PDA

View Full Version : Another big Carve ...

ktjwilliams
09-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Just finished another pretty big carve ... Glad things lined up, I alwayz have to hold my breath when joining the different sections ...

xchief807
09-08-2015, 11:24 AM
When you do a big carve like this how do you design it on designer 3 do you design the whole sign and make it 2 carves and if so how? Or do you design each half one at a time. And how do you make sure they will line up.

Thanks Kevin

Digitalwoodshop
09-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Very Professional !!!

zan29
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM
That looks amazing! Very well done!

fwharris
09-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Great job Kevin!

Old Salt
09-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Looks very good thanks for posting
Gary

rcdages
09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Nicely done...........

ktjwilliams
09-08-2015, 02:51 PM
When you do a big carve like this how do you design it on designer 3 do you design the whole sign and make it 2 carves and if so how? Or do you design each half one at a time. And how do you make sure they will line up.

Thanks Kevin

It's fairly simple process when it's only 2 sections .. 1st I set the board length. 2nd Then I set the width ( for 2 section ) to half the total width. 3rd I then place elements that are gonna span the 2 boards in place and expand or type in the size of each element. I highlight each use snap to edge and place the vertical center dots on the top edge if doing the bottom or bottom edge when doing the top. I usually lock in the distance from the edge. Then I add the elements that are not going to span the 2 boards and save the board as ***bottom.mpc ... The board is still open on my screen, I delete the elements that did not span the 2 boards, and add the elements that don't span the 2 boards .. I DON'T DELETE the elements that span the 2 boards. I now highlight each one and pull it down and line up the center dots on the bottom edge of the board.. Remember I locked in the distance from the edge so when you move it, it will only go up or down .. Oh I don't lock in edges from the top or the bottom ... Save the board as ***top.mpc .. basically it .. When it carves there is usually like a 1/16 to an 1/8 " edge left on the board as the machine won't carve off the edge .. I just run it through the table saw to trim this off ... Hopefully I was clear,, sometimes I just get to rambling ... Ha :D

ktjwilliams
09-08-2015, 03:00 PM
I use 2.xxx not 3 ...

Thanks Kevin

ktjwilliams
09-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Thx Folks ... Haven't posted any of my stuff for a while,,, so I figured it was time ... Ha :p

mikemi
09-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Looks very nice Kevin.

Mike