PDA

View Full Version : Here is something interesting

TerryT
10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Not too long ago I bought a used machine. I purchased and installed the carvetight chuck and all new roller bearing.
I have used the machine quite a bit but it just never had the quality of the other 3 machines. I checked and checked but could never find out what the rough and fuzzy carves were caused by.

My part time helper mentioned he noticed a click when he tightened a bit into the chuck. Thinking the roller bearings need to be adjusted, I pulled them out. This is what I found.
The hex head is supposed to be tight up against the bearing. I tried tapping in in farther but it wouldn't budge. Must have been made that way.
Notice one of the bearings is 1-16 out of line. Also the top ridge shows wear rather than in the groove.

bergerud
10-29-2015, 04:24 PM
You should be able to press that in with a vise. The way it was puts it "out of the plane" of the other three bearings.

Digitalwoodshop
10-29-2015, 06:16 PM
A little heat might help... but I agree, a vice or bearing press should fix it...

I remember my first encounter with the bearings when the upper left Z truck bearing came loose and I tried to use a scribe to hold the slot on the back... Major Fail... Ripped the Dust cover off.... Then the bearings fell out... that was in 2007.

Here is a link to what I believe is the same bearing.... http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8369

Interesting.... 2 sets of ball bearings inside....

AL

TerryT
10-29-2015, 06:35 PM
You should be able to press that in with a vise. The way it was puts it "out of the plane" of the other three bearings.

Yes, indeed it does. I may try resetting it but I have a dozen or so good used ones already.

bergerud
10-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Well it is interesting. It must have been that way from the start and so it seems like a quality control problem.

TerryT
10-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Hard to believe I didn't notice it when I installed it but I think you are right about it being that way from the start. That is one I haven't seen before, and I thought I had seen it all in the last 8 years.