PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in find bit loop

FWMiller
09-30-2015, 05:39 PM
At project load I'm having a problem getting stuck in a continual loop measuring the carving bit. I successfully ran the carve earlier in the day but after modifying the design slightly and uploading again I can't get it to carve. Here's my sequence of steps after loading the design:

Stay under roller - No (it's on a sled with more than extra 3.5" on each end)
Measure board is successful
Select "Jog to Position"
Select 1/16 carve bit.
Finding bit routine starts. Touches flip out plate twice and goes home.
Finding surface routine starts. Hit stop and select jog and jog to position.
Carriage goes home and then goes to position correctly and touches down 3 times. It looks like it is touching down correctly.
Instead of moving on it stops and asks to load the 1/16 carving bit again. I hit enter twice and it goes home again, moves out to the same place and touches the surface 3 times and asks me to load the 1/16 carving bit again. It will repeat this over and over again if you hit enter every time it asks you to load the bit.

I've tried reflashing the card and re-uploading the design. Not sure what else to try. The sides on the sled are about 1/4 inch higher than the surface of the project board (hence need to jog to position when finding surface) but I have done this before without any trouble.

Thanks,

Frederick

cestout
09-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Try cleaning the board sensor. I have had this happen and that fixed it.
Clint

lynnfrwd
09-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Under SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPIC put PLEASE LOAD BIT into the search bar for troubleshooting guide: http://support.carvewright.com/please-load-bit-message/

bergerud
09-30-2015, 06:08 PM
The sides on the sled are about 1/4 inch higher than the surface of the project board

I think this is the problem. The bit can only touch about 1/4" below the rollers before it thinks that there is a problem. As a test put a shim under the touch. If it passes, you know this is the problem.

I think that you are just on the "edge" with the 1/4" and if the bit plate bends up a little or you do not clamp the head down quite as hard, it could pass into the error.

Edit: Note that this is not in the trouble shooting guide!

FWMiller
09-30-2015, 07:53 PM
I think this is the problem. The bit can only touch about 1/4" below the rollers before it thinks that there is a problem. As a test put a shim under the touch. If it passes, you know this is the problem.

I think that you are just on the "edge" with the 1/4" and if the bit plate bends up a little or you do not clamp the head down quite as hard, it could pass into the error.

Edit: Note that this is not in the trouble shooting guide!

Thank you. You were right on. My board thickness was right on the edge of what the firmware has a problem with. The first piece of wood I tried was about 1/32" thicker than the second and worked fine. When I put back in a piece the same thickness as the original the problem went away. Would be helpful if the firmware said hey stop dummy, you're doing it the wrong way.....:).

Frederick

bergerud
09-30-2015, 08:23 PM
If you really want to continue and carve the piece, you can extend the bit out of the chuck a little after the touch at the bit plate. The touch at the board should then be ok and it will carve.