PDA

View Full Version : 3" round PVC lithophane display idea

Gary Koval
10-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't know if this idea has been shared, but I have been thinking about this for some time, and finally tried it out. If this has been addressed point me to the post so I can delete this one.
This deals with the 3" round pvc lithophanes. The kids bought my wife some time ago a rotating round base with colored led's in the middle, and you could display these square or rectangle pieces of glass with different designs in the middle of them, (see pic).
I found a place on eBay that sells the rotating base in the $11.00 range, driven by an included power pack. 3 AA's batteries can be used but the base will not rotate under battery power. But when I put my lithophanes on the base, the colors did not have enough light, looked kinda cool, but not bright enough. So went to my local Harbor Freight store, and purchased a pack of 2- 9 bulb white led flashlights for $3.00. After a little modification I now have a lithophane that rotates approx one revolution a minute with plenty of white light. I tried purchasing a white led rotating base, but I could not seem to find a reasonable priced one, prices jumped considerably.
Anyway just another idea, hopefully new, for our hobby.
Thanks,
Gary

henry1
10-02-2015, 05:26 PM
now that is nice were did you get the lighting wow

fwharris
10-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Gary,

Great idea on converting the flashlights to the round light housing base. Doing the same/similar thing is some where on my want to do list. I would like to do it for outside solar lights.

DonCP
10-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Very good idea. Thanks

Bigtyme
10-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Great ideas, Gary. Nice options for rotary lithos. Thank you for sharing them....

ktjwilliams
10-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Cool ... Put the Ebay seller link up ....

Gary Koval
10-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Well, I mistaken said eBay, sorry, meant Amazon.com. And the price was under $10.00 shipped. I hope this link works... Not very good at attaching links.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00570W5GU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

farmer
10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
I have made several using a rotating base from National Art Craft. This one uses 6- 1/4 panels glued in hex shape I also have made several using 3' PVC.

DianMayfield
10-05-2015, 04:46 PM
You guys do beautiful work. I am getting ready to do my first Litho... what's the purpose of carving the image so the carved portion faces out. Sounds like an awful dust collector??

farmer
10-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Here is one using the 3' PVC