PDA

View Full Version : Hush Box

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I have created a "hush box" for my CompuCarve that helps to cut down on the noise of the unit. I used foam insulation from Home Depot and have created a dust collector port under the table.

I would be happy to send photos via email if you will send your requests to: jspringertx@sbcglobal.net

forqnc
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Watch out for overheating. Let us know how it goes.

Kenm810
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I like the name – “hush box”, if you have an under or down draft table/cabinet you should be pulling enough air through the machine to keep it from over heating.
Mine pulls about 600 to 800 cfm. But just to be on the safe side I have an inexpensive heat gauge in the top of mine, that’s where the is going rises to.
ken

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I appreciate the comments on the heat guage. Heat is not a problem right now as I have the unit in the garage and I monitor it very closely.

With the high heat and temp in the Houston summers I will have to install some sort of cooling system in addition to the draw thru dust collector.

If anyone has any ideas just drop me a line. I have three photos that I can email you if you want to get a rough idea of what I have done.

pkunk
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I I have three photos that I can email you if you want to get a rough idea of what I have done.

Why not just post them, so we can all see.:confused:

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Due to the limits of the forum they would be so small that you couldn't see them.

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Due to the limits of the forum they would be so small that you couldn't see them.

Here are two of the images. Hopefully you can see them.

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Here are two of the images. Hopefully you can see them.

Here is image #3. I didn't realize that I could upload the images. How stupid of me.

I am NOT a cabinetmaker or craftsman so forgive the poor construction of the cabinet. I just assembled the cabinet as I went along and made many changes to the design.

The taller cap was due to the fact that I did not take into consideration the flex-shaft and I had to add 4" to the top of the box.

I am working on the dust collection and cooling system.

pkunk
03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
That's pretty slick! And involved. How much does it cut the noise down?

jspringertx
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
It reduces the high pitched whine of the machine quite a bit. I think that better insulation would do a better job, but the foam was cheap and easy to apply.

I think I will add a sheet of foam to the bottom and cut a hole for dust collection similar to your idea. I have a hole now that does drag some sawdust into the gutter I installed under the table.

My wife still insists that I wear ear protection.

I have to admit that I obtained some great ideas from Ron in Rockport.

liquidguitars
03-15-2007, 12:16 AM
My wife still insists that I wear ear protection.

I made a out house size shed that I can wheel the unit into,
Its tricky to dampen as most of the sound comes out of side doors.

I think that we need to make a tuned pipe for the muffler :p

Kenm810
03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Eye, Ear, and any other safety protection you use, are always wise while working around any cutting machines. That’s a long standing shop rule.

jspringertx
03-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I made a out house size shed that I can wheel the unit into,
Its tricky to dampen as most of the sound comes out of side doors.

I think that we need to make a tuned pipe for the muffler :p

You are correct about the side doors.

I put hinges on the doors and close them when the machine is running. Of course if he board sticks out either side I an raise the doors enough to allow the board to pass thru.

Since I am nosy and like to watch the machine work I always wear my ear protection when I have the top door open.

Mike
03-15-2007, 03:13 PM
WOW!! That is pretty cool!! It looks like a lot of work. Almost easier to build another room for the machine lol.

jspringertx
03-15-2007, 03:59 PM
WOW!! That is pretty cool!! It looks like a lot of work. Almost easier to build another room for the machine lol.

It took me 1/2 day to assemble the box and another 2 hours to cut down the box to add an angle to the front of the box.

Of course if I built another shed I would have to add A/C, electrical, and a phone. Now I just close my garage door and my shop vac makes more noise than the unit.

CW Rookie
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I am NOT a cabinetmaker or craftsman so forgive the poor construction of the cabinet. I just assembled the cabinet as I went along and made many changes to the design.

I am working on the dust collection and cooling system.

Nice idea! Looks like a printer cabinet we used to have for an old Wang printer - it wouldn't be tall enough but had the paper exit slot, a cooling fan in the side, lots of sound control material, and a plexiglass cover so you could still see what was going on. But then that was back in the old dot matrix printer days . . .

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Doc, Thought it was your picture but I see it's the Commander and Chief Bush.... LOL....

AL

eepers
03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I was amazed at how cheap 4" acoustic wedge foam is online in many places. I'm currently moving into a new house and will be lining my new woodshop area with that stuff (via velcro) over the dust collection system pipes to combat the reported audio as well. Those wedge tiles are crazy effective, we use them here in the audio department at my office and you can blare whatever crazy audio you want in that office and not even notice it in the office next door.

Sadly, even though my brand new Carvewright is sitting in the woodshop, my wife is threatening physical harm if I use it before my dust collection system is in place, haha.

That does bring up something I'll have to solve though, which is not wanting dust on all the foam room linings, I think I'll cover the foam with some hanging dropcloth or something.

Kenm810
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
eepers,
I’m not sure how well the hanging drop cloths would work or how you would move and clean them, with out get the dust back into the air and on the foam lining. You might consider a shop - room air filter like the ones Jets makes. My shop has negative air that the vents the air through filters to the out side every 15 minutes. The other shop has a closed system using a jet twin filter. Both systems help remove the dust and keep it from settling on surfaces. Just a thought.

Gman_Ind
03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
The jet dust collectors are an inexpensive investment, well worth it. IMHO

eepers
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, my plan was to install the dust collection system, then do the acoustic foam over (or around) everything.

The self proclaimed "dust guy" at Woodcraft reccomended a Delta dust system and made it sound pretty attractive.

Ken, when you say "room air filter" do you mean simply having one of the ports from the dust system going to a larger vent exposed to the general room or something?

jonweis
03-22-2007, 03:22 PM
:DHere is a url to describe a shop air cleaner http://www.tylertool.com/deapaircl.html

This one happens to be a Delta and not Jet brand but they do the same thing and each brand have features of their own. The alternative is to build your own using an easily found fan/blower from an old furnace (any heat and air contractor usually have all kinds laying around their shop and are free or very low priced.) Then simply build a box enclosure and add a couple of furnace filters on the inlet and viola ya have a "shop air cleaner". Probably did mine for less than $25 and keeps my 900 sf. shop very dust free when used with my dust collection system. I even have mine running on a timer so it doesn't run all the time.

Jon

Yeah, my plan was to install the dust collection system, then do the acoustic foam over (or around) everything.

The self proclaimed "dust guy" at Woodcraft reccomended a Delta dust system and made it sound pretty attractive.

Ken, when you say "room air filter" do you mean simply having one of the ports from the dust system going to a larger vent exposed to the general room or something?

Kenm810
03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
eepers,

jonweis has the right idea, (bravo Jon for saving a couple hundred bucks by building a device that dose the same job the commercial units do) a room or shop dust filter is any combination of a fan and filter media that circulates the dust ladened air through some kind of container, in this case a wooden or metal box, allowing the filters to trap the dust and returning clean air to the same environment . Another plus if build your, you size it to fit “your”shop needs
p.s.
Be sure to remember the finer the filter the more often they have to be cleaned or replaced. Also filters for the brand name units are normal used, then discarded, this can be very costly. Where as the ones for your home made unit can be fitted with good quality wash and reusable furnace or hepa filters. Our commercial filters are replaced weekly.

eepers
03-22-2007, 05:11 PM
(Sorry for the thread deviation here BTW)

Is there something along those lines that can run based on your actual dust collection system itself? Basically hooking one of the dust collection hoses to a large funnel-type box with a filter on it or something?

Perhaps something along these lines:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10578&cookietest=1

Excellent work on that homebuilt box BTW!

jonweis
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
What the Rockler illustration shows is a "hood" to "catch" the shavings from the lathe (in this case) and directs them into the hose of the "dust collector" What we are referring to is a unit that independently cleans the air in the shop of dust particles that you would inhale into your lungs as a result of operating machinery such as a sander, cw, table saw, lathe or any other power tool that in turn puts uncollected dust into the shop environment. A collector collects mainly the large chips and dust produced by the machine and carries them to a container that is enclosed.

Hope this kinda clears things up a little,
Jon
P.S.

What we're talking about here is "particulate size" The stuff the "dust collector" sucks into a bag or bin or cyclone is primarily "visible" particles. What an air cleaner cleans is the particulate matter that is suspended in the air that is over and above that which the "dust collector" collects and can "trap" within it's system. These particles are measured in "microns" Or really little stuff sometimes measured in "messurshmidts or milihornies" (an old wood working term) (smiles) Actually really little stuf....

Kenm810
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
hope this isn't over kill,
I’m sure it would work, but would be limited by its size and the number of other blast gates open. They are only relatively efficient, when the dust is heavy enough and headed in the direction of its inlet. I would make a cardboard mock and try that before investing in a store bought unit. I think you’ll see its faults. To clean the air in shop properly, I have found at least for my own use that the fan and filter have to be dedicated to that job alone. Also remember it will be powered up and running long after your power tools or machines are shut down.

pkunk
03-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Some of the advantages of real Dust collectors are the micronic pleated filters they use & my 3 hp. has a built in remote that also has a 2-4-6 hour timer built in. It will clear the air almost as well as an air cleaner. It is louder, though. www.grizzly.com/ (file:///Users/paulkunkel/Desktop/www.grizzly.com:%201.webloc)
Type dust collector in the search field.

Cliff
03-22-2007, 06:21 PM
pkunk

Do the lights dim in the city when you turn that on?

Cliff

pkunk
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Not at all. I have a 200 amp service just for the shop, and frequently there will be running the 3hp DC, 3hp saw, 5hp sander, & sometimes the 8" jointer which I think is only 2hp. Sometimes I let the CW run also.:D

Kenm810
03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Bet ca –He’s got nuclear power plant hidden out in the back 40 too.

Ron Baird
03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I have been using a hush box with a dust collection system for a year with no problems. I am travelling back to Canada right now so I can not show any pictures. The box folds up for transport easily. I will post pictures and information in about a month when I get home.

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Egg cartons stuck flush to the walls works great to deaden sound also.

Drummer from the 60's.

dougmsbbs
01-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Pkunk, I'm jealous. I take a look at the pictures from your shop, and I think 'someday. maybe.'
While LHR has had my machine, I took the time to clean up my 'shop', which is a 10' by 13' room. I have the CW in it, as well as a cutoff saw, a router table, a lathe, a table saw, two shelf units, and a movable table for assembly. It's the kind of place where you don't turn around if somethings running, 'cause your gonna back into something that's spinning, and it's gonna hurt...
Oh, well. Someday. Maybe...

castingman
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
If you build a sound box around your cc and hook up a DC You have to let the same amount of air in as the DC is removeing, this will also aid in cooling
MICHAEL

pkunk
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Pkunk, I'm jealous. I take a look at the pictures from your shop, and I think 'someday. maybe.'
While LHR has had my machine, I took the time to clean up my 'shop', which is a 10' by 13' room. I have the CW in it, as well as a cutoff saw, a router table, a lathe, a table saw, two shelf units, and a movable table for assembly. It's the kind of place where you don't turn around if somethings running, 'cause your gonna back into something that's spinning, and it's gonna hurt...
Oh, well. Someday. Maybe...
I understand.;) However, it took lots of kitchen cabinets to pay for the tools that are in there now, not to mention the building. Now, it's all paid for so profits turn into toys! :D:D Of course SS isn't enough to live on so I'll have to work there until the day I die.