to replace though, if/when needed!

bergerud
11-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Rice worked too, but was a lot more dense.

What if it gets knocked over? I am thinking rice all over the floor!

mtylerfl
11-04-2015, 10:31 PM
What if it gets knocked over? I am thinking rice all over the floor!
Yes...that would be quite a mess alright!:p