PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt Steering/tracking?

searstoolsguy
03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone, I am a Sears Tools Consultant, I have cus't who is having a problem with the drive belts ( the sand paper belts that feed the material to the machine) staying alligned, they keep working their way to the left side of the machine (the control pannel side) and binding on the machine. right now he has been taking the rollers off every time he runs it, removing the tension and re aligning the belts manually. basiclly, we need to know is their a way top steer the belts, simular to a standard tracking on a belt sander, or is the way he is doing it the only way?
thanks
Mike the sears tool guy from Lacey Wa.

jonweis
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2489&highlight=tearing+paper
might give you a clue.

Jon

pkunk
03-13-2007, 06:03 PM
When I had that problem CW told me the only fix was a new carriage. Sent me new ones, problem solved.

searstoolsguy
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2489&highlight=tearing+paper
might give you a clue.

Jon

thanks for the information, I read the post and the PDF files that were refrenced, the way outlined in the PDF file is what he is doing now to fix the tracking, but it keeps happing, he wanted to find a way to actually STEER the rollers so that the belts don't drift one way or another.

thanks
Mike the sears tool guy from Lacey Wa.

Ron Baird
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Try reversing the belts end for end and see if it makes a difference. if the belts are the cause they should move to the other side if they are turned around. Another cause can be the shafts with the tension springs can bind in the aluminum housings, not applying equal tension on both sides of the rollers.

BoardSilly
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Excellent suggestion Ron, I've had cheapo belts for my belt sander that were not quite cut square and would run out all the time. Reversing them is an easy way to check this.

menewfy
03-14-2007, 10:37 AM
another thing to ask is this

If it has been binding has he had to cut or trim the belt at all if so then the side with the belt still there will have more tension that the other side which will also cause it to travel against the rail.

just one penny for my thoughts please.