PDA

View Full Version : My 2015 Secret Project

ronboley
10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Last years project was a pirate chest / toy box project that started out casually with no set schedule for completion or any other requirements and turned into a project with a (grandson's) first birthday deadline and central theme of the first birthday party. Whew...what pressure! With that experience I vowed that all future projects would be "secret" projects, revealed (to my family) only when completion was eminent so the pressure of a deadline would not occur. With the grandson's second birthday approaching I very secretly started an ABC blocks and carrier project, suspecting that it would be a much smaller and simpler project than the last.

Oh boy. I underestimated the difficulty of a six sided carve...on 36 separate blocks. Ever done a "double sided" carve ? Well this is a double sided carve times three. It's not so hard to make up a .mpc file with abc's and 123's...but to construct a sled that will hold 36 blocks rigidly, perfectly square, perfectly in location and with perfect repeatability proved to be uh...quite challenging. So after a few failed attempts I used some bolt and nut "clamps" to tighten the blocks in place and after some shimming and experimenting I got the carving "close". The photos are of some of the "failures" and of the final (unsanded or finished) blocks and the sled. Also a photo of the carrier box that will eventually sport wheels and a pull rope.

Basics are the blocks are 2-1/2" cubes of hard maple. Note I carved the top and bottom without the square carve area as I carved the sides too deep and would "disconnect" the inner cube if the top and bottom were the same. I've corrected the .mpc files to fix that. When completed I'll post more photos, the .mpc files and some improvements I would make to attempt this again.

Oh and apparently there's another grandchild on the way so next year should be double the fun...

oscarl48
10-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Wow. That was a lot of work. Wonderful piece and I am sure your grandchild will appreciate it even when he hands it down to his children.

bergerud
10-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Nice project. Very frustrating I bet. I have played quite a bit with six sided carves. I would use a jig that stays in the machine and allows for blocks to switched in and out (without having to remeasure the jig each time). That way, once the jig is positioned right, the blocks can be switched in and out and cut consistently.

zan29
10-06-2015, 01:07 PM
That is one amazing project! Thank you for sharing!
Suzanne

10-06-2015, 05:42 PM
This is some stunning stuff! Serial six sided carves! I wouldn't even think of trying this. Now I'm inspired.

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Very Impressive Project... :)

A Vacuum Sled might work too...

AL

lynnfrwd
10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Too bad Michael Tyler didn't introduce his NOEL holiday cubes earlier...great job on the block box project!

ronboley
10-11-2015, 08:15 PM
The ABC blocks and the storage box are done...in time for the grandson's birthday next Saturday...thanks to my wife for her painting help...the details...blocks are 2-1/2" square hard maple, the box is from 3/4" poplar 12" x 13"....finish is with color tinted glaze and "kid friendly" lacquer overcoats. I used the carve area (ABC Jasmine) on four sides and the simple letters (ABC Bare) on the top and bottom. The ABC Jasmine 125 file here is 1/8" deep carve rather than the 1/4" deep carve I used, which resulted in "open" areas at the edges of the blocks. So if someone wishes to carve this project the (ABC Jasmine 125) should carve fine an all six sides. A word of warning...the biggest problem was to get the carving to register on the blocks perfectly and carve the same each time...so the (ABC Bare) would be the most forgiving way to carve six sides accommodating some variations...Time wise, the carvings were six-seven hours each. It took the two of us two days to paint the details on the blocks. Total time and man hours to fabricate the blocks, sled(s), box parts, then carve everything, assemble, sand (two & half days), paint and finish....approximately 100 hours over two months.

Wood Art 1
10-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Impressive work. The time involved would be overwhelming. You have amazing patience to work out the details and to persevere to the end. So, who decided not to paint the train on the box. LOL LOL. (I'm a train nut.) And, so how do you outdo this for the next grandchild's birthday?...oops, should leave you some recovery time. When it's fun and it's for the grandkids, nothing will get in the way of a grandpa on a mission.

SharonB
10-12-2015, 12:46 AM
It's hard to imagine all the design and carving time you've put into this project. You'll need to take your wife out for lunch/dinner for all her hard work too. A heirloom for sure.

mikemi
10-12-2015, 07:40 PM
ronboley,

Fantastic work from both you and your wife. I am sure your grandson will cherish them for years to come.

Mike

cestout
10-13-2015, 05:37 PM
I really like that sled idea! I have 14, 2 are new this year, but 3 have aged out at 18 years. I have been making Christmas presents for them since I got my first CompuCarve in 2007. The problem is to come up with new ideas each year, and make each unique for that kid. I have posted them here some years. Gotta start early. But this year I am suddenly swamped with business (can't complain). I am using Michael T's Stacked Books box for most, instead of my own design, but the little ones will get my "Treasure Chest" (in the store).
Clint