PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Probe from Sears

Bill
03-13-2007, 05:31 AM
The 3-D Scanning Probe from Craftsman enables height mapping of existing surfaces and objects that can then be imported into the CarveWright software libraries for use on any project. For use with the CompuCarve woodworking machine.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921778000&cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&subcat=Jointer%2C+Planer%2C+%26+Shaper

Julie Coffey
03-13-2007, 05:49 AM
399.99? I only paid (or will 299.99) for mine. I think I'll wait. I mean geez lets see I can buy 1...2... a few bits with the difference. ::winks::

J

Kenm810
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Julie Thanks
That little info got me off my butt, and ordered the Scanning probe from CW.
Called today 9:50 am local time and got an answer on first ring,
added the probe and extra bits to an order I called in last month.
On and off the phone in 7 minutes.

Thanks again:)
Ken

Julie Coffey
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Hiya Ken, I ordered mine last week they said it could be a bit. I'm hoping its not a case of waiting for Sears to get theirs before CW makes them available to those of us lemmings who ordered directly through the company. AH the multi-layer joys of company growth.

Anyone ever remember the PBS series 'Growing a Business'? It was one of my favorites to watch. (yes I'm a dork) I'd gladly turn in on a series of CarveWright episodes. Product with allot of potential, eager but perhaps borderline educated (for 3d and CNC machines) customer base. Importation of the product from a foreign country to make it more financially accessible to the masses. And to top it all off- a contract with SEARS....get the popcorn.

That was my NO MEANS a 'diss;' on the company or the clientel who will, have or had purchased in the past. Just that I understand their pain.

J

Kenm810
03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I think - as The Bard would say if he was here ---oh the pain

Jon Jantz
03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Julie, very good analysis. I think it is a monumental undertaking and that if it flies Carvewright will be a well-known company in the next few years. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to help as many people as I can... I really like my machine, and would like to do my part in supporting it...

Although I do have a selfish motive... looking at the longterm, I would like them to be around in the next few years to support my machine, so if I can convince only a few people not to take their machines back, and fight the learning curve, that's just .0001% more chance Carvewright will be there in the future... just trying to do my part!

(((Wow.. that was lofty. Coming down off pedestal...)))

Julie Coffey
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Julie, very good analysis.

(((Wow.. that was lofty. Coming down off pedestal...)))

LOL well now you know what we Michiganders do in the winter time- get all philosophical <g>

Lofty? eh- prolly why we love ya so much! Thanks for all you do.

J

ausomm
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Yup it is one of the coolest gadgets I have & I have a shall we say poo poo load of stuff. (So my wife says) I am very impressed with the detail capability of this metal toothpick on plastic. I've scanned the same item in the 3 levels of detail, & must say the difference is astounding. I was able to see the detail on the detail.
I bought this thing a month ago, but have just now had the time to get to know it intimately. Making the sled was a sinch. I'm going to be making various sizes of them to accomoadate even duplicating my wife, oh yea two of them would be great, I'd get to do double the work in the same time having 2 bosses you know. So after making the sled I was thinking what am I going to use to stick my objects to it without using glue or snot, since that's what my 11 yr old suggested. We went to our local Hobby Lobby & there we were wondering what to use & cha ching we saw the modeling clay and the play doh we've only tried the modeling clay it is great since it doesn't dry & holds great & sticks to the sled. Easy clean up also anyway I think my 2 cents worth has bored you. questions? ask away.

Sarge
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
What's the malfunction SEARS is having? What are they doing "Jacking" people like that? $100 more for the same exact item, that's BS.

HandTurnedMaple
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Sounds like Capitalism to me. 30 minutes of research will reveal the LHR price, so they are sticking it to the lazy.

pkunk
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Sounds like Capitalism to me. 30 minutes of research will reveal the LHR price, so they are sticking it to the lazy.
Don't you mead the 'gotta have it now' crowd? Impulse buyer, can't wait for Carvewright?:p

HandTurnedMaple
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
The CompuCarve was as much a financial decision as a timing one. I saved $200 off the CarveWright price, plus no shipping for a total savings of $270-$300.

ausomm
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
I would assume that since Sears is having alot oif these machines returned & loosing tons on profit. Theair trying to make up on a smaller gagdet that probably shoudn't get returned as often, again my 2 cents.

Julie Coffey
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I would assume that since Sears is having alot oif these machines returned & loosing tons on profit. Theair trying to make up on a smaller gagdet that probably shoudn't get returned as often, again my 2 cents.

With all due respect,I don't know where your getting your numbers from but my store only had 2 early on returned both by the same person. The second came from the same shipment that mine was in and I've had no issues whatsoever.

My stores moved quite a few machines and to date only the one customer was dissatisfied. I'm not saying that there haven't been returns for any of a number or reasons across the board. But if these machines were 'such' a hunk of junk the orphans would not be as readily adopted as they have been? I doubt many will be party to dropping over 1k on something thats going to substitute for a art-deco boat anchor.

J

Jon Jantz
03-14-2007, 12:39 AM
One thing to keep in mind is anyone who sells electronic items is used to having a lot of them brought back. It's the price of doing business with an object that customers can screw up. I know this because I worked at a computer store for several years and people would buy new machines and promptly load a bunch of horrible things like Yahoo, Google and only God knows what else toolbars, Weatherbug, the anti-christ's brother-- Bonzai Buddy, and the anti-christ itself.... America Online.

Then they would bring it back to us and want their money back, "because this piece of crap runs slow, is locking up, and will not act right.." Since we had a 30-day money-back guarantee, we'd end up refunding them, or at least spend 3 hours cleaning their computer back off with some choice words about their program selection... 98% of the computers that were brought back as "broken" had Windows reloaded, sold as open box, and never heard from again by customers who didn't mess them up... a few had actual problems and needed new parts, etc.

So, even though some here have had cataclysmic problems and had to go back and exchange their machines, most returns are probably from people who didn't take the time to learn how to operate it, got frustrated and took it back. I'm sure Sears was expecting some of this when it decided to sell a complicated piece of machinery... and I'm sure they have some other items that have a pretty high rate of returns.

From talking to our Sears in Pensacola, I don't think they've had any brought back... they haven't had any 'orphaned' carvers yet...

(((This is all opinion, and you know what they say about opinions)))

xalite
03-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Sears also has tool holders 1/4 and 1/2 part#
926695 and 926694 same tool holder used on other routers.

Kenm810
03-14-2007, 07:02 AM
They have them in 3 packs for $9.99

SpiffyDog
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I've had my name on the Sears email list for over two months now for the quick rout adapters. They've been out of stock all that time. However, CW had them IN STOCK!

Kenm810
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
SpiffyDog,

I’ve had my name on that same email list,
a couple of week ago I stopped by one of the Sears store near us to pickup some T-50 staples.
Looked over my shoulder and there they were.
Now I’m waiting for my “CW bits to fill em up”.
Go figure
Ken

forqnc
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I've been to 2 Sears stores locally and neither has the quick change bits or Chuck. :(

Bill
03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Hello Jon,
You said...

From talking to our Sears in Pensacola, I don't think they've had any brought back... they haven't had any 'orphaned' carvers yet...

I asked here also and there has been none returned in my area (Milwaukee, WI)

HandTurnedMaple
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I've been to 2 Sears stores locally and neither has the quick change bits or Chuck. :(
I would advise against the Sears QC for the CC/CW. Its not the same as the CarveWright QC. And from what I've read around the internet its not as reliable (funny thing to say since at least 5 QC failures have been reported here in the last 2 weeks).

CallNeg151
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I would advise against the Sears QC for the CC/CW. Its not the same as the CarveWright QC. And from what I've read around the internet its not as reliable (funny thing to say since at least 5 QC failures have been reported here in the last 2 weeks).

According to The Bard (RIP), the QC chuck WAS NOT compatible (different threading, etc., will cause bad problems for your machine), however the bit adapters were the same. Based on that I got a set of the Sears bit adapters (in the 3-pack for 9.99), and have used them without problem. I recently bought a QC from Sears (to get the little wrench that comes with it, since none of my tools were skinny enough to fit in the space), and confirmed that the two do appear to be different enough to cause problems.

Jon Jantz
03-15-2007, 12:34 AM
I've been using the bit adapters from Sears for quite a while also with nary a problem... they look absolutely identical to the ones that come on the Carvewright bits.

I can understand that the quick chuck itself is probably not the same, but wonder if some of the info concerning the chuck and the bit adapters isn't getting intertwined....

HandTurnedMaple
03-15-2007, 01:06 AM
The adapters from Sears are fine. Its the Quick Change that won't work properly, and not that great overall from what I've read.