PDA

View Full Version : Luxury watch clock

oscarl48
08-30-2015, 08:51 PM
I've had this idea for a long time and finally sat down and developed the pattern. I think it came out pretty sharp.

The fun part is I left space so if you want to add initials or a short word to customize it as the name of the watch brand. The mpc is set up as a double sided carve to fit the clock mechanism (may have to be modified depending on the mechanism you use). Pattern enclosed for any that can't open the mpc.

aokweld101
08-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Nice oscar!

Ducky63
08-30-2015, 09:18 PM
It looks nice Oscarl!!!

Bigtyme
08-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Very nice, Oscar!! Thanks for sharing....

Canemaker
08-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Great job, would look great on any wall in a jewelry store!

oscarl48
08-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks all. It was a quick, fun project that actually came out the way I envisioned it. Doesn't always work out that way. lol.

dltccf
09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Nice, I had been thinking about something like that too, glad I waited just a little longer than you :-).

Thanks,
dave

oscarl48
09-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Dave, lol. good. Glad I could oblige. :)

ktjwilliams
09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Nice work... How did it carve ??

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 10:47 AM
I work Monday through Friday so haven't had a chance to carve it yet. I don't foresee any issues though. I will be using hard maple which takes a fairly good edge. Padauk or purple heart would take a better carved edge but don't want to use it for something like this.

SteveNelson46
09-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I work Monday through Friday so haven't had a chance to carve it yet. I don't foresee any issues though. I will be using hard maple which takes a fairly good edge. Padauk or purple heart would take a better carved edge but don't want to use it for something like this.

Oscar,

This is a great project and you did a very nice job creating the pattern. On the back I changed the recessed carve region to a spiral pocket cut. I think this would reduce the carving time considerably. Just a suggestion on an otherwise perfect project.

henry1
09-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Oscar,

This is a great project and you did a very nice job creating the pattern. On the back I changed the recessed carve region to a spiral pocket cut. I think this would reduce the carving time considerably. Just a suggestion on an otherwise perfect project.
Can open it steve like Oscar said in 187 thx anyway I only have the 2.07 someday the 3

SteveNelson46
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Can open it steve like Oscar said in 187 thx anyway I only have the 2.07 someday the 3

Henry,

I couldn't open it in 1.187 so I just assumed the original was version 3

SteveNelson46
09-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Henry,

I guess Oscar did it in version 2 so here it is in version 2

bergerud
09-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Oscar,

On the back I changed the recessed carve region to a spiral pocket cut.

Neat spiral but that is a job for drill.

SteveNelson46
09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Neat spiral but that is a job for drill.

You're probably right but I thought the spiral was kind of cool so I included the .dxf.

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the comments. That is a great idea to change the carved region with a spiral cut.

Henry,

Original mpc was in 2 but you can duplicate Steve's design by putting a spiral cut on the pattern's backside.

Regards.
Oscar

henry1
09-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Henry,

I guess Oscar did it in version 2 so here it is in version 2
thx steve appreciated

henry1
09-03-2015, 06:30 PM
You're probably right but I thought the spiral was kind of cool so I included the .dxf.

Can I ask you how you did the spiral did you use the grid to do it love to learn

DianMayfield
09-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Oscar, Thank you! Between your watch and Alan's SARC logo, I have a gift for someone very difficult to buy for (well, besides ammo :)) It will be a great addition to his man cave!!

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Wow. That is gorgeous. I am so stealing that idea. Air Force emblem of course though. :D

P.S. ammo is always a great gift. :)

DianMayfield
09-03-2015, 07:31 PM
LOL.. you won't need the circles to cover up the smaller dials :)

But I take no credit, it was your beautiful watch that made it possible!

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 08:41 PM
lol. Actually I will also need to cover the little dials. The way I built the model the smaller circles are integral to the surface.

That'll teach me.

SteveNelson46
09-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Henry,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't use the Designer to create the spiral although I suppose you could. I used Aspire (Corel Draw probably would have been a little faster) and created circles by using the offset tool with .1" spacing. In the node edit mode I cut the vector circles along one side of the horizontal mid-center. Then, starting with the second from the outside, I moved each un-joined endpoint to the right and placed it over the adjacent endpoiint, and then joined the vectors. I repeated the process until all of the vectors were joined creating one spiral. I then exported it as a .dxf file. This sounds a little complicated but the whole process only took less than 5 minutes. There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.

mtylerfl
09-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Henry,

...There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.

Hi Steve,

You can use the Spiral Gadget in Aspire to create that vector in about two seconds. ;)

henry1
09-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Henry,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't use the Designer to create the spiral although I suppose you could. I used Aspire (Corel Draw probably would have been a little faster) and created circles by using the offset tool with .1" spacing. In the node edit mode I cut the vector circles along one side of the horizontal mid-center. Then, starting with the second from the outside, I moved each un-joined endpoint to the right and placed it over the adjacent endpoiint, and then joined the vectors. I repeated the process until all of the vectors were joined creating one spiral. I then exported it as a .dxf file. This sounds a little complicated but the whole process only took less than 5 minutes. There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.
thank you for the reply appreciated

oscarl48
09-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the great technique. Spiral tool also exists in coreldraw which took me about 30 seconds to create, copy and import as an image into CW software. I whole lot faster than using the arc tool to build the spiral.

SteveNelson46
09-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Hi Steve,

You can use the Spiral Gadget in Aspire to create that vector in about two seconds. ;)

Michael,

Yes you can but then you have to deal with the notch.

Also in Aspire the pocket tool path where you can choose either offset or raster is really nice.

SteveNelson46
09-05-2015, 10:31 AM
I think there are many ways that a spiral pocket can be designed. One way would be to use a spiral tool. You would need to calculate the number of revolutions in the spiral so the path of the bit you intend to use overlaps a little and then use a vector drawing package like Aspire or Corel Draw to create the spiral. To eliminate the "notch" where the spiral ends, superimpose a circle on top of it and cut the vector circle near the outside end of the spiral. Rejoin it to the end of the spiral to maintain a continuous cut .

I was just experimenting with the options.

bergerud
09-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Does your spiral cut from the inside to the outside? How do you control that when the spiral is a DXF import?

SteveNelson46
09-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Does your spiral cut from the inside to the outside? How do you control that when the spiral is a DXF import?

I haven't actually used this method to cut a pocket and without the ability to set a start point in the Designer I really don't know. In most cases I don't think it really makes any difference. A start point can be set in Aspire but I don't think it is transferred in the .dxf. The offset of the bit will also have to be dealt with to get an exact size. As you stated earlier, the drill tool is really a better choice. This was just an experiment.

bergerud
09-05-2015, 12:03 PM
And a cool experiment. I think the cutting direction is important. It makes the difference between climb cutting or not. Inside out - clockwise like the drill tool does is good. It would be interesting to see if curve orientation is preserved on DXF import.