PDA

View Full Version : Using a Sled

HerbO
03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I seen in on of the gallery threads about using a sled for small boards.
Looking over all the posts on sleds I still have some questions before I try...just to be sure.
If I built a sled 36" long by 14" wide and 1 1/2" sides and then tape or gluestik a board 6" x 12" x 3/8" what board settings do you put in the Designer? Do you position the board in the exact center of the sled?
If you would want to cut path would it carve thru the sled?
Thanks in Advance
Herb

liquidguitars
03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I make my sled with .75 sides but 1.5 is good
Center my work in the sled.
let my bit cut a blowout board if need be.. Set the depth in designer I do not use "cut path" make my own.
Set my project to the size of the sled.
Close the end of the sled 3.5" end to end to trick the board sensor.
And if you are carving a project with deep spaces tape over the voids.:p

Lig

HerbO
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks Lig,
Its starting to make sence. I have alot of 3/8" oak stock so I'll make a sled with 3/8" sides. Then make 3/4" sides to interchange.
Thanks!

Herb

Kenm810
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Herb

I’m not sure if this will help you, or just muddy the water a little more.
One Sled is 14x24 the other 14x16, with ¾” risers and ¾” base, both include the extra length needed at the ends of the project . I make the risers height the same as my project stock, in this case it’s ¾”, I also fill in around my project with clean scrap plywood. This and the turner’s double sided tape helps to hold the project in place and under the rollers while carving. The 14x16 one has a 6x6 pc I out lined in it ready to go. I’m sure there are several other ideas out there as well.
Ken

MrUserfriendly
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I noticed when initialize a project that the sensors do a number of things. Until reading this thread, I thought that the sensors prevented you from putting on anything but a smooth and flat board. You used a sled for smaller pieces of stock. I do not know if the cutting tool/carving tool is used as a sensor to sense the height of the board.

Can I modify an already made project by using a sled? Can I put in stock that is not flat by using a sled? If it can not do this, I would like to see this capabillity.

I want a sled with a small vice built-into it with wooden replaceable jaws.

As I see it, with your sled, you have to make a different sled for each size smaller board. I want a wooden-jawed vice on a sled. Probably, they would need to change some things in the software to make this work.

Greybeard
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Instead of a wooden vice, are you familiar with "folding wedges" ?
For those who aren't, it's a very simple arrangement of two wedges in opposite directions which gives you a parallel sided adjustment in a small space. Fill up any large space in the sled with a set of blocks, then finish with a pair of folding wedges.

Regards
John

Kenm810
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
The filler pc’s of plywood are just held in place with double sided tape to help hold the project which also taped, securely centered on the sled. I suppose they could be glued or screwed in place. But using the tape makes it possible to use the same sled over and over on different sized projects. With out any messy clean up. Once I use the plywood I mark it with size project that it used for and toss it in a box until I need that size again. I have 3 sleds 16,24, and 36 inch all by 14 that all I need . Having more then one sled makes it possible to carve a project while setting up another. If I had to have only one sled I would keep the 14x36 it can be used for 90% of my carving.

Ken

Kenm810
03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi John

Archimedes -- 2 incline plains about a 3000 year old vise
I’m certainly not saying I’m quit that old, although I did have to explain how it worked one time to a guy name Noah --- I seem to recall him building some kind of really big boat.
Ken

Top view

BoardSilly
03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Jeez... I hate to say this but they taught this in my high school woodshop! And I'm just a young chicken, though some would argue that I am an old buzzard.

pkunk
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Jeeze Doc, you must be older than I.:rolleyes::p

BoardSilly
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Jeeze Doc, you must be older than I.:rolleyes::p

No one is THAT old! <smile>

Kenm810
03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Guys
Not to sure about that

One of Sons told his Kids I was born the year they invented rope.---
Not to sure who he was tiring to impress them or me, ---Never did figure that one out.
I told him no matter how old I get, as long as I have my humor and wit, even half of it I’ll be OK. ---- Wait a minute did I just call myself a Half Wit . Nuts I did it again!

Ken