PDA

View Full Version : Bit Depth does not Match.

shasta
09-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Keep getting Bit Depth does not match on different bits and different projects.

What exactly does not match?

Ive asked about this before but have been unable to solve the mystery but its really getting old.

shasta
09-05-2015, 04:09 PM
For Clarity, its the standard carving bit that came with the machine and the standard cutting bit, does it on nearly every project, if i tell it to continue it will barely touch the board when cutting. Its a year old CX machine. Sometimes re-uploading the project helps.

shasta
09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I'll go with more info, the bit is the same bit that carved the last thing, havent changed it out, project asked for vector bit, which im using the same bit for vector and carving, it checked out fine for vector bit, then when it asked for the exact same bit for carving bit it gives the error.

mtylerfl
09-05-2015, 04:45 PM
That's odd. Are you inserting the appropriate bit at every prompt? (You know, the redundant insertion of each bit that some folks skip during initial project setup at the machine).

Typically, you will be prompted to insert the Cutting Bit first...the machine homes and remembers the bit length. Then you are prompted for the Carving Bit. The machine homes, then the carving should begin. After the carving, you are prompted to load the Cutting Bit. The machine will home and if the bit length doesn't match the cutting bit length stored in memory, you will get the "bit depth doesn't match" error.

Some people ignore the bit swapping at the beginning of a project...they just leave one bit in the collet for all bit load prompts. of course this means they allow the bit depth error to occur and just press "enter" to continue. That usually works, but I do not recommend that procedure, because I think it's asking for trouble if an operator is not paying close attention during the project run.

So, if you are loading your bits as prompted for, then it has to be something else causing the error. Check your Z-truck travel and bearings. If the Z-depth differs between the stored memory depth and the real-time depth measurement, it is possible something is interfering with the z-truck travel and yielding different readings at different times. A dirty or frozen bearing, mis-adjusted z-truck bearings, rubbing of the z-truck against the mount, z-belt going bad or stretching, can all be things to investigate.

shasta
09-05-2015, 04:54 PM
That's odd. Are you inserting the appropriate bit at every prompt? (You know, the redundant insertion of each bit that some folks skip during initial project setup at the machine).

Typically, you will be prompted to insert the Cutting Bit first...the machine homes and remembers the bit length. Then you are prompted for the Carving Bit. The machine homes, then the carving should begin. After the carving, you are prompted to load the Cutting Bit. The machine will home and if the bit length doesn't match the cutting bit length stored in memory, you will get the "bit depth doesn't match" error.

Some people ignore the bit swapping at the beginning of a project...they just leave one bit in the collet for all bit load prompts. of course this means they allow the bit depth error to occur and just press "enter" to continue. That usually works, but I do not recommend that procedure, because I think it's asking for trouble if an operator is not paying close attention during the project run.

So, if you are loading your bits as prompted for, then it has to be something else causing the error. Check your Z-truck travel and bearings. If the Z-depth differs between the stored memory depth and the real-time depth measurement, it is possible something is interfering with the z-truck travel and yielding different readings at different times. A dirty or frozen bearing, mis-adjusted z-truck bearings, rubbing of the z-truck against the mount, z-belt going bad or stretching, can all be things to investigate.

heres the insanity of it: First try it asked for vector bit, which is the bit i had in the machine, checked out fine, then it asked for carving bit, which is the same bit I have selected so I left it in and it gives error, never got to it asking for cutting bit. Turn machine off, pull card, put it back restart machine, start project again, this time it asks for vector bit, checks out good, then cutting bit checked out good, the carving bit, this time no errors and its carving fine right now. Its so perplexing. I think it just likes messing with me.

aokweld101
09-05-2015, 08:11 PM
I thought that it's like getting on a boat..last one on, is the fist one off.. you do know that it starts with the last opperation that your project is asking for, if you are reinserting the vector bit and useing the hose that comes with carvewrite your depth can change by how much pressure you insert the bit with and will ask you to refind...

lynnfrwd
09-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Are you watching it touch slap plate?

shasta
09-05-2015, 11:58 PM
yes it touches and still gives the error, just tried another carve and the board kept rolling until the bit was off the end, not sure what thats about but its a first

mtylerfl
09-06-2015, 07:34 AM
I'll go with more info, the bit is the same bit that carved the last thing, havent changed it out, project asked for vector bit, which im using the same bit for vector and carving, it checked out fine for vector bit, then when it asked for the exact same bit for carving bit it gives the error.

Power off the machine between projects to clear the memory, then start fresh. You also mentioned the board keeps rolling...this indicates either a stuck roller or your board is not thick enough (minimum of 1/2" thickness is required). Might clean the board sensor too...maybe it's having trouble "seeing" the board edge when moving in x for measurement.

bergerud
09-06-2015, 10:14 AM

If the above stuff all seems ok, it could also be a dusty z encoder.

SteveNelson46
09-06-2015, 11:21 AM
yes it touches and still gives the error, just tried another carve and the board kept rolling until the bit was off the end, not sure what thats about but its a first

When the rollers are compressed a small amount of sawdust builds up under the ends and won't allow the roller to decompress. When measuring the board the board sensor doesn't look for the edge until the roller decompresses. If it doesn't decompress the board will continue until it looses contact with the brass tracking roller and gives you the message. To fix it, crank the head up to near the top and reach inside and squeeze the roller so it is in a compressed state. If you have difficulty holding the roller up you can use a board placed on edge and crank the head down on it to lift the roller. Use compressed air to blow out both ends of both rollers. On the left side there is a rubber washer. Blow out the sawdust on both sides. This is a common problem and this procedure usually fixes it. If it doesn't, you may have to remove the keypad end to blow out more of the sawdust. If that still doesn't work, you have other problems. Check the board sensor for sawdust inside the plastic lens.

shasta
09-06-2015, 01:28 PM
When the rollers are compressed a small amount of sawdust builds up under the ends and won't allow the roller to decompress. When measuring the board the board sensor doesn't look for the edge until the roller decompresses. If it doesn't decompress the board will continue until it looses contact with the brass tracking roller and gives you the message. To fix it, crank the head up to near the top and reach inside and squeeze the roller so it is in a compressed state. If you have difficulty holding the roller up you can use a board placed on edge and crank the head down on it to lift the roller. Use compressed air to blow out both ends of both rollers. On the left side there is a rubber washer. Blow out the sawdust on both sides. This is a common problem and this procedure usually fixes it. If it doesn't, you may have to remove the keypad end to blow out more of the sawdust. If that still doesn't work, you have other problems. Check the board sensor for sawdust inside the plastic lens.

I am familiar with that fix however on this particular project the board was still moving while it was checking the bits, I have never had that happen before so I am not certain why the board would keep moving when It usually would not be moving. It is possible I had not cleaned the machine out well enough in between projects, but that just seemed a little odd, I knew I should have stopped it then and checked it out instead of letting it ruin a good board but for some reason I didnt stop it.

aokweld101
09-06-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm going to ask this.. witch I ask all the ones that are starting the carvewright, do you have a dust collector, and if you do what are you useing ?

mtylerfl
09-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm going to ask this.. witch I ask all the ones that are starting the carvewright, do you have a dust collector, and if you do what are you useing ?

Good question...a ShopVac can wreak havoc due to static electricity. If using dust collection, try keeping it off for a project and see if all the "strangeness" goes away.

henry1
09-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Good question...a ShopVac can wreak havoc due to static electricity. If using dust collection, try keeping it off for a project and see if all the "strangeness" goes away.

I have a shop Vac for years now , but I grounded it in 2 place with alligator clamp never had a problem

aokweld101
09-06-2015, 06:00 PM
I had problems when I first setup, the I had the ringneck dust collector and a shop vac, I was constantly blowing out the the paper filter, for what the shop vac cost $169.00 I replaced it with the harbor freight 2 horse dust collector for $198.00 and it works a lot better.. what it cost me in parts I could of replace it.