PDA

View Full Version : Open with preview

Sliverfoot
09-15-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry to ask something that I know was covered before but I can't seem to find the answer when I searched the forum.
When I clicked on "open with preview" my machine is locking up as in "not responding" what am I supposed to do here? I thought it had something to do with the amount of file you have but I don't remember the fix. I hate to use task manager and kill the program if I'm not supposed to.

bergerud
09-15-2015, 08:49 PM
I am afraid the fix is to turn it back off. I could never get it to work without the lock ups. The program works in the background, going through your directories and creating previews. Any errors which occur during this process cause Designer to lock up. It has been said that if you suffer though the process until it makes all the previews, it will in the end work. I worked hard on this when it was first introduced to try and discover which files caused the problems. It seemed random to me at the time and I gave up. I now keep it off because I have lost my work too many times.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had success with the preview feature. It may work ok for people with only a few files.

Sliverfoot
09-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks Dan
I'll bail out of the program, the feature would be nice but not if I'm risking loosing something.

2A Finishing
09-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I am afraid the fix is to turn it back off. I could never get it to work without the lock ups. The program works in the background, going through your directories and creating previews. Any errors which occur during this process cause Designer to lock up. It has been said that if you suffer though the process until it makes all the previews, it will in the end work. I worked hard on this when it was first introduced to try and discover which files caused the problems. It seemed random to me at the time and I gave up. I now keep it off because I have lost my work too many times.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had success with the preview feature. It may work ok for people with only a few files.

It locked up with me using open with preview since day 1. At first I thought it was my computer, but it did it with the new one as well.
Probably should either be fixed or removed in the next update seeing as it is a non-functional "feature" :) I do so wish I was a software programmer sometimes. Then I'd be useful for more than just complaints and bug reporting that everyone's probably already heard a thousand times before :)

My workaround has simply been to name my files with detailed names telling me what's what.

SteveNelson46
09-19-2015, 11:31 PM

The only success I've had with it is to leave it turned off. It would have been nice if it worked. Maybe in the next update. Speaking of updates, I haven't seen one in almost a year.

DianMayfield
09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
200 bucks, 200 bucks, 200 bucks (used to be 5 bucks :)

SteveNelson46
09-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Whether they charge for it or not the length of time since the last one seems a bit odd. There was one in January but only introduced the 1/32" bit. The one before that was in October of last year.

2A Finishing
09-20-2015, 12:32 AM
I noticed that there's little activity here except from a few members and staff, and there seems to be no post for the pre-convention contest I've seen mentioned... those things among others worry me for several reasons.

fwharris
09-20-2015, 01:14 AM
I noticed that there's little activity here except from a few members and staff, and there seems to be no post for the pre-convention contest I've seen mentioned... those things among others worry me for several reasons.

Activity seems to go in cycles for the most part. Summer has come to an end carving time has probably taking a bit of a back seat for a while. There was not carving contest this year for the conference but did see a lot of pictures of carving displays that people brought down.

2A Finishing
09-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Activity seems to go in cycles for the most part. Summer has come to an end carving time has probably taking a bit of a back seat for a while. There was not carving contest this year for the conference but did see a lot of pictures of carving displays that people brought down.

Shoot, I'm in Florida (about 3hrs from Aubrey) - Carving season is just getting started for me (as soon as my replacement memory card gets here anyway). I hope my 2hp dust collector can keep up with all the sawdust I *hope and pray* to be making.

normrichards
09-20-2015, 01:36 AM

I dont know about the 5 bucks part, but I have only basic designer and can not afford the add ons because of the 200 bucks, 200 bucks, 200 bucks . I dont know how the ones who buy every add on that comes out can afford it.

aokweld101
09-20-2015, 06:27 AM
A1, you haven't got your card back yet? you have waited a long time, have they gave you a word on when it will be there?

lynnfrwd
09-20-2015, 09:59 AM
The order for his replacement card was placed and processed the day last week that we received it. I don't know how we could process it any faster than that.

DianMayfield
09-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I dont know about the 5 bucks part

There was some commercial, I want to say 20 years ago, where if you wanted something extra it was 5 bucks,5 bucks,5 bucks.

I suspect that LHR has gone from a update/fix model to an upgrade model. There are several "Bugs" not addressed, but you will have to wait and purchase the next version to see them resolved. It has worked too well for them over the past 18 months.

ktjwilliams
09-20-2015, 10:03 AM
You expect updates and fixes ? LHR has discovered that they can charge $200 -300 a pop for upgrades ... You'll see em Designer 4 for a price of course ... Inventibles looking better and better ...

Whether they charge for it or not the length of time since the last one seems a bit odd. There was one in January but only introduced the 1/32" bit. The one before that was in October of last year.

SteveNelson46
09-20-2015, 10:08 AM

I've also noticed a decline in participation on this forum from all experience levels. Especially with senior members. Very few of us left.

SteveNelson46
09-20-2015, 10:17 AM
If there is a version 4! Flame wars seem to be really easy to start here and I don't want to start one. Just concerned.

bergerud
09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
The activity of LHR and the activity of the forum must be mutually exclusive. I think LHR is happy with Designer 3 for the time being and is instead working on new hardware ideas. You know, some R&D.

lynnfrwd
09-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Participation increases with drama. I've seen it over the last 8.5 years. Mostly, quiet as issues are minimal and summer is always a quiet time. Don't hold your breath for a version 4 anytime soon.

DianMayfield
09-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I think the machine as a whole is designed better than it was, reducing "trouble" posts. The selling of other peoples works has reduced sharing. What you are left with is frustrations with functionality. LHR doesn't share upcoming changes or plans, so there is little excitement about the future, and the presumption that it will cost us when it does come about, based on recent changes.

I would love to think that there is R&D to make improvements due to user feedback or to enhance functions. But it's just thinkin' cause there are few whispers. We use $100k software at work, and they are constantly letting us know what is on the horizon, as unrealistic as those timelines usually are!

Because we have frustrations, issues, or a wish list doesn't make us drama queens :)

SteveNelson46
09-20-2015, 12:45 PM
I think the machine as a whole is designed better than it was, reducing "trouble" posts. The selling of other peoples works has reduced sharing. What you are left with is frustrations with functionality. LHR doesn't share upcoming changes or plans, so there is little excitement about the future, and the presumption that it will cost us when it does come about, based on recent changes.

I would love to think that there is R&D to make improvements due to user feedback or to enhance functions. But it's just thinkin' cause there are few whispers. We use $100k software at work, and they are constantly letting us know what is on the horizon, as unrealistic as those timelines usually are!

Because we have frustrations, issues, or a wish list doesn't make us drama queens :)

Diane,

I'm with you. Unfortunately, we can't express our true opinions here without being deemed as a trouble maker. It is my belief that this is part of the reason for declining participation. My only motivation for "speaking out" is to draw attention to areas that I feel need to be addressed. This forum was designed to be a marketing tool for LHR and is not a place for open discussion on all topics.

fwharris
09-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Okay folks we have taken this thread "open with preview" a bit off topic IMO.

2A Finishing
09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
A1, you haven't got your card back yet? you have waited a long time, have they gave you a word on when it will be there?

I wasn't even able to send it out until early this week or late last week.
Not sure when it will be here, but it's being replaced. (Thank you, LHR)

lynnfrwd
09-20-2015, 09:44 PM
There is no fixing open with preview. Technically, it's not broken though it would be nice if it didn't boot you out. Wish there was a process of Scan Program that basically had a countdown clock and wouldn't let you design until complete. It would have to start itself every time u made a first visit to a directory with undocumented preview files.

lynnfrwd
09-20-2015, 09:46 PM
I would guess open with preview works fine for newbies as they don't have a bunch of files to inventory, since just starting.

lynnfrwd
09-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Imagine inventorying everything in your house. If you start out with nothing in any of the rooms, inventorying would be easier than inventorying a house that you've already lived in for 10 years.

normrichards
09-20-2015, 11:15 PM
There is no fixing open with preview. Technically, it's not broken though it would be nice if it didn't boot you out. Wish there was a process of Scan Program that basically had a countdown clock and wouldn't let you design until complete. It would have to start itself every time u made a first visit to a directory with undocumented preview files.

I am sorry but it seems broken to me and I think many others as well. Perhaps a setting that lets designer scan and make the previews during a time when you are not using the program. People could let it run overnight or on days that they are not using it. Then there is no fear of being booted out. This obviously does not work in a convenient and user friendly way so that makes it broken.

And I agree I hardly ever chime in as I have seen others get in trouble for it. Thats why I only have 20 posts in a year, and I lurked for months before joining.

2A Finishing
09-21-2015, 12:33 AM

It doesn't work fine for me, even with less than 15 .MPC files in the directory.
Windows Explorer (widely regarded as one of the most poorly coded file system managers in existence) doesn't have a problem generating previews on the fly, even in directories with hundreds or thousands of images and/or videos. I'm with Norm, I firmly believe it's broken.

That said, I've also noticed that bug reports, upgrade suggestions, and certain other issues do tend to be looked down upon. I can understand it - Y'all are proud of your design and your product - I would be too, and there's a LOT to be proud of. I tend to feel a little bitten when people criticize something I've put my blood, sweat, and tears into for years or decades too.

One tip I can suggest (though I don't know how it should be coded myself as I'm not a programmer) is that similar to most other file system scan/preview codes, instead of re-scanning unchanged files when opening a folder, just scan for new or modified files. That reduces processor and memory overhead and increases reliability in other file system managers I've had experience with. Again, I don't have the first clue HOW they do it, but I know for a fact it can be done. Even other video, 3d modeling, and graphic editing programs have few or no problems with "open with preview" functionality, yet Designer does.

I'm truly not trying to argue with you, but there's obviously a problem there seeing as the feature doesn't function as intended (unless the bug being discussed is how it was purposefully designed, and I can't fathom why that would be the case).

Does the feature function properly on your personal system?

RMarkey
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
The preview checks for changes in files that have been previously previewed (before re-generating a preview). It also skips files that have crashed designer.

Part of the problem is we never took away old file format support, so everything from 1.000 to 3.102 can be loaded. This is because of legacy patterns and projects on the store.

Bugs/upgrades/etc are not looked down upon, however changes that would take months to implement with little benefit, or otherwise "break" a design, generally cannot be implemented.

DianMayfield
09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
I get that, there should be some return on invested time and effort. But, being silent or saying it's "not" a bug certainly doesn't help the repeated posting from different members with the same issue. A "bug" post, something along these lines would certainly be helpful in the long run:

Feature requests with a response would let us know things are being worked on as well!

fwharris
09-21-2015, 01:03 PM
This is the original "bug reporting thread" started by Jeff Burt http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?9914-The-Deisnger-Bug-Swatting-Thread

And Designer wish list http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?1722-CarveWright-Designer-wishlist

In response to some of the comments about wants/wishes and it sure would be nice to be able to do this, very early on it was these types of input that lead to many of the software improvements we have now. Not only with just the designer program but most if not all of the add on components. With the current "pro versions 3.xxx) and add on features designer has evolved to be very comparable to the big boy cnc software programs. The only big difference is that it is built for one machine. They do though have components built for other cnc enthusiasts.

Sliverfoot
09-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I really didn't intend on my inquiry to go in this direction. Kind of sorry I asked.
I am constantly amazed at the things that can be done with the Carvewright machine and software that can be added to it.
My system works fine without using the "view with preview", so that's what I'll do. It's not really mission critical.

fwharris
09-21-2015, 02:30 PM
I really didn't intend on my inquiry to go in this direction. Kind of sorry I asked.
I am constantly amazed at the things that can be done with the Carvewright machine and software that can be added to it.
My system works fine without using the "view with preview", so that's what I'll do. It's not really mission critical.

No need to feel sorry about asking why and never hesitate to ask any question. It is more"our" fault for taking your question above and beyond what was being asked.