PDA

View Full Version : 3D conversion to "Bump Map"

SLSettles
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know of a way to convert a 3D CAD file to a grayscale bump map? I would like to design my carve in TurboCAD Pro and bring it into Designer, but obviously to only import supported now is image.

I was thinking about mapping a black-to-white gradient to the side of the model, set the surface to glow (to eliminate shadows) and the render from the top which seems like it ought to give me an accurate displacement (or bump) map that CW can use. I was just wondering if anyone had already tried this, or if there is any software out there that does this trick already?

Jon Jantz
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I know of a way, but it is pretty expensive. Artcam Pro will convert a 3d object to a grayscale bump map... you could export your 3d object to a format Artcam loads, then export the bump map for Designer...

However, an 8000 dollar file converter is not for everyone. If you figure out another way to do it, please share it or email me... I've been working on that one for a while now...

Also interested in how your little process is working... might try the same thing in DesignCAD 3d.

Good luck.

BoardSilly
03-13-2007, 03:33 PM
AutoDWG and/or DWG2Image is a batch converter that converts DWG to TIFF(TIF), DWG to JPG, DWG to GIF, PNG, BMP without need of AutoCAD.

Jon Jantz
03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
BoardSilly, does it take a 3d file and convert it to a gray-scale depth map?

BoardSilly
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Don't know, I just did a fast search for converters. There is a free trial download available at http://www.autodwg.com/DWG2Image/DWG2Image.exe

I use a higher end package myself.

jwidmann
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I have been messin around with Lightwave3d,and with a little lighting magic
came up with this coffee mug. It needs a little work before I use it

BobHill
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
SL,

Since AutoCad doesn't do pictures as a rule, if you just want to save an image that can be used (although you need another program to do it justice if you wish rounded parts), you can open your CAD program with the image open, then ALT PrtScrn (Print Screen) and it'll make a raster image of your selected window that's open. Open your raster program and File, New and then Control V to place the copied screen onto that new background. Your raster program will save the image as a JPEG at least, and that can be Imported into Designer and into your Favorites Library. From there you can put it into your project. Not the best way, but it will work.

Bob

SLSettles
03-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Jwidmann, that's getting pretty close to what I'm looking to do. How did you acheive this with lighting? I used to have a 3D program on the Mac called Infini-D that would produce a "fog" effect" by fadiing from clear to a solid color at a set distance from the camera, so this effect would also produce a displacement map if the object were white and the solid color were black. That is, if the fog depth were set to the depth of the object to be carved. I guess I need to look around for a 3D renderer that does a fog effect. Perhaps I could get the same effect in TurboCAD with a light-falloff parameter... off to experiment.

jwidmann
03-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I simply used the light to place the darker areas where I wanted them.
I will try another light to lighten up the area around the base of the
handle.I may also try a gradient map on the handle itself.