PDA

View Full Version : Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Pages : [1] 2 3

oscarl48
09-23-2015, 07:30 PM
I was asked if I could create a tutorial video on how I create my patterns. Its been a somewhat long road to get to where I am at and I am nowhere near being proficient yet.

The whole skill sets in creating good tutorials is also an entirely different thing as well. So here is my first video creation as an experiment and as a learning point for myself. It is not a tutorial but a quick over the shoulder look at how I make a simple cross. The entire process took maybe three minutes from opening blender 3d to having the CW pattern. This is not indicative of what a complex pattern takes. I have literally taken several weeks to build a complex 3d model. The skills value in creating 3d models is cross platform which can be used in 3d printing and general cnc pattern creation.

https://youtu.be/dCphETgQfww

Youtube has been my #1 instructor in learning blender 3d. I have purchased several books on blender 3d which were also very valuable tools but the videos cemented my learning. Like everything else practice and more practice helps fine tune the skills. Again nowhere near proficient but a ton of fun.

zan29
09-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Very well done Oscar. You're gettin' purdy darn good at this.

oscarl48
09-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Thanks Suzanne. Making the video was way harder than I thought it would be since I was putting two videos together with different formats and video size. I played with video like 15 years ago and I've forgotten everything. I still have to figure out how to add sound correctly as a sound track.

I can record sound as I do the screen capture but don't like the idea. Too many background noises and broken speech. I have trouble doing two things at once. talking and walking at the same time is a challenge. :)

dltccf
09-24-2015, 11:00 AM
nice video, you made the blender work look very easy.

dave

bergerud
09-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Way too fast for me! It just looks like magic.

oscarl48
09-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Dave, it is easy. Or at least parts of it. That was the simple stuff. Anyone can learn that in about 30 minutes. Its mainly learning the software interface.

Its the advanced stuff that blows my mind. I am astounded by real 3d artists regardless of the software they use.

Dan, it is magic. :) I have no clue how the software works so it must be magic.

jpaluck
09-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Good Job Oscar!!

Stay with quads once you master them you can create anything for cnc. You right the interface is key

oscarl48
09-25-2015, 08:05 PM
John,

Thanks. Slowly making progress but a long ways from mastering the software. I am amazed at what technology allows us.

sunmiztres
09-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Great job! It would be really great if you had extra time and narrated the video as you slowly did the project ;)

oscarl48
09-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Heather,

That was a great comment about time. I have more hobbies than time and that dang work thing keeps me away from doing the fun stuff.

Also doing videos for posting are a completely new thing for me. Another hobby to learn.

Having said that I really do want to do one or two more videos that are actual tutorials. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to try (still not great at any of it).

After 1.5 years I finally have my CW tuned in and its happily carving as I type. Finger crossed it stays that way for a while.

Regards,
Oscar

Jinxed myself. Walked out to check on the carve and got stung by a wasp. I've been stung by a bee and a bumble bee before but first time by a wasp. I can state that it is much more painful experience than the first two stings.

oscarl48
09-28-2015, 07:27 PM
I think I'll keep using this thread. I learned how to show the keys typed in blender so I can start building basic tutorials.

Here is a super fast tutorial on how to make the jagged star I posted under Holiday and Seasonal. Still experimenting with videos so not very advanced or professional but the tutorial shows how easy it is to make this pattern using blender and modifiers. As an alternate do the same without the modifier.

https://youtu.be/9ICRDWqwqlg

I did not show exporting as stl because its pretty self explanatory. Ensure under user preference stl export check box is checked and then on the main screen select export and then from the sub menu select stl.

cestout
09-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Your are inspiring me to find time (don't know how) to learn blender.
Clint

oscarl48
10-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Clint,

Its not the most user friendly software in the world but you can't beat the price.

Oscar

oscarl48
10-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Spartan helmet pattern in under 3 minutes. Obviously you can and should take longer to clean it up and make it look better but the technique shows how to create this pattern in a matter of minutes.

https://youtu.be/m3zDK4Xtnu0

Pattern created enclosed. :)

oscarl48
10-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Last pattern build. Another super easy pattern that shows the amazing power of mixing different techniques in model creation. Its a simple candle 3d model (pattern enclosed). When importing to CW Designer you can bisect and select the side that is showing to maximize height. Total build time under 3 minutes. Take your time and master the simple techniques and you will be able to create masterpieces.

https://youtu.be/06tPUjW4cDg

This was fun and learned a lot. Hopefully whetted some of the novice pattern builders to delve into a 3d package. There are several very good programs out there. Blender 3d is just one of many though again you can't really beat the price.

This is only one method in building patterns. Each has its own place and skills required but they all can make great looking patterns.

P.S. I still have a long ways to go but feel a lot more comfortable in building patterns.

dltccf
10-17-2015, 08:37 AM
You make it look so easy, I played with blender a long time ago, I need to try it again

oscarl48
10-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Been out making sawdust. Cleaned my CW and re-lubed everything. It is carving pretty right now. (knock on wood)

Once you get over the first big cliff with blender (understanding the user interface functions) it changes completely how you work with the software. Instead of the mechanics you can start focusing on the artist side of creating models.

Hope you pick it up again. It has been a blast to learn so far.

oscarl48
02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
For the new Blender 3d users, something I learned in the last year was there are module add-ons that expand functionality to the base software. The modules sometimes axpand a function while other facilitate and simplify them. There are some modules I could not live with out. There are very good ones for purchase but there are literally hundreds of free modules for inclusion. The can simplify your modeling and really speed up your project development. Search for Blender 3d with your preferred browser and several site repositories will come up.

oscarl48
03-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Edit: uploaded pattern to sports and recreation thread in pattern sharing section

In the last two days I have had two aha moments with blender as I am trying to learn how to use sculpt features better. My unstructured learning of going to different feature to different feature has not helped. But I just learned two new features for me which made me feel a little bit dumb for not knowing them earlier.

Sculpting can be incredibly computer processer intensive if you are actually sculpting all of the different vertices in real time. My old machine would crash around the 1.2-1.5 million vertices. I went and bought another computer with much better computer graphics chip but it could only hang at the 2 million vertices and below. Those are really dense meshes and a lot of computations.

Blender has a modifier called multiresolution. When applied it allows the system to approximate how the model will look without actually applying the subdivision. It allows you to sculpt without fear of the system crashing (as easily) and speeds up the process, at least for me.

The second feature I learned was the f key in sculpting mode. It allows you to change the size of your brush on the fly. Again increasing modeling speed for me.

Pretty basic features that should have been in my tool box from the beginning but just figured them out after two years.

Wonder twins powers activate! In the form of...

oscarl48
03-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Okay. Finally did a voiced over video. Sorry its not a tutorial. Its a demonstration video on how to use three different techniques within blender to create carvewright patterns.

This was more for my learning on how to do these type of videos and ensure I had the right software tools.

Its obvious I have to relearn how to speak again. I used to do a lot of public speaking in the early part of my career but its obviously a skill set that I have lost.

I believe the video may have a little bit of value but it is embarrassingly bad. I'll leave it up for a little bit before I delete it.

https://youtu.be/SoXtzqSFprU

One thing I didn't highlight very much is that all the images and even the stl can be post processed to optimize the pattern. The 2d images can be cleaned up in Photoshop, Corel, or other graphics package and the stl can be tweaked in blender or other 3d software package.

DianMayfield
03-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Oscar, the effort is greatly appreciated. Even something you may not think has value really helps us blender newbies out. I couldn't get my volume high enough to hear it tho. I suppose I will wait for the "polished" version :)

oscarl48
03-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Thank you very much for the heads up. Yup, I am officially not very good at making these things. I went back and redid the video. I had a rough script so info will be similar. A little rough in spots but the sound volume should be audible now. When I was setting up my mike software I did not realize if I didn't check a box the system defaulted to 50% volume. So a case of user not knowing his tools.

I hope you stick with blender and get past the initial cliff. I am amazed at what a free software package can do. I have just scratched the surface after two years of playing with it but I am finally at a point that I can focus on the art and not the mechanics (though I am still learning the mechanics).

normrichards
03-15-2016, 09:44 PM
You removed the video too fast I wanted to see it.

oscarl48
03-15-2016, 10:09 PM
I replaced the video with an updated one. This one has noise you can hear (my voice). They pretty much have the same info with different sound bytes.

Here is the updated site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXtzqSFprU

I did forget to mention in the second video that the default stl perspective in blender is the z axis looking down. So you need to orient your model in that perspective when you export the object.

dbemus
03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I think you did a great job! Narrative is well done. I found it very informative. Thanks! Looking forward to the next one.
dbemus

oscarl48
03-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks and thanks to whoever gave me a thumbs up on my video. I know the video was really amateurish but it was fun to make. I may post some tutorials tomorrow on how to make some basic patterns. I was thinking gears or bullets.

Scooby
03-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Suggestion - I am trying to teach myself Blender (crash course). I don't know if others had the same problem I had but I cannot see your cursor. It would help if I can see that and if you have screencast keys that would also help. You did a good job and the narrative was helpful.

oscarl48
03-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Scooby, thanks for the feedback. I did struggle on what level to do the presentation. I was aiming for an intermediate blender user but a new CW designer stl importer user. Having said that I have no clue how to make the curser visible with my video capture software but I can turn on the screencast key in blender in the future. I do have a request to show how I port gears from blender into CW so I will make a quick tutorial this weekend. I have to do a quick run into Houston today so won't be home until late Sat or early Sun.

bergerud
03-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Have you tried the Blender bas-relief add-on? It is yet another way to convert 3d objects in Blender into height maps for Designer.

oscarl48
03-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Dan, I have. Unfortunately it does not work in the newest blender versions. They keep tweaking the code.

For those not familiar with it, its a blender add on for purchase. I believe its something like 32.00. So really inexpensive.

It does further adjustment to the normalization modifier so the results are a little smoother. Doing the gradient without it is still pretty good in my opinion in most cases though.

bergerud
03-18-2016, 07:08 PM
I am running 2.72b. It works fine in this version. The add on was actually by donation. Now I think it has become open source.

Here is a comparison I made between the Blender bas relief Vs simple z scaling. In the example, one knee was far forward. This screws up the simple scaling as, by the time the knee is lowered, the rest of the height map is over flattened. The Blender bas relief, on the other hand, flattened to the same height and retained much more detail.

oscarl48
03-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Dan, thank you. I'll have to relook at that version again. I have that bas relief version somewhere and I did donate to the creator but I just could not figure out how to install it. This was right when I was starting this little blender journey a few years ago and really didn't have a clue (still not a whole lot better).

A guy in Russia took that original add-on and repackaged so it was easier to install and charged a fee for it. This version is no longer useable in the newer blender. I keep a 2.6 version so I can use it if I need to though.

oscarl48
03-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting the gear making video. Had to visit family in Houston this weekend and just got back last night. Sorry to you Houstoners but I hate going to Houston. Driving in the 3rd largest city in the states just sucks. Especially since I don't know it real well.

Here is a super quick video on how to make gear patterns using blender 3d. Literally can be done in less than a minute if you have all the parameters set.

I did screw up the voice over a little. In selecting the inner loop I said use the A button when I meant use the ALT button to select similar edges in the model.

I didn't talk to how to calculate contact ratios with different sized gears since that takes a little bit of math that I typically don't use. I eye ball it and then clean it up later with a lot of sanding. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXqCmfNCUs

CarverJerry
03-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks Carl, Wow you're were right, is really easy using Blender 3D. I'm using the 1.187 version of CW designer. Do I have to purchase the STL importer add on to make this work? I've got a few add ons with my designer, mostly like centerline text, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor for the probe. I think each one of these were $100 at the time.
Again thanks for taking the time to make this video on making gears in Blender 3D.

CarverJerry
03-22-2016, 03:10 PM
What version of Blender are you using. Reason I ask is I don't have the gears listed in the mesh menu. I have version 2.77

dbemus
03-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Your video is very helpful! Nicely done and greatly appreciated.

dbemus

oscarl48
03-22-2016, 05:25 PM
dbemus, good. Hope its of use.

Jerry, you have to enable it.

Go to

: File

: User Preferences

: input in the search "extra" without the quotes. This will bring up two options. check the box for add mesh: extra objects

: select save user setting at the bottom of the user preferences window so it always opens with the extra options

: You now have gears and a few other meshes at your disposal

Let me know if you have any issues

oscarl48
03-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks Carl, Wow you're were right, is really easy using Blender 3D. I'm using the 1.187 version of CW designer. Do I have to purchase the STL importer add on to make this work? I've got a few add ons with my designer, mostly like centerline text, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor for the probe. I think each one of these were $100 at the time.
Again thanks for taking the time to make this video on making gears in Blender 3D.

You do not have to have the stl importer addon but it makes life a lot easier. You can export it into CW designer as an image but you really have to set up your scene in blender really carefully to ensure the model is perfectly flat. You don't have the same control on the size or angle shapes but for a generic gear it is completely doable to export as an image. Here is a picture of a gear I just made from an blender image rendering. I added the circular groove using designer software just for coolness points.

CarverJerry
03-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Worked perfect, thank you, thank you, thank you.... would have never figured that one out...at least not now. Time to go play...and make some gears....:)

oscarl48
03-22-2016, 08:40 PM
All this talk about gears is inspiring me again. I am not quite up to designing clock yet but I may try my hand at a kinetic sculpture this weekend. Ordered some high torque low rpm motors to power it.

Did some quick concept designs. May use some of it or I may not. Here is one idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8vnKXSfno

Enclosed is the gear pattern for your carving pleasure. Again as always, ensure the settings are correct before you carve it/cut it out.

loretta_byerly
03-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Oscar, thanks so much for sharing your videos on Blender 3d! It is very inspirational - I know everything has a learning curve, but you've done an awesome job of making it look so easy (I'm sure it isn't... but I definitely would like to try it out sometime!)
Loretta

oscarl48
03-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Loretta, I hope they are of some use. I won't lie. The learning curve on blender is a very tall cliff, but once you get over the first hurdle of using the user interface and how the basic modifiers work an entire world opens up. It is astounding to me what it can do and its functionality. With the CW stl import add-on, it offers almost seamless integration to my 3d models. Though using the grey gradient depth maps allows you to get functionality without the add-on.

Good luck whenever you pick up blender and let me know if you hit any stumbling blocks I can help with.

CarverJerry
03-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Being a totally new beginner in Blender 3D I have found that watching youtube videos for beginners really helps. Also making a print out of the keyboard shortcuts to have on hand is very helpful. I did finally make a gear with the center extruded to the center. Practice is going to be my new thing to do. Thanks again, now I'm going to make the grand kids some gear toys...

oscarl48
03-25-2016, 10:58 PM
:D

Youtube has been my wonderful teacher for the last 2 years. You hit it right on the nail. Practice, practice, practice.

loretta_byerly
03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Sounds great, thanks Oscar!!

oscarl48
03-26-2016, 04:56 PM
A niftly little technique for making bullet patterns for the CW. This is as close as magic as you can get in my opinion. One second you have nothing and two button pushes later you have a 3d bullet model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctM0K6RZsY&feature=youtu.be

oscarl48
03-26-2016, 10:55 PM
I added a few more bits and pieces to the 45 ACP bullet (primer and caliber name on the end of the bullet).

You can duplicate the bullets in blender and change the perspective of the bullets so when you export to stl you will have a full scene to start with. I took a wonderful model by cephei on Blenderswap website and created a quick pattern from it to create this scene.

A great resource for models is the blenderswap website. Majority (not all but most) of the artists are trying to get there name out there so they are only requesting credit for their model and it is free to use in all endeavors, commercial and otherwise.

oscarl48
03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Cut my first two nuclear pattern gears for the kinetic sculpture. They seem to mesh real well. Just a whole lot more to go. :(

I need to follow my own advice. I always say to double check your cutting settings and with me going back and forth between models and patterns I left the default tab heights on the first gear. One of the inside cutouts broke lose. I was lucky the bit didn't snap. It was brand new. First cut today. Thankfully all was good and the carving finished with no other issue.

I still have to sand them flat. I think I went over board. I re-sawed the maple board down the middle and then glued the blocks with the grain 90 degrees to each other. They are only 4 inches across but .75 inches thick so I don't believe they should warp too much if I leave the board alone.

p.s. uploaded the gear in case anyone wanted to play with the pattern.

oscarl48
04-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Sometime within the next week I'll make a quick video tutorial on how to make basic spoon patterns and this totally non-functional decoration spoon that my wife wanted. I may carve it by then as well.

This pattern took 10 minutes to make but I cheated by including a model I had previously made (kokopelli).

oscarl48
04-12-2016, 08:25 PM
The spoon tutorial video is live and it is pretty badly narrated but I do have key screen capture on. These have been great learning exercises for me on video creation and editing. At some point I will learn how to talk and move the mouse at the same time.

The pattern itself is nothing special but the model building technique shows how easy it is to make one of these. Took about 5 minutes to make a spoon model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC_87yxPQg

I'll throw the spoon pattern in the pattern sharing section.

jpaluck
04-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Oscarl148

Great!! Video

oscarl48
04-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures of all the spoon models. Once you have the technique down they should only take about 5 minutes to make. :D

oscarl48
04-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Really quick concept designs using a custom chain I made. I don't think the second looped chain handle will work. I may twist the chain around itself and see how that looks.

Blenderites. Create your chain and then set a Bezier curve to follow the curve you want. Apply the curve modifier to the chain using the Bezier curve as its path. Super easy and super fast.

robboz4
04-28-2016, 08:11 PM
I've used Blender for several years, but not applied it to the Carvewright yet. Thanks for the video and the incentive to try it. A quick note on 3D modelling in Blender. There is an add-on called 3D Print Toolbox. It is aimed at people using Blender to make 3D models for 3D printers, but it might help if you are making a complicated model that you want to carve. The STL Importer usually highlights issues with the model when you are slicing it, but this tool makes sure the 3D model is "watertight". For example if you load the Suzanne object you can see that the eyes are not connected to the body. There is a tutorial that shows you how to fix this by editing the mesh points, but if you run the 3D Tool box, it can fix it for you. No need to get too deep into Blender! It is powerful and can be frustrating at times. But it is a powerful tool for free.

Thanks once again for the video!

CompuCarve
Updated to rubber traction feed;
New Chuck System.
dc Insert

iMAC 3.2Ghz Intel Core 3
8G DDR
1G HDD Plus 5Tb NAS storage

NEW: Project Designer 3.0!!!
Project designer 1.187
Centerline
STL Import
Scanning Probe

robboz4.no-ip.org/Robboz-_Designs/Wood_Carvings.html
(Online PDT time only)

oscarl48
04-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Thank you. I have looked at that add-on but it looked more geared to 3d printing. I'll give it another look. I have been focused on using standard .75" lumber for the patterns so it hasn't really been an issue. I use the designer editor software to fix any small holes in the mesh after porting because its way faster than remodeling (usually takes about 30 sec to 1 min). There is the attention to detail in getting the perfect mesh for a 3d model and then my way of building a 3d model mesh that can look like total crap for exporting to an STL but will still make a great pattern. :D

Quick comment: I LOVE BLENDER! lol

It is super easy to make patterns for the CW after learning the UI. The CW STL importer does a wonderful job at importing the 3d models I make. I attempt to build my 3d models at .5" and build them as 2.5d for exporting to CW. So I treat the models for the CW very differently than other 3d models I plan to use for other purposes. Showing two of my models. One specifically built for CW and another I used for CW but originally had built for a picture rendering.

I am at the point where I am learning animation but I really have to start learning node usage. The incredible power of the software looks like its trending that way.

I can't emphasize enough that my way of doing patterns and 3d models is only my way. There are probably hundreds of other ways and they are all probably better. Even within Blender there are many ways to get to an end result.

Robbo, time to start making some wonder CW models using Blender. :)

robboz4
05-01-2016, 07:51 PM
I agree Blender is really good and powerful. At least the UI has kind of stabilized now. In the early days every time a new version came out, it was time to relearn. I stopped buying Blender books, because they are out of date as soon as you read it. Instead I rely on the gurus who post "how to.." videos. I have made one animation of a 3D printer. I used it as a teaching aid in my "Introduction to 3D printer class." I'll post the link below. I've also taken a 3D model from Thingiverse and tried to carve it, the Octopus. I posted the results on the forum. I got some great advise on how to make the carve successful, but haven't had time to try again. It's been about 4 years!!! No idea where time goes. Oh I know leaning Blender... LOL.

Animation video: https://youtu.be/xuEENIHbbrA

Cheers for now

oscarl48
05-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Dave, sweet animation. If your class doesn't understand 3d printers after that...well they should not be in your class. :)

I've had only okay results with building multiple stl cut patterns. They never seem to line up perfectly. The dragon clawed feet on my steampunk cabinet were a 4 stl layered pattern (if I remember right).

I did see your octopus project. I really liked it and since I am in a steampunk phase it got me thinking into creating one for myself. Not an stl but an over the top octopus scene/art piece.

oscarl48
05-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Its been a little bit so here is another tutorial video on how to make fancy skeleton key patterns.

I used the Bool Tool add-on for Blender 3d. If you don't have it, it is a nifty little tool. You can still do all the same functions but you have to use the bool modifier and a lot more key strokes.

I used three separate techniques for the 3d model. 1. Bezier curves converted to mesh. 2. Vert extrusions wrapped around an axis. 3. Boolean difference brush to cut into a mesh.

The model was complete free styling so not perfect. I wasn't too worried about the final mesh so it is a little ugly. There are some tears in the mesh in the x and y axis but since using the z axis perspective wasn't too concerned. If using a different perspective you will have repair the mesh.

As always you can delete the non-observed side in Blender 3d or do it in the CW Designer software when you port it in. In this case I used the Designer software.

I did not voice over since I am pretty bad at it but tried to slow down and show the different steps I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKUqOGF8mw

Hope you enjoy it and learn a little bit from it.

I'll upload the pattern in the pattern sharing section under objects but here is a picture of the pattern as a teaser.

oscarl48
06-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Just a quick note that I hope all the blender users are still plugging away learning the software. I am in the middle of moving and have pile of boxes everywhere. My CW is behind tons of stuff so will probably be a few weeks before I can make any sawdust. I did get a new Delta table saw to add to the pile. My old table saw was a little long in the tooth and a little worse for wear. I am a klutz and kept dropping my slide so that it no longer is automatically square. Had to measure every time I moved it. Pain in the behind. So now I have two hybrid table saws. I thought I would have tons of room in a two car garage. lol. Not even close. But even though I am still unpacking and trying to figure out where to put everything I have to be on the computer creating models and patterns. It's not quite an addiction (yet). John's graphite project inspired me and I'm starting a lion head bust. I am in the early stages but here is what I have so far.

I'll be adding it to an architectural element which may go into the pattern depot at some point.

jpaluck
06-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Nice start Oscarl,

Looking at your screen shot looks tools between blender and Max are close enough. I assume you have a reference image in there somewhere. Thing to keep in mind your model does not have to be one mesh and can be made up in several pieces. I join all my pieces in Zbrush when sculpting but there several ways/programs to join which I am sure you know. Other thing, you don't always have to make quads...when I first started I tried to keep all quads and became a mind game. yep all quads make the best model but for 2.5d cnc stuff not a must...triangles and few n-gons don't hurt

oscarl48
06-21-2016, 03:00 PM
John, great tips. I've learned most of them the hard way already. :)

I don't worry too much about the occasional triangle in my quads if it gets me the geometry I am looking for. Haven't played a whole lot yet with n-gons.

For blender users: quads =4 sides; triangles=3; n-gon=more than 4 sides. Blender can use them all but when rendering n-gons they can produce weird effects and when porting to stl can create weird angles/points. But sometimes they also work fine. So a little experimenting is good when exporting or rendering for a pattern.

I also don't worry too much about joining different objects unless I am sculpting together. It is super easy to join objects together in blender.

For blender users, select the objects you want to join and then hit Ctrl-J (or join button). The different objects are now one object for editing. To separate objects go to edit mode and select the object you want to separate from the larger object by select it using L key and then press P and separate by selection.

For my lion bust effort...I am calling it a failure. I'll give myself a C- grade. I could not find a good reference image that had front and side references so tried to do it with only one image. My animal anatomy knowledge is not strong enough to fill in the holes of my modeling. I am still trying to figure out a good way to create hair for carving as well. The blender software has a wonderful native hair particle system that works great for rendering but not so much for stl exporting. Back to the drawing board or more probable another project.

-Oscar

farmer
06-21-2016, 04:40 PM
In Post #55 in this thread you have a horse and rider how did you give it depth?

oscarl48
06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
I modeled it as a curved surface (2.5d) from the beginning and not a flat surface. They are 5 different objects. The horse, rider, saddle, mane, tail. For depth I like to keep the models at around .5 inches. 1 blender unit = 1 inch when ported as an STL so easy reference. Keep the geometry as low as possible to start and then add additional geometry for more detail if needed.

Alan Malmstrom
06-21-2016, 06:58 PM
I've done stuff like that in blender. Where you use the sculpting tools to bump up separate objects. It works pretty good while constraining the scupting to just the z axis.

oscarl48
06-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Alan, exactly. You are constrained to the z-axis. For everyone else, this means you are modeling to exactly what you want carved so you are limited on being able to orient the 3d object to create different views of a pattern. What you see and build is what you will get as a pattern.

Figured out a technique for carving hair using the blender particle hair system.

Create your particle system.

Reduce number of strands to something manageable like 200.

Set children to something not crazy.

Convert the hair particle to curves.

Add a curve circle.

Select the hair curves and with the curve modifier screen set your taper and bevel using the curved circle. Change the size of the circle to something you like.

Go to edit mode and change direction of the hair curves to set the taper at the ends instead of at the root.

Finally change to hair curves to mesh. Easy carveable hair. Much happier with the end result. This took literally about 1 minute to do. I think with a little patience and some stylish combing you can create some good looking hair. Model and pattern still look terrible but the hair portion looks pretty good in my opinion (especially compared to my first attempt).

jpaluck
06-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Oscarl,

Nice direction on the hair...I usually just sculpt..zbrush and max both have particle systems for rendering but I never looked into converting...nice tip

oscarl48
06-22-2016, 05:55 PM
I am glad it helped. I'd been trying to figure this out for about 6 months. Totally frustrated for a long time on how to do this.

Alan Malmstrom
06-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Sculpting hair as a texture on a surface works pretty good for carving.

oscarl48
06-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Alan, very nice modeling. I have tried that on a few of my patterns to sculpt hair but mostly I am not very good at it yet. Much easier and way faster to have the software do it for me if I can. Just another tool in the toolbox.

Alan Malmstrom
06-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Hair as a texture will carve but if you sand it down it doesn't turn out so good. Hair should be thick. The hair you have on the lion pattern is pretty thick.

It takes longer to carve hair, but it can make a pattern look more interesting especially on screen.

I've been trying to do patterns without so much texture. Like this lion that has smooth curved surfaces.

oscarl48
07-03-2016, 08:05 AM
I've been searching for that sweet spot where the hair has texture and depth but doesn't overwhelm the carving. I started doing smooth surfaces for hair when I started creating 3d models and that's great for a specific look but I've been trying to get a more realistic look to my patterns.

Talking about different techniques...change in topic. I just learned how to makes long ribbons that are super easy to make. (Yes its super obvious but I am slow at times)

Create a curve with several twists and turns.

Add a plane. Elongate one direction, shrink in the perpendicular direction, (create the long ribbon) and add 50 loop cuts and then subdivide (1 or 2 times depending on how sharp are the twists and turns to smooth it out) the plane. Apply curve modifier to the plane using the curve. Walla. Instant ribbon.

You can go into edit mode and tweak the mesh to get the specific look you need.

The enclosed pattern literally took 3 minutes to create the 3d model. Super easy super fast. To tweak it until it actually is exactly what you want can take a bit of time.

oscarl48
07-03-2016, 08:01 PM
I encourage all blender users to dabble in the sculpting features of the program. There is amazing potential in it. Blender may not be as user friendly or as optimized for sculpting as commercial packages but it is still very capable. As an example the first picture is of my poor attempt at modeling a rearing horse. Took me about 4 hours to get that result. It is the base of my Pegasus in the depot. I was just playing around today practicing sculpting and the second picture is the result. Took about 30 minutes. After two years I am just now learning this feature. Wish I would have started learning it earlier to compliment the modeling I had been doing. So just throwing it out there.

I am still learning and have a really long ways to go. But glad you guys are joining me on this little trip. Would love to see some of your efforts. If you see some of my early efforts you are probably already way of head of me at that stage as pattern builders.

SteveNelson46
07-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Nice horse Oscar! Except he's not anatomically correct. LOL!

oscarl48
07-03-2016, 10:33 PM
ssshhhh. You are going to hurt his feelings. lol

oscarl48
07-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Totally jealous of the fireplace mantel from the conference pictures. Totally loved it. I really liked the family crest as the center piece. I knew I had a family crest so decided to create my version of it. Sculpted a new heraldic lion even though a very good one comes with the basic patterns. I wanted every piece to be my creation.

I should be able to test carve it next weekend. My pile of projects is getting bigger and bigger.

This one will be going onto a house address sign. May try painting again.

Gary Koval
07-09-2016, 05:14 AM
Oscar,
That's beautiful, plenty of detail, very very nice!
Gary

oscarl48
07-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Gary, thank you. Can't wait to carve and see if it actually works.

SharonB
07-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Great pattern Oscar. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Geomoo1
07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
WOW! Oscar. I did a crest a couple of years ago for a family reunion and it was no where near as good as yours. Beautiful crest. Great Job! Sure wish I had enough smarts and patience to learn Blender... maybe some day...

oscarl48
07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
George, thank you and definitely not smarts but there was a lot of patience or more over perseverance. I did a test carve today and I need to tweak a few elements. The banner is way too high and the baroque dragon is too low. I originally tweaked in CW designer but I have more control in blender so will go back and redo those portions. Designer is usually the way to go because its simple and fast.

The flow is usually Corel Paint (or other graphics program), Blender, and finally CW designer for clean up. I usually apply a smooth and/or blur to round over the really sharp edges I leave using blender.

I'm pretty pleased with the lion as well.

oscarl48
07-15-2016, 05:15 PM
I had a request to show how I sometimes go about doing 2.5d patterns using blender.

The main difference is the 2.5d model is not meant to be 3d from the very start. You are aiming for a specific image and perspective that will not be able to be rotated in 3d space for other views or at least not normally.

Did a free hand model drawing with the grease pencil as a reference and then built a 4 layer model that I could port into CW. Sorry my screen capture software does not capture the cursor so can be a little difficult to follow completely but should have all the key points on there.

As can be seen in the video there are 4 different pieces at different levels/layers that create depth in the pattern. Each is separate but since the perspective is hiding this fact it all works out.

The pattern is not meant to be anything good other than showing the completed pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SolyrlwuDvk&feature=youtu.be

oscarl48
08-02-2016, 07:27 PM
I hope every blender user is being inspired by Alan Malmstrom's latest patterns (I was). Sculpt painting is incredibly versatile and the process is also really easy. I say the process only because creating patterns like Alan's are not easy since they are all about his artistic skill.

But it is doable!

Open a plane. Go to edit mode. Subdivide 8 to 10 times (depends on what your computer can handle). Go to sculpt mode. Start sculpting. Blender now has metacap materials that really helps see what you are doing.

I have about an hour into the bull rider sculpt. Good patterns take time (hours to days). Take your time and slowly build up your detail.

oscarl48
08-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Not super clean but I only spent about 2 hours on it. Good enough for a practice piece. Recommend height of 500 and small draft for this one.

pattern of the bull rider enclosed.

dbemus
08-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Impressive work Oscarl48!

oscarl48
08-03-2016, 05:02 PM
:) pure luck.

normrichards
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
As usual, really nice.

oscarl48
08-10-2016, 08:20 PM
About 10 hours of 3d modeling and I think 11 separate models. I still have some tweaking to do on the 3d model and I'm not sure if I will throw into the pattern depot or keep for my personal library. What you will notice is there is only about 80% original models. Once you build a model and its in your library you can reuse with a new model or composition.

Use the append button.

Go to your library where your bend files are located and open the bend file you want. The bend file is actually a file container with all the piece parts that create the 3d model.

Select the Object folder.

In that folder you will have the geometry saved plus your lighting and camera. Select all the geometry only. You can select the lights and camera but you will have to delete them from your scene when opened.

By selecting the geometry and hitting the append button it will open that geometry into your new scene.

You now have the old saved model available to use in a new composition.

Nerded out on the model. Its hard to see because of the resolution but there are some steampunk gears as part of the model.

oscarl48
08-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Showing off another pattern finished with blender. Another 10 hours straight of modeling.

This one drove me nuts. In the end the mesh was messed up because I did really sloppy techniques with switching normals and ngons and tris all over the place because I was too lazy to retopologize. Designer refused to port it. But I had the bas relief node on an older blender version that saved the day. It is not perfect since I ported it with an image. An stl would have been a lot cleaner if I could have managed it but I just could not get it to port and I am unsure what is causing the failure. The stl is running around 80 megs so that should not be the issue so it has to be the mesh.

Hopefully it can give a small amount of inspiration to get into the blender software and start cranking out some masterpiece patterns. :)

normrichards
08-20-2016, 06:38 PM
As usual, real nice oscar

oscarl48
08-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Norm, thanks. :)

Completely screwed the pattern up though. I have to keep relearning modeling techniques. I realized near the end of the model build that the different levels of the model were all over the place and it was so complex with switch backs there was no fixing it unless I deleted half of it. (10 hours was enough!) Thank goodness for the bas relief node add-on I had. It did a really good crisp port of the pattern.

The cool part is once you have the model you can keep playing with it. I have really been trying to learn the other side of 3d modeling and creating art with it. Applied a crystal material to the model and then rendered with different colored lights.

oscarl48
09-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Just finished this one for my personal library. Building a custom island cabinet for my kitchen and I'll be carving this pattern on the doors.

About a 2 hour modeling exercise.

Big difference between this one and the previous one is that I only had to model 2 elements and for both only half. Mirrored the element and then duplicated and rotated to create the overall model. I then appended previously built model to really speed up the build. Super happy with it.

oscarl48
09-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Mirroring and rotating tutorial.

For new blender users created a short video on how I created the flower center. You can literally build a flower in about a 1 to 2 minutes.

The video highlights how mirroring cuts the modeling in half. The elements are duplicated (Shift-D) and rotated (r) at a specific angle (90 degrees and a 45 degree and then back to 90 degrees). The video didn't capture the number pad numbers but I think its self evident where I used 90 degrees and the one 45 degree rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-5s2H1UR24

oscarl48
09-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Wanted to show off my newest pattern for my personal library. Inspired by neo-classic design but not true to any period design. The center flower rosette is a new model that is going into my library.

For blender users, organize your pattern library by isolating individual elements for importing into future designs. I find I have to go back and do that. I thought I could figure it out but as my library is growing its a complete organizational mess and I am having a hard time finding the exact pattern I want when I want it. Eventually I find it but that is after looking at dozens of different models.

Not sure where I'll be carving this for just yet.

zan29
09-10-2016, 01:03 PM
I tried Blender in the past but it was way to complicated and time consuming for me. When I heard about MOI3D by Ed on the forum, I fell in love with it and for me it was
a lot easier than Blender. I always start modeling with that software.

Bravo Oscar, you really mastered that software.

Here's a quick one I did with MOI3D.

oscarl48
09-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Suzanne,

You do beautiful work with MOI. That is a very elegant flower rosette.

I am really enjoying learning Blender. It is a bear to learn and I have only mastered a very few basics. If I was on a 1000 foot path to learn the software I am at step 1or 2. It keeps getting better and better as well.

Oscar

oscarl48
09-11-2016, 11:49 AM
I have so far been unable to get the new bas relief add-on to work for me since it has to run in blendercam which is a separate program than blender 3d. It is based on blender 3d but is running a separate rendering engine instead of the native and cycles engines.

For CNC pattern creation you really do want to be using blendercam but so far I haven't played enough to figure it out. It has algorithms for optimizing depth maps and also has capability to optimizing 3d printing models and can produce g-code. Having said that I have no clue how to use it.

So been playing around in blender 3d on trying to get passable depth maps to import into designer.

There are several techniques that can be used. They all work but they take different rendering setups.

In the node editor you can use the following node setup (see picture). Its a two step process. Save the resulting image to exr format. Reopen the image, apply as a texture to a plane, subdivide to a high poly plane, apply displacement modifier and then smooth out and tweak until happy.

If you do not plan to expand you artist skills to include creating 3d model art, animation or sculpting, learn blendercam instead of blender 3d. Both are free and both have a huge learning curve. :)

P.S. I changed the direction of the cup for the pattern vs the picture. It kept looking funny to me until I figured out what was wrong. I am a rightee and the cup handle was on the left. Completely wrong! lol

bergerud
09-11-2016, 12:13 PM
I do not think you need to run BlenderCam. I have the bas-relief working in Blender. I remember it saying you need blenderCam but you can get it to work in just Blender. (Do not ask me how I did it. I cannot remember!)

oscarl48
09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Dan, too funny. I think I got it to work once but I immediately broke it. I have been trying to figure it out for 6 months without luck. Thanks for letting me know its at least possible and that it works. I'll have to try again. That algorithm does magic on the depth maps. All the other techniques are okay but don't really compare.

SteveNelson46
09-11-2016, 01:22 PM
(Do not ask me how I did it. I cannot remember!)

Dan,

It's the second thing to go!

oscarl48
09-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Steve,

I am not going to ask what's first since it probably applies to me too. :(

oscarl48
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
My newest addition to my library. Probably some of the ugliest 3d topology modeling I've done so far but the outcome hides it well. You want to have clean topology and this is a complete and total mess but it works. :D

I wanted to add an additional line of geometry and it actually crisscrossed itself three times.

About 8 hours of modeling.

oscarl48
11-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Blender 2.78a has been released and is a major update with the number of available add-ons that have been added. There is again a nice level learning curve for some of the new features. I haven't even started playing with it but it looks pretty impressive. The sculpting features while not anywhere zbrush level keep getting better and better.

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 09:25 PM
A quick sculpting exercise. My version of a Frankenstein monster bust. I lost a lot of detail exporting as STL to designer due to the height of the model. I may try a bas-relief image process and see the difference. The pattern of the bust is 4x3in in the test image.

oscarl48
03-02-2017, 06:58 PM
My wife has signed up for her first craft show as a vendor and has asked for a few items from me to add to her stock. I am giving her all of my prototype carving but decided to make a handful of spoons for her (if I can get my dust collector up and running this weekend).

My first attempt was rejected. She did not like it so sharing it with you'all. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

I am also only uploading the patterns. This will give folks some flexibility since I have not carved it and don't know how they will carve.

****For the blender users, I have not seen any cool spoon design pictures. The models take like 5-10 minutes to make. The aesthetic design of course can take hours to finalize to make something pretty.

oscarl48
03-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Going for a simple design. Wife okayed it so will be carving hopefully a few tomorrow.

bergerud
03-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Nice. I want to see how that turns out.

SharonB
03-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Oscar, I agree with your wife (women have to stick together) this last spoon is a more pleasing spoon than the first one. Should be a good seller for her.

oscarl48
03-04-2017, 11:22 AM
A friend tried to console me once on my art. He said, "you know artists are only recognized for their genius after they are dead. People going to really like your art when you are dead!" lol

I am only crying a little bit inside.

Worked on my dust collector this morning. Completely clogged with shavings. Cleaned it out and reattached the hoses and started once and then failed to start again. Dead as a door nail.

I kicked it, hit it with a hammer, yelled and cursed at it, everything I know to repair electrical equipment and nothing worked. It stayed dead. I heard if your shoot them with a high powered rifle they sometimes start working again but I didn't believe that one.

I ran to harbor freight and bought a replacement plus tons of stuff I don't need or already have three of.

I just started the test carve for the spoon. About an hour on normal. We'll see how it turns out.

- O

oscarl48
03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
The pattern worked out fine. The two sided carving also came out as usual. About a 1/16th - 1/8 difference between the two sides. Also because they were not lined up it did not pierce so had to go to the band saw. Not terrible but a lot of hand work to clean up. I finished the rough cleaning with files and tomorrow I'll clean up with sandpaper, stain and laquor. I'll post the final pictures tomorrow but this is what I got today.

At some point I'll have to figure out the process/procedures to get both sides to line up better.

Alan Malmstrom
03-05-2017, 12:39 AM
If you could make a jig to put a punch mark on both sides of the board in the center then jogging to those positions as jog to center. That would be the best bet for getting both sides lined up. Along with using a well squared board.

To make the jig you could put a couple of nails into long boards with the nails barely protruding, and then bolt the boards together with a board size in between that you want to space them out with, making sure to bolt them together while the nails are lined up using another squared board with lines drawn on it.

oscarl48
03-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Alan, thanks. If I continue making two sided carvings I am going to have to figure it out. I haven't had much use for jigs up to this point since I mainly do one offs. Not sure if I want to do production work.

After some work with files and sandpaper I finished two spoons. Not super great but for a small town craft show may be okay. If not they will make nice gifts.

Alan Malmstrom
03-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Well I've found that marking the center on both sides and then jogging to those marks to start the carve is the best way to center the two sided carve. Just measuring and marking with a pencil is better than when the machine measures the board.

henry1
03-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Alan, thanks. If I continue making two sided carvings I am going to have to figure it out. I haven't had much use for jigs up to this point since I mainly do one offs. Not sure if I want to do production work.

After some work with files and sandpaper I finished two spoons. Not super great but for a small town craft show may be okay. If not they will make nice gifts.
oscar148 is it possible to get those spoon as a ptn or they are in the store if so what name you go under

oscarl48
03-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Alan, again thanks. At some point I have to make time to learn how to do some of that stuff. I have so many projects on going I am not dedicating enough time to master the machine the way I should. Are you still playing with blender? I am astounded at what it can do every time I use it. I think after almost three years I am an intermediate beginner on a few aspects of it. Still haven't played much with animation.

oscarl48
03-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Henry, here you go. Again for anyone carving them please use your good judgement on the setup. I still have work to do on that obviously.

Since I had the model decided to slap some material on it and make a render.

For the blender users, I used the blender internal render engine and procedural materials. Cycles is awesome but BI is still pretty cool.

henry1
03-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Thank you oscar appreciated

normrichards
03-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Thats really cool, a matching fork would also be cool, hint hint. LOL

henry1
03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Thats really cool, a matching fork would also be cool, hint hint. LOL
hint hint I second that, mine came out great fork would be nice

oscarl48
03-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Henry, thank you for sharing. They look great. I am glad you were able to carve them. Yours came out better than mine. lol

We'll see about forks in the future.

oscarl48
03-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Okay. I was way over thinking the project. I just loaded the spoon and cut slots in it. Instant fork. Took about 30 secs. Way longer to convert it into an actual pattern. It was right at 100 megs so designer kept crashing. Had to go back and reduce the size of the model but finally got it to work.

henry1
03-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Okay. I was way over thinking the project. I just loaded the spoon and cut slots in it. Instant fork. Took about 30 secs. Way longer to convert it into an actual pattern. It was right at 100 megs so designer kept crashing. Had to go back and reduce the size of the model but finally got it to work.
I see you got my email thx again

oscarl48
03-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Henry, I did. Sorry I didn't reply back right away. Too many projects too little time.

henry1
03-12-2017, 10:32 AM
I hear ya not enough time in a day

henry1
03-13-2017, 10:12 AM
well here the fork to match

oscarl48
03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Henry, those came out really cool. Awesome job adding names to the hearts. I would never have thought of that. Perfect gifts. Nicely done.

I was a little worried on the strength of the fork teeth but they look like they are beefy enough.

- O

oscarl48
03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
My sister visited from Houston and fell in love with the wall clock I had built so she went home with it. My mom saw it and also fell in love with it. So I now have to build another clock. Though the wall clock was simple to build it had a lot of design flaws. I could go back and refine the design and fix them but one thing in building in solid hardwood is that it is heavy. So for my mom I am going to build a simple mantel clock. Another feature in blender is you can design in a 3d environment and see how the proportions look. This is what I have so far but I am pleased with the visual proportions of the design (I added materials to the model to see how it would look using black walnut lumber).

I still have to figure out the carvings I want on it. It will be one of a kind and I will be using patterns from my personal library. Not sure yet if I want to do super fancy or clean lines with a few elegant carvings.

Suggestions?

oscarl48
03-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Here is the first pattern. These will be on either side of the clock enclosure on the back.

The main elements (rose, leaf, butterfly) I had previously built so it was just putting them together.

I've shared the leaf and butterfly on the forum and there are better roses that have also been shared plus the vines and ribbons are easy to build in designer.

P.S. Thought I'd share the model rendered image.

oscarl48
03-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Just tried cucumber flavored vodka. Don't know if I like it or not. Have to try another sample to get a better idea. ;)

The pattern is of the bottle pouring into shot glass only. The rest was because I could. Vodka is good but not entirely sure about cucumber flavored vodka. Off to sample some more.

oscarl48
03-26-2017, 12:06 PM
A relatively new feature in blender is software generated trees. Use the following Add>curve>sapling tree gen. You will then get several pages of variable values you can change to tweak the tree. It is a bit challenging since there are a lot of variables on multiple pages. There are some good tutorials on how to use the feature on youtube.

oscarl48
03-29-2017, 09:40 PM
I've been out of cheap lumber for a few weeks but I finally have my truck back from the shop. I will try to get to home depot this weekend and pick up some poplar to do some of my test carves.

Finally have an idea for my mom's mantel clock. I have this angel pattern I will be using for the top. Sharon, I don't think she would appreciate my skull and chaos symbol that I used for mine. ;)

I did screw up the front hand but I am going to wait and see how bad it looks before tweaking the pattern. Overall pretty happy with it.

Model sculpted in blender. I wish I was better at it but small incremental improvements.

SharonB
03-30-2017, 12:12 AM
Now you are talking my language, Oscar. That is a great pattern. I think it will be a fitting pattern for your mom's clock.

normrichards
03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
looks to be another great pattern from you!

oscarl48
03-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Sharon, Norm, thanks. Hopefully it carves well. Have the clock design down so hopefully I can post finished pictures this weekend. Should be a one day build.

oscarl48
04-29-2017, 06:43 PM
a speed modeling exercise. Model took about 3 minutes to model.

Heart was a box with three loop cuts and then subdivision surface applied. Single top wing wing modeled using a single box and four loop cuts and then subdivision surface applied. Duplicated and moved down, rotated and shrunk x3. Set origin to center of grid and then applied mirror modifier for opposite side. Inserted circle, extruded vertices twice inward and then merged at center. Selected outer circle loop and extruded out and down (for circle bevel). Selected on band on the circle, used deselect checkered command and then extruded face down. Complete.

oscarl48
06-06-2017, 05:27 PM
I never did find my microphone from when I moved but have since purchased a new one. Is there any basic model or technique you want me to make a short video on?

Are there any blender users left?

- O

oscarl48
06-06-2017, 09:25 PM
I've shared this technique before but super easy and fast. This was a stucci texture. Its a 30 sec piece of art.

Add a plane
Go to edit mode: Subdivide 9 times
Go to object mode
Add texture (Stucci in this case)
Apply displace modifier
set strength of modifier (usually around .05 to .3)
done

oscarl48
06-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Does this look like old broken plaster? Trying a new procedural setup and I am torn whether this looks right. Probably under 30 seconds to create the texture.

noise texture > math node minimum > math node multiply > material output displacement

oscarl48
07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Quick Tip: Use mesh deform modifier in blender to get similar results as designer edit envelope.

Except it will be in 3d and depending on how much detail you assign your deform object you will have a lot more control over the deform.

place an object (cube,sphere,... etc.) that encloses your the 3d object you want deformed. Select the object you are deforming and use the mesh deform modifier. select the object you will use to deform the 3d model. Hit bind and you are ready to start deforming your 3d object.

Mugsowner
07-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Does this look like old broken plaster? Trying a new procedural setup and I am torn whether this looks right. Probably under 30 seconds to create the texture.

noise texture > math node minimum > math node multiply > material output displacement

Not sure if it is plaster or not, thinking that would be determined by the rest of the carve design. What it looks like to me is deterioration on a wall or brick, block of some sort, but yes it could also be plaster.

oscarl48
07-06-2017, 07:53 AM
lol. Thanks. Every time I play with the software I learn something new. Hopefully these little tips spark a little interest in picking up the software.

It is a beast and it has been getting even more complicated as they've added new capabilities to the program. In the next major release there is an interesting development. They are rebuilding the UI in different versions depending on what the artist is using Blender for. For basic modeling, what you need for pattern building, it will be a streamlined interface without all the doodads for everything else. Not sure when it will be released but it may be a little bit though. We are at 2.78 and the next major release is 2.8. So we still have 2.79 to go through.

oscarl48
07-12-2017, 10:30 PM
If you have been playing with blender you know the files can get fairly large quick. For example, the model I used to create the following pattern had over 2 million verts and over the 100 meg limit to import the stl into designer.

A way to work around the limit is to create the model as different parts. This model was split into 4 different objects. The 2 wings, body, and tail. They can be imported separately by using export STL and use selection only button and selecting each piece individually. They can then be merged in designer.

This model was created using only 4 different feathers that I copied, rotated, and resized to get the varying plumage but because the feathers were fairly detailed the file size got large quick. In the end I created several hundred feathers to create this model.

mtylerfl
07-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Hi Oscar,

Don't forget you can use MeshLab to reduce file size without visual quality loss (I posted all the details and how-to steps awhile back). That way, you can model freely and without concern for file size. MeshLab to the rescue.

oscarl48
07-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Michael, thanks. This is for the blender beginners.

Blender has the same function now. Its the decimate modifier. It allows to reduce vertices by removing subdivision surface modifiers or simplify geometry by removing vertices.

The problem is you do lose detail. Sometimes its very little and it doesn't matter but sometimes it can visibly modify the model depending on the complexity of the geometry. Both ways are tools in the tools chest. Sometimes one method works and sometimes a different method is needed.

Since I attempt to model in quads I get tris and n-gons when I decimate the model which 90% of the time is still good enough for patterns but every once in a while I need a different technique.

mtylerfl
07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
When you have a chance, perform a comparison between Blender and MeshLab (be sure to use the settings I outlined for MeshLab). I'll bet you won't see any loss or modification at all using MeshLab when you reduce the mesh/file size.

cestout
07-13-2017, 04:33 PM
MT, any chance you can repeat or point to our instructions. I read them I think when you posted them, but forgot them when I went to use MeshLab. I will copy and save them this time.
Oscar, I would like to be a Blender user. Have started many times but always get busy and forget everything by the time I get back to it. I have a For Dummise book on it but it is years old. Amy lasting help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Clint

oscarl48
07-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Michael, too be honest I haven't played with meshlab in a few years. I downloaded the newest version and it looks impressive. Ran a quick decimation on a model and again very impressed. I am going to have to create a model that will push both software but were I can see any changes with reduction in geometry. I'll follow up when I complete the test.

Clint, blender.org just announced with the next major release (2.9) they will be releasing pared down versions of blender for niche processes/operations. So the modeling version will only have the tools needed for modeling so a lot of the additional functionality, while still there, will be hidden. This will really simplify learning and using the software. Unfortunately, it will a few more months or longer for 2.9 to come out. The next release is 2.89 which will have some good updates but will still have all the bells and whistles that can be really confusing. It is a monster to learn but once you get past that first cliff the next major learning points aren't quite so bad. I say that but I am having a heck of time trying to learn materials and application of said materials. A 3d object can have up to 5 material layers applied to it to provide realism when rendered. In pattern development I don't use materials at all.

mtylerfl
07-14-2017, 09:26 AM
MT, any chance you can repeat or point to our instructions. I read them I think when you posted them, but forgot them when I went to use MeshLab. I will copy and save them this time...
Thanks
Clint

Hi Clint,

Here is the link for you:

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29023-STL-import-limit&p=261172#post261172

oscarl48
07-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Michael, I am super impressed by the new meshlab. I think it will be a part of my modeling pipeline. Its decimation feature is more optimized than blenders.

There are changes to the geometry when any decimation is applied. I did a crazy test. Created a tessellation model with 24M vertices. I then decimated it to 3.9M vertices using meshlab's quadratic edge collapse.

You can see the pronounced changes in the geometry and fine detail features you lose during decimation (simplification).

For pattern builders using blender these changes using decimation are mostly subtle with a dense mesh model but they are very pronounced in a less dense mesh. You need to balance the geometry with the outcome you need for the pattern.

mtylerfl
07-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah. That test is a bit crazy alright!

Try doing something more normal. Like a scroll, family crest, dog, horse, or anything but that. :D

oscarl48
07-14-2017, 02:17 PM
lol. You are right. As long as you have a medium density on the model geometry you will never see the difference carving with a 1/16 in bit.

oscarl48
07-14-2017, 11:07 PM
I've been running some more experiments with meshlab decimation filters. They are impressive but going back to the discussion. It is a balancing act on keeping the right amount of geometry for the results you are needing.

Here is an example. Instead of using a ridiculously large object I used a simple model I just built and applied the decimation filter. You can really see the difference in the two models. The bottom model is the original and the top model has had the meshlab decimation filter applied. First the quads were converted to tris which can give weird geometry when exported as STL and some detail was lost. The threads and bottom handle are now a little funky because of the tris.

This was just an example. I would never actually use decimation on this model since it was fairly small to begin with but just to illustrate what you are doing to a model when you reduce geometry with these functions.

Blender does exactly the same thing to a model as part of its decimate modifier. Just have to keep an eye on artifacts that may appear after the filter/modifier. I believe meshlabs does do a better job at this though.

The simplified model would still make an okay pattern even with reduction in geometry though different from the original.

cestout
07-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Oscar, do I need to learn Greek to do this stuff?
MT, thanks - I copied it to Word, saved it and printed it (now in a plastic sleeve).
Clnt

oscarl48
07-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Clint, sorry I somehow missed the question. I follow two folks on YouTube who have pretty good basic user tutorials. Blenderguru and tutor4u. If you look at their introductory tutorials they will walk you through the basics. Their later tutorials will take you all the way to intermediate use. Focus on the modeling tutorials. The materials and animation tutorials are awesome but complete useless for making patterns.

- O

Scooby
07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Oscar - I just had an idea. How about "Time Waits for No Man" with an hour glass? That could turn out to be a cool project.
Mike - that could be a project of the month.

mtylerfl
07-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Oscar - I just had an idea. How about "Time Waits for No Man" with an hour glass? That could turn out to be a cool project.
Mike - that could be a project of the month.

That would be a fun project. Maybe a kitchen egg timer with a real hour glass.

oscarl48
07-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Scooby, I get weird pictures in my head when I try to figure out imagery for this. Are you talking a real hour glass design?

Scooby
07-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Exactly. How about "A watched pot never boils"

Scooby
07-19-2017, 07:52 AM
A little too weird. Mike is more along my thinking.

oscarl48
07-19-2017, 12:04 PM
lol. Good. Michael I am glad you got it. I am still a little lost. ;)

For a project like this i think a lathe is probably better suited for a traditional hourglass.

- O

dbemus
07-19-2017, 02:39 PM
I would like to see the kitchen timer hour glass as a POM. Michael get busy!!! I am sure your wife would agree! Looking for it before the next conference.

cestout
07-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Oscar, I was just saying the terminology you use to explain how you do what you do is Greek to me. For instance, I have to learn what a decimation filter is. I will look up Blenderguru and tutor4u
Clint

oscarl48
07-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Clint. I understand now. And it is Greek. :)

Scooby
07-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Oscar - "traditional" is a naughty word. I thought we all think outside the box.

oscarl48
07-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Scooby. That's the problem. I've forgotten what the box looks like.

The image that came to me was a bunch of human figures falling through the hour glass since time was not waiting for them. A real hour glass, even a fun kitchen design, never even came to mind. :roll:

Mugsowner
07-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Not sure if it can be done, but from what I can see viewing videos. Blender it is a awesome program that can do some wild stuff. when I tho8ught a bit on the subject of time waits for no man, I get an image of a man watching or trying to keep up with time (type text) pulling away leaving him behind. Time waits for no man thinking could be incorporated into a trail/road that time is traveling on.

oscarl48
07-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Mugs, that is some cool imagery.

It can definitely be done and fairly easy with the right techniques. I might play with the idea more if I can find some time. Too many projects and too little time (plus back to work).

Scooby
07-21-2017, 10:45 AM
I have an idea of what this would look like but not sure how to make the patterns. I also have an idea how to make the timer with the CW and it doesn't involve a lathe. I wish I knew more about making patterns. Give me a couple of weeks and maybe I can get my idea on the computer and you can take the idea and tweek it.

cestout
07-21-2017, 05:49 PM
I am waiting for a Blender rendition of the hour glass with the people falling thru.
Clint

mtylerfl
07-21-2017, 06:17 PM
I am waiting for a Blender rendition of the hour glass with the people falling thru.
Clint

Agreed. I like that idea the best. Cool and cruel at the same time :cool:

oscarl48
07-21-2017, 08:25 PM
And by popular demand a quick rendering of an hour glass with people falling through. :)

mtylerfl
07-21-2017, 08:51 PM
That's hilarious Oscar! Really cool!

oscarl48
07-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Blender foundation has released a series of 25 instruction videos aimed at new Blender users. The Blender foundation are the guys developing Blender 3d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLa1F2ddGya_8V90Kd5eC5PeBjySbXWGK1&v=kes2qmijy7w

Focus on the modeling tutorials. The rest is pretty awesome but not used for pattern building.

- O

cestout
07-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks Oscar for both - I saved the address. Now I just have to do it.
Clint

oscarl48
11-04-2017, 05:07 PM
myshop1044 had a really cool experiment on how to make a candle holder. In blender it is super easy to make the circular patterns like that. You just have to define the outline of the model and then apply the screw modifier. Tada...you have a model you can export as an stl.

I used 64 steps to define the circle and then applied a subsurf modifier but you can just use a larger step number to refine the geometry and skip the subsurf. Like Perry said, many ways to skin the cat.

oscarl48
11-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Another one for my library. So far I've spent 2 days working on this model (about 8 hours). I still need to build the accessories for it. Still deciding whether I want to go red dot or scope for it.

oscarl48
11-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Its been a busy last few months with trying to remodel portions of the house and building some larger pieces like the tv stand and work bench. Finishing up a garden swing now. As you would have it, I am one 2x4 short for some cross braces. Should be complete hopefully next weekend. I have been really focused on learning the artistic side of 3d rendering and how materials and textures work on blender and other software. I bought zbrush and I haven't opened it since it means another large expenditure in time to learn the interface. I think the learning curve will be shorter than blender but its taken me over three years of playing with blender to get to where I am at (an advanced beginner).

Hopefully I can find some time to start learning that software as well. But wanted to show a small update of the few patterns I have built in the last few months. Whenever I have a chance to test carve some of them I will put into the pattern shop. A few will end up in your Christmas stockings.

The peacock was a commission piece for a fireplace mantel.

Showing off a few examples of them as rendered pieces.

jpaluck
11-28-2017, 11:50 AM
oscarl48

Looking good!!!

You will love Zbrush. Yeah the interface and the way things get done is a whole new learning curve but since you have 3d experience it will go much faster. Check out Gnomon Workshop - https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ or Pluralsight - https://www.pluralsight.com/ both have excellent training and month to month memberships. They will bring up to speed super quick. Any polygon modelor and zbrush and you can create anything. Lol only limits are our abilities.

btw - I am assuming you have a tablet and pen. If not it's pretty much a must for zbrush.

Good Luck

Alan Malmstrom
11-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Zbrush is pretty good. You can set it up to use gimp as the z app link software. There's several ways to bring raster images in to make height. That's what I like to do.

oscarl48
11-28-2017, 08:21 PM
John, thanks I'll definitely look at the sites. I do have a tablet and pen and I agree its a must for sculpting. Blender has okay sculpting capability but zbrush is the standard so couldn't pass on it for too long, but I am dreading the learning curve as it feels like I just climbed passed another learning plateau in blender. I'll just have to carve sometime somewhere. Who needs sleep anyway.

Alan, I will also look into doing that. Blender does the same and I am curious to see which one does it better in different scenarios.

- O

oscarl48
12-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Newest pattern for my library.

Would love to see what other folks are building for themselves.

Added rendered image of the model.

jpaluck
12-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Nice Work!!!
Getting ready to build a fly tying bench 65x24

oscarl48
12-11-2017, 04:17 PM
John,

That is going to be amazing. Hope you post pictures of the finished bench.

The model looks amazing as well. Beautiful work.

- O

oscarl48
01-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Another one for my library. I just imported the model so not optimized as a cnc pattern. It would probably take me hours of tweaking and test carving a few times to get it right so simply going into my library for some future date to play with. But I thought it was cool model and pattern. Made it for a 3d modeling contest.

dbemus
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Awesome!!!

mikemi
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
That is very cool Oscar.

Mike

oscarl48
01-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys. That was a fun model to build.

oscarl48
01-13-2018, 10:38 PM
I thought I had a great concept for a pattern for the pattern depot but the concept and the execution did not match. My skills did not match the image in my head. But I did see how useful the draw functions in blender can be. I rough drafted the idea in blender before starting to model. Having a drawing pad is a definite plus. After the rough model was done I added detail by sculpting.

Though not happy with the cnc pattern (still going into the library), I rendered the model using a stained glass material and I think it came out pretty good. At least in my opinion.

Press "D" while using a drawing pen on your pad.

dbemus
01-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Wow!! I like the CNC pattern with the circular background. Really looks sharp!

oscarl48
01-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Thank you. I am a torn in that the pattern I made is not terrible but it's not what I was aiming for.

I also like the circular background. It always takes me a bit to time to figure out how to do that stuff for design layering in designer since its not my main pattern modeling software. I always have to keep playing with merge and clip carving settings before I accidentally stumble on what I need. I tend to forget what I did between pattern building.

So for anyone wanting to use the background, it's done in designer and its all about grouping. I nested the circles in each other. You can build as many circles as will fit in the depth of the wood as you want.

You want to keep the central pattern outside the groups so you can add draft if you want.

- O

dbemus
01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the informative example. I will have to give it a try!

lynnfrwd
01-15-2018, 03:58 PM
It always takes me a bit to time to figure out how to do that stuff for design layering in designer since its not my main pattern modeling software. I always have to keep playing with merge and clip carving settings before I accidentally stumble on what I need. I tend to forget what I did between pattern building.

You're not the only one. I still struggle with this.

Connie

oscarl48
01-16-2018, 11:31 PM
Connie, yes and it does drive me crazy at times. :mad: I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to do something. And I know I've asked the question before.

I finally found the thread and it was you that helped me out on it along with the rest of the gang. How to texture a font. This time I am saving a screen shot so I don't re-forget. I've built a fairly large library of textures.

oscarl48
02-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Another benefit of using a 3d program is you can visualize the piece you are building to get a sense of proportion. Building a spice rack for the kitchen and this allowed me to show the wife and get an approval to proceed.

oscarl48
02-17-2018, 03:02 PM
And here is the actual project completed this morning. I've ordered the glass spice jars but they won't be in until mid-week. So for now just putting the different spice containers I have. Decorated the spice rack with a jalapeno pattern I whipped up. My favorite spice is "hot". Ghost pepper and Carolina Reaper are good.

oscarl48
03-23-2018, 08:49 PM
A member on the blenderartist website shared his node setup on how he creates depth maps. It is a lot better than my method so going back and redoing a few of my old renders with it. Here is the M60 tank at a different angle. I purposefully took the long perspective to see how it would deal with a deep model.

For anyone learning blender this website is a good resource.

For new Carvewright members, you can import grey scale depth maps into designer to create new patterns. Its a great way to make patterns if you don't have all the advanced add-ons. There is a steep learning curve to make good depth maps but it is doable with a little bit of patience and perseverance.

gwhiz
03-24-2018, 08:08 AM
So many tools, so little time!:p I really want to learn to make better 3D patterns but haven't been able to dedicate the time to it. I downloaded Fusion 360 a couple of days ago--but again haven't made the time to spend with it other than viewing a couple of the tutorials. It looks like a pretty steep learning curve before I can make something usable. Someday perhaps!

oscarl48
03-24-2018, 09:52 AM
It can be a pretty steep learning curve. But you also bring up another amazing software package. Fusion 360 is another package for pattern building. In my opinion, it is a better choice between blender or fusion 360 for 3d modeling making for physical implementation (3d printing or cnc). Blender is geared for art/entertainment. Fusion 360 has CAD/CAM pedigree that allows more precise model creation. I have not used fusion 360 so can't state which one is harder to learn but my spidey sense tells me blender is probably a lot harder because of the non-standard user interface and additional bells and whistles.

Maybe some of the fusion 360 users can share their thoughts. Fusion 360 is one of the industry standards.

tackytim
03-24-2018, 06:35 PM
I use Fusion 360 for my 3d needs. I am not proficient by any means. I typically design cookie cutters to make with my 3d printer. There is a great youtube channel with around 100 tutorial videos on different tools and designing methods. Search for Lars Christensen. I beli eve he puts out several videos per week. Just my .02 on Fusion.

Tim

oscarl48
03-25-2018, 01:26 AM
Tim, thanks for the info. So definitely an option for any folks that want to try it out. There is a free trial for the software and then some options to continue using for free if you fall under specific categories.

After 4 years of learning blender and finally feeling half way competent with it, I am sticking with it. She's not pretty but she's the one I brought to the dance.
(though I will open zbrush one of these days)

Alan Malmstrom
03-25-2018, 01:33 PM
A member on the blenderartist website shared his node setup on how he creates depth maps. It is a lot better than my method so going back and redoing a few of my old renders with it. Here is the M60 tank at a different angle. I purposefully took the long perspective to see how it would deal with a deep model.

For anyone learning blender this website is a good resource.

For new Carvewright members, you can import grey scale depth maps into designer to create new patterns. Its a great way to make patterns if you don't have all the advanced add-ons. There is a steep learning curve to make good depth maps but it is doable with a little bit of patience and perseverance.

Is there any info on this node setup?

oscarl48
03-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Alan,

You can PM your email I can send you his blend file with the node setup or you might be able to download it from the webpage where he shared it with me.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?406246-OLG-s-sketchbook/page5

The way he built it, its nested/grouped in 4 levels. Enclosing screen captures of the different groups. He is using the ambient occlusion along with a power math modifier to capture detail up front and blur the detail as you get further along the model. I tried using a logarithmic math modifier and seemed to capture more detail but the power modifier seemed to be smoother.

oscarl48
03-29-2018, 11:19 PM
Wanted to show off another model going into my personal pattern library. I own one of these and wanted to model it forever and a day but my skills were previously not up to the par with what I wanted but gave it a try anyway. I am pretty pleased with it. Not perfect but close enough but some future carve.

Its a M5E1 carbine if anyone was wondering.

DianMayfield
04-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Oscar, that is just blinking amazing :)

oscarl48
04-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Dian, thank you. It was a fun build though I am still not very fast. Took about 10 hours to build the model.

I hope you are still playing with the software. It is getting better and better.

I finally did change the interface so the left mouse button is the selector. Under [user preferences > input > select with] click on left button so the software works like every other software out there. It took a bit but I am retraining my muscle memory to click the left button instead of the right but I am getting there.

oscarl48
04-02-2018, 04:51 PM
I am still learning the new node setup but it works pretty good. Here is an old pattern I shared a few years ago but converted using the new setup.

oscarl48
05-07-2018, 11:22 PM
My wife and I are giving my dragon claw clock to my brother in law. He totally loved it. He is more into dragons than I am and that is saying a lot.

That means I can build another clock. WOOT! (a little D&D jargon for the old timer nerds out there, me included)

My wife wants something carved on the side columns and nothing is screaming at me on what it should be. Rock formation, dragon scales, gears and cogs,...not sure.

Any ideas?

I should be able to start on it this weekend. Also, finally started building more patterns for the depot store as well. Need to test carve them this weekend if I have time.

Scooby
05-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Google "Dragon Pillar" there are some cool ideas and challenges for you.

oscarl48
05-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Scooby, thank you. That is a super cool idea. Off to the design board to see what I can build.

oscarl48
05-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Still needs some tweaking but I am close.

Edit: Thought it would be fun to show a rendered image of the model.

Mugsowner
05-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Looks cool Oscar

oscarl48
05-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Mugsowner, thanks. Finished tweaking and ready to load up the card. I thought the fingers were a little high so lowered and angled them slightly different. Carving the columns in maple and the rest of the clock in Mahogany. Should be pretty. May try to start it tomorrow.

Included a quick color render for fun.

For the blender users: The dragon body is a single scale that I used 3 arrays to duplicate and then curved around a circle to get the curvature to simulate a cylindrical body. I then applied a second curvature to simulate the curvature around the column. The dragon head was sculpted. The horns were single simple cylinder with loop cuts and sized proportionally and then duplicated, angled and rotated 180 degree for opposing side. The claws hands are a single finger duplicated and resized similarly.

oscarl48
05-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Some progress. Got two of the patterns carved for the clock. The columns still need a bit of sanding. I screwed up the height (didn't plane the lumber to the pattern height and allowed the machine to carve to the measured height...which it didn't carve deep enough). So had to go to the band saw. Not a big deal but an extra step.

The dragon column looks sharp with the maple over the mahogany. Can't wait for the oil application to see what it really looks like. Its always magic. :)

oscarl48
05-18-2018, 06:28 PM
A fun use of the claws is an oval picture frame.

Blender users: What modifier allows you to make the basic frame in 30 secs or less?

Scooby
05-18-2018, 10:19 PM
I knew you would figure out something cool for a Dragon Pillar. If we put our heads together we could make some awesome stuff.

oscarl48
05-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Scooby, that was a great idea. :D

And the dragon pillar came out really cool. The picture doesn't do it justice.

I wish I could get motivated to start learning z-brush. It was built for stuff like this. My problem is, Blender just keeps getting better and better and I keep delving into different areas of it. I've started trying to learn animation now.

oscarl48
06-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Guys, if you haven't played with dynamic paint physics, you should. It is a lot of fun and it can create some really cool effects.

This took about 2 minutes to create so fairly easy.

In the physics modifier tab:
1. Assign brush to a mesh.
2. Assign canvas to a field (ensure to subdivide enough to ensure smooth surface).
3. Establish a timeline.
4. Hit run

The software creates a dynamic environment where the brush will deform the canvas based on shape of the brush over a specified time. Really cool to create complex interactions.

If you play with it post pictures of what you create. ;)

oscarl48
07-20-2018, 03:17 PM
A work in progress for some sculpting practice and building up my library. Making a horse skull. Ported the draft into designer to see what it would look like.

Eventually it will become a unicorn skull like in the picture. ;)

oscarl48
09-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Learned something new today: Radial Symmetry Sculpting.

It is crazy what it can allow you to make in no time at all. This took <30 secs to make (I am not exaggerating) after setting up the scene.

Under sculpting panel > symmetry lock > un-select all mirror x,y,z > set radial x and y to 0 and set Z to some number and start sculpting (in the example I used 64).

Ensure you have enough geometry to hold the shape properly.

Edit: Added a quick render with a copper material I am playing with.

oscarl48
10-01-2018, 01:08 PM
The discussion thread on snowflakes got me thinking on how to do it on blender. Again super easy and quick using mirror and also duplicate and rotate to get the same pattern around a circle. Under five minutes each from start to CW pattern.

Recommend shallow carves of .125 with some draft on the first snowflake due to the thin material.

mtylerfl
10-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Very Pretty, Oscar!

But...did you know that snowflakes normally have hexagonal symmetry? (Six points or sides) :-)

oscarl48
10-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Dang it Michael. There you go bursting my fantasy world where snowflakes can have as many points as I want. lol

Actually I didn't. :)

Back to the drawing board.

mtylerfl
10-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Dang it Michael. There you go bursting my fantasy world where snowflakes can have as many points as I want. lol

Actually I didn't. :)

Back to the drawing board.

Another way to look at it is, "anything goes" in a Virtual World!

oscarl48
10-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Okay. A more realistic snowflake I hope. ;)

Geometric shapes are super easy by creating one branch and then duplicating and rotating to the appropriate degree. To get a 6 figure object you need to copy and rotate by 60 degrees.

I then applied a solidify modifier to thicken it and subdivision modifier x1 to smooth it a little.

The second pattern is the other half of the model after cutting it in half. A lot of creative options to get different patterns.

And for fun a quick render of the model.

mtylerfl
10-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Very pretty, again! Nice work, Oscar.

oscarl48
10-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Michael, thanks again.

For the blender users:
It is a balancing act on how detailed and deep you can get and the 1/16 carving bit and the material you will be carving. With softer lumber like pine, poplar I would be concerned with tear out and would add draft knowing that may change the look of the pattern. It may be better to do a bold and thick pattern where you don't have to worry about tear out. You can also design the pattern to be carved shallow to reduce the amount of issues during carving.

If you are going to carve in hardwoods and especially in the higher Janka scale go to town. I have literally sliced myself with purple heart carved thin edges. As long as you have a sharp bit you should have no issues.

Just part of the design process.

I know the last few patterns were not very complex but you do not need a lot of geometry to get complex patterns.

The first picture shows the geometry that I made.

I then mirrored, duplicated and rotated at 60 degrees.

I then joined the pieces.

Duplicated and rotated at 30 degrees and then reduced the size.

Easy-peasy.

But with such thin areas I would be concerned with tear out on softer lumber.

As a bonus did another quick render of the model.

oscarl48
10-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Is there anyone still trying to learn blender for 3d modeling/pattern building? Its been a while since any one posted anything related to pattern building.

mtylerfl
10-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Hi Oscar,

I have many other modeling programs (including the CW modeling and Sculptor software) so I haven’t taken any time to learn/use Blender for many years now. However, I do hope others are able to take the time to learn it. It’s a wonderful program, plus you are a great resource if folks have questions about it!

oscarl48
10-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Michael, thank you for responding. You already do wonderful patterns using your software so I was asking some of the new folks that may be potentially learning 3d modeling using this free tool.

Blender is about to get a massive update. Blender 2.8 beta (major upgrade) should be coming out at the end of the month. They are completely changing the user interface and capabilities of the software. I will have to re-learn most of it again. They are removing one of the render engines and adding a new native one. There are several render engines that will be hosted on the software. Each engine has its own node set-up process. It can be a massive effort to become proficient with each individual engine. They are all very powerful.

oscarl48
10-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Too much?

This is my take on my Family Crest. My Family Crest does not have motto, crest, supporters,...you get the idea. All my crest signifies is that at some point someone with my family name had a castle (and probably a small one). So other than the lion and the castle, everything else is a decoration.

So any critiques on the design are welcome.

Plan is for some variations of this to go to the pattern depot.

oscarl48
11-17-2018, 05:19 PM
I lit a good cigar. Poured me a good vodka and water drink. Threw a few logs in the fire pit and have the CW carving along my coat of arms. It is absolutely gorgeous outside in East Texas. 68 degrees.

I should be able to stain and finish tomorrow. 20"x14" in oak at .25 depth. At normal it is saying a 2 hour carve.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. If it looks good, I'll have 4 more to carve for the family.

Scooby
11-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Are you watching the Iowa State game? We can't even watch it here. Where at in Texas?

oscarl48
11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
No sports unfortunately. Just watching some tv with the family. I'm in Waskom Texas. One mile from the Louisiana border.

Scooby
11-18-2018, 06:48 AM
I don't know that area. We lost the game so I guess it was OK I wasn't able to watch it. Had other things to do anyway like getting ready to make Xmas presents.

oscarl48
11-18-2018, 10:59 AM
I attended UT El Paso in the late eighties. If we won a game during a season we were doing well. Never picked up the college sports bug.

oscarl48
12-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Blender 2.8 beta is now out. They still have to do some bug cleaning but all the features it will have are now there.

My initial thoughts are that it is amazing. Not a lot of changes to the modeling portion which is the only part you need for model making but the other features for rendering and animation are incredible.

New real time render engine: EEVEE. It will allow super fast rendering for animations (comparatively).

mtylerfl
12-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Sounds great, Oscar! Thanks for the heads-up.

oscarl48
12-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Here is a Youtube video on blender 2.8b software.

3d Modeling for Complete Beginners - Blender 2.8 - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqYTgaFDxU

Even for old users, we will have to relearn pretty much the entire user interface. The changes are that dramatic.

oscarl48
12-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Working the design on a momento/keys box for my daughter and son-in-law. They are both Navy Corpsman but he is assigned with the Marines so want to have something special.

Did some digital sculpting for this pattern and still needs some tweaks but happy so far. It will be going into my personal library but wanted to show it off.

mtylerfl
12-15-2018, 09:15 AM
That’s really looking great, Oscar! Thanks for showing it to us (I’ll bet there are folks who would like to purchase that!)

oscarl48
12-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Michael, thanks. It carved really well. Unfortunately, I am unsure on the trademark/copyright on the original image: USMC Bulldog.

oscarl48
12-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Some speed modeling practice.

oscarl48
12-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Pattern takes less than 5 minutes to model.

Open a circle with 18 verts.

Select alternating verts in edit mode. Size smaller. Creates the star.

Select all and duplicate and expand out to create the star mesh.

Select all and extrude up to give it volume.

Select all and duplicate. Creates a second star.

Size smaller and it becomes second inner star. Done.

oscarl48
12-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Create a simple shape and then apply array modifier to repeat it across x and y for a super fast model and pattern.

oscarl48
12-29-2018, 05:10 PM
No reason other than I could. Did a search for primitive tools and it popped up. I was a little shocked since I was unaware it was a thing.

oscarl48
12-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Old wagon wheel. Made the model and cnc pattern first and then went back and used it to render a picture.

The texture was made from a picture of one of my trees and applying to wheel geometry using the displacement modifier.

lol. I just saw an error as I was posting the pictures. I need to rotate the spokes by 15 degrees so they don't fall right on the seams.

oscarl48
01-01-2019, 08:52 PM
I am cleaning out some of my library. Threw a bunch of patterns into the store for consideration and sharing these.

The raised cross will require some draft due to the thin points.

dbemus
01-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Very nice patterns!! The cross is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!!

oscarl48
01-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Good. Hopefully they are of use. :)

oscarl48
01-05-2019, 07:42 PM
For something a little different. Here is a small practice exercise on simple morphing of a base geometry.

Take the STL file and load it into blender.

It is low poly so you will have to apply a subdivision surface modifier. Apply at least 3 subdivision to have enough geometry (the high poly was too large to upload to the forum).

Now go into sculpt mode and use the grab brush. Now just move the geometry to create new facial expressions. Have fun.

For a more advanced exercise go into edit mode and change the eyes and tongue to a separate selection so they are not affected with the skull morph.

The picture is the low poly skull, the high poly skull, then two examples of me using the grab brush to move pieces of the skull to change the expressions.

For folks that don't want to do the exercise the patterns are enclosed.

Sliverfoot
01-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Nice job Oscar, I like!