PDA

View Full Version : Changing out plastic roller wheel?

chebytrk
10-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Machine #1.
Not sure if that's what it's called (plastic roller wheel). My symptoms were that when the board was being measured length wise, all would stop and I'd get an error. After several times I notice that rollers would move the board and stop and start. So I checked on the forum and read the suggestion that it might be a worn out plastic roller "cog" wheel? Anyway, I checked and sure enough that's exactly what it is (flattened and missing teeth). I'll have to order a set now, but I was trying to get it all ready and remove the wheel (it's the wheel that's turned by the biggest wheel as you face it). Anyway, I can't remove the big wheel because of the slot that it sits in at the bottom. Is there an order to do this to get to it? I even removed the rubber belt and still can not get it out.

Machine #2... yup my luck that both decide to stop working. This one goes thru the measurement, but when it goes to measure the width the bit goes to the right of the board (after touching bit plate by brass roller correctly) and goes up and down 2-3 times and then tells me to make sure the slide plate is set (which it is). If I try again, it measures to that spot, but after touching the slide plate it stops (resting on top of the board) and I get the error 0613. I checked to make sure that the bit is set correctly and all is good there. Is it time to paint this one yellow, call it a dog and shoot it?
Any suggestions & ideas are appreciated.
Rgds, JerryB

bergerud
10-03-2015, 12:56 PM
For machine #1 look at: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf

For machine #2 see if the bit has drilled a hole in the touch point beside the brass roller.

fwharris
10-03-2015, 01:08 PM
You have to remove the whole gear assembly to get to the gear http://support.carvewright.com/replacing-the-x-drive-gear-plate-assembly/

Machine 2, what other info is there with the 0613 error?

chebytrk
10-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info and pdf sir.
As for machine 2, it had drilled a hole earlier, but I glued a small little plate to cover the hole. Do you think maybe the plate might be a little to thick. It's a "stick on" ceiling fan weight. It covers the spot real good. Just that I have doubts now. Maybe I should have just glued a small coin (dime) like I've done many years ago with a different machine. Think I'll remove the little weight and maybe just fill the hole the JB Weld or maybe a coin again....

For machine #1 look at: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf

For machine #2 see if the bit has drilled a hole in the touch point beside the brass roller.

fwharris
10-03-2015, 01:19 PM
That just might be your problem! Worth a try with a thinner piece.

Digitalwoodshop
10-03-2015, 01:54 PM
On my machines I used a Dremel tool to cut away the plastic on the machine frame and next to the threaded rod to let the first gear be removed easily. Did this on all my machines and when I snap a gear it is a very quick fix. I use some tape to seal the bottom of the dust cover where the plastic is missing.

That is just what I did on my "A" machines. Not sure if "B" and "C" Machines are different. Just a suggestion... Cut at your own risk...

Be sure to look for the broken teeth so that they do not jam the new gear and snap it.

AL

myshop1044
10-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Nice to see you on the forum ago old buddy.

chebytrk
10-03-2015, 06:36 PM
I still lurk around and see what's going on with the forum. LOL.. I'm just not able to contribute too much with suggestions on patterns and stuff since I'm still on the ol' software (1.187) and can't view all the new stuff. However, I still say this is probably one of the best forums around. People are still just as friendly and always willing to help whether just advice or sometimes with a project when someone is in a jam. I thought I'd actually have more time for carving now that I'm "officially" retired, but it seems that the Shriners International keep me and my wife plenty busy with doing fund raisers, parades and stuff for our hospitals. She and I also go to visit the children in the hospitals in Galveston and Houston (as clowns of course). I guess as long as it's fun and still makes me feel good it's all that matters... but I don't forget my CW Forum family! LOL

bergerud
10-04-2015, 11:07 AM
With regards to the machine #2 problem, is the board on a sled?

If it is on a sled, the bobbing for the sliding plate (and not finding it) is normal. If you say yes, it should ask you for the board thickness.

If the machine measures the width of the board to be less than it is, the bob for the sliding plate can stall into the top of the board.