PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

oscarl48
08-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Okay, the greatest holiday is just 2.5 months away and I have to start thinking of what I will be this year. To get in the mood of things I will start a new thread for one of a kind patterns to spook and amaze your friends that will last until Oct 31, 2015. And Suzanne, yes alcohol will be involved in most of them. Today its a little water (vodka for you Russian speakers). My wife did make the statement, but its Tuesday?!?

oscarl48
08-18-2015, 08:33 PM
cranberry juice + little water = Manhattan = old timey drink

oscarl48
08-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Tonic water + little water = vodka tonic

oscarl48
08-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Speed modeling. Not really sure if its a grey or the other type. Forensics still have to come in.

oscarl48
08-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Idea is carve this into a box with a light behind it. Inverse pattern for this look.

CNC Carver
08-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Very nice Halloween patterns thanks for sharing.
Jeff

zan29
08-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Oscar, you're the best! :p

Okay, the greatest holiday is just 2.5 months away and I have to start thinking of what I will be this year. To get in the mood of things I will start a new thread for one of a kind patterns to spook and amaze your friends that will last until Oct 31, 2015. And Suzanne, yes alcohol will be involved in most of them. Today its a little water (vodka for you Russian speakers). My wife did make the statement, but its Tuesday?!?

dbemus
08-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Oscar,

Thanks for sharing in a timely manner for Halloween. Your pumpkin face could easily be made into a litho.

zan29
08-20-2015, 07:19 AM
Adding to your Halloween library Oscar!

oscarl48
08-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Suzanne, awesome! Thank you for a great pattern. I have the green light to go steam punk. Now have to start acquiring the accouterments.

CNC Carver
08-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Suzanne very nice addition for Halloween.
Jeff

Sliverfoot
08-20-2015, 10:41 AM
I like!!
Great patterns.

oscarl48
08-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Playing with 3d model sculpting. I am always impressed how faithfully the CW translates my stl's and also very pleased with this pattern. Learning a new skill set.

Pattern is set to pierce with ellipse set at .7 depth for image.

oscarl48
08-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Happy Halloween sign with candle in pumpkin pattern and previous pattern idea.

oscarl48
08-21-2015, 10:19 PM
A witches broom to be added to your creative compositions. Composition idea with angry pumpkin pattern. Playing with different wood grains in the designer software.

oscarl48
08-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Classic pumpkin eating pumpkin. All it took was a little beer.

zan29
08-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Go to bed Oscar! :D

Classic pumpkin eating pumpkin. All it took was a little beer.

oscarl48
08-22-2015, 11:40 AM
lol. thank you Suzanne. I think I passed out right before your post. Not alcohol though. I have insomnia and it finally caught up with me. :)

zan29
08-22-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Oscar, some nights I'm up at 2h00 and the machine is up and running and I'm working on the computer.........

lol. thank you Suzanne. I think I passed out right before your post. Not alcohol though. I have insomnia and it finally caught up with me. :)

oscarl48
08-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Suzanne, sorry to hear you have insomnia too. I hate it. Body still catching up. Slept 11 hours.

Today also slowly catching up with friends orders. Once people know you have fun tools the requests seem to always keep coming. Have some office signs for some friends. I'm using red cedar just because I love how it looks. Not a lot of abuse for the signs so soft wood okay. Today I should hit the 100 hr mark on my CW machine. I'm a little astounded in what I have been able to make in that period.

During the week I'll make a few more patterns. My costume is half made. Ordered the vest/jacket, gaiters, gun holster. Only need the top hat and bracers to complete the look. Still torn if some leather pauldron would be too much. Steampunk costume. I'll have to find my pocket watch. I know I have one somewhere.

zan29
08-23-2015, 04:08 PM
We want leather.......hahahah!

oscarl48
08-26-2015, 09:21 PM
lol. Leather it is. I'll post pics when I have the patterns made.

Working long hours so haven't had much chance to play with pattern making.

oscarl48
08-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Mark of the pumpkin zorro! ahhaa!

No. Alcohol was not involved though possibly overdoing the cold medicine.

zan29
08-27-2015, 03:41 PM
I don't know where you get all these crazy ideas Oscar but they are fun!
Love them!

oscarl48
08-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Suzanne it usually entails a little water. :p

I got my leather short top hat today! It is so cool looking. I am officially replacing my Stetson with it.

oscarl48
08-28-2015, 08:51 PM
"blaah. blaah. I want to suck you blood.", so said vampire pumpkin.

And yes a little water was involved. Though only one glass so far. :)

Any ideas on what to dress the pumpkin in next?

oscarl48
08-28-2015, 09:29 PM
"I cut down trees and skip and jump."

Happy Halloween from Lumber Jack pumpkin.

A little tidbit from one of my favorite comedian troupes from my youth.

oscarl48
08-29-2015, 08:17 PM
more of an idea but two basic patterns enclosed.

Also wanted to show off my leather working skills. Part of my Halloween costume. old man LARPing. lol.

oscarl48
08-29-2015, 10:45 PM
I want brains!!

Not a great pattern but fun to make. And I finally figured out how to port hair from blender 3d to stl. Change vector to mesh object and then solidify. Wooohooo!

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 07:50 PM
My version of a chaos symbol. Using a circle with a carved region for added shadow line.

oscarl48
09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
I am digging this one. Instead of a dream catcher I give you a nightmare catcher.

All components from previous models. Beauty of the beginning of an object library.

Now if only I had it organized in some fashion. lol. I normally can't find anything unless its by luck.

oscarl48
09-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Attempt at a Guy Fawkes mask. Still practicing my 3d sculpting skills so not great but another one for the library.

oscarl48
09-06-2015, 12:09 AM
One of the very best super Classic movies of all time!

"Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department.

That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?"

and

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

This was another sculpting experiment. I'll be making another original Necronomicon book design for myself later but it will be much scarier.

oscarl48
09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
I had to tone down the scary factor on this one or I would have had nightmares for weeks. There is nothing scarier than a clown. (With the right paint scheme this could scare little children and old men)

Quickly learning modeling but I'll have to swap out computers soon. The little squirrels in my machine just don't have the horse power to keep up.

Since these are practice sessions the patterns (this and the previous) took only 2 hours each to make. You could take several hours tweaking to make it perfect.

oscarl48
09-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Old coffin

You can cut out with the CW (outline and then cut path or select bit) but recommend band saw if available.

Use at least small draft to minimize chip out on the chains. Carve three of the sides and cut for the sides, top, bottom of the coffin. For the bottom trace the top and cut out on band saw.

CNC Carver
09-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Very nice Halloween carvings great work thanks again for sharing them.

zan29
09-16-2015, 06:32 AM
All nice patterns Oscar!

easybuilt
09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
That is so cool! great project! Thanks

oscarl48
09-17-2015, 07:17 PM
At this point I will take suggestions for patterns. My wife wants me to stop making scary patterns but that is part of all hallows eve. I am traveling next week but will attempt them when I get back.

oscarl48
09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Shallow Halloween small candy or nut bowl. Pierce and add a few tabs.

Could be used as a Halloween ash tray as well I guess though probably start smoking as well. lol.

Not recommended as an ash tray.

oscarl48
09-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Here is my first prototype for my book of shadows sketchbook. Happy with the carving design but not happy at all with the wood hinges I installed. I bought a jig to try to keep the alignment straight but doesn't work very good for this application. It was meant for dowel joinery. My drilling was not straight at all.

I failed to go to the lumber store on Friday so only had limited selection of lumber on hand so went with cherry but I wanted the book to be dark because of the subject matter. I used red mahogany stain on the cherry. I typically don't stain since I work almost exclusively with hardwoods and I love each species specific look but this combination blew me away. I'll post pics when completely done.

Have to start working on prototype number 2 soon. 34 days left before Halloween.

oscarl48
09-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I am learning that fur is really hard on my poor little computer. Nothing special. Just playing trying to learn how to use hair on my models. Still don't have it exactly down yet.

oscarl48
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
A little free styling 3d sculpting modeling. Sign and demon head/hands are separate patterns for versatility.

ktjwilliams
10-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Ya know what they say Oscar ,,,, Genius and insanity go hand in hand .... Ha ,,, Luv your stuff and thx for sharing ..

oscarl48
10-03-2015, 08:35 PM
lol. Genius not so much. Not right in the head...well always a possibility. :)

oscarl48
10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Not sure if fan art is allowed on here so will just show off the images. Really happy with image and pattern.

Diablo III Demon Hunter Crest

oscarl48
10-04-2015, 08:21 PM
One last pattern for the weekend. Haunted house mpc. The house pattern is enclosed on its own if you can't use the mpc. I used ellipses for ground and moon plus the angry pumpkin to create the mpc.

Used medium draft on moon and house.

oscarl48
10-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Hi I'm Chucky. Wanna play?

BWAAAHAAAHAAA Happy Halloween. Next to a clown a possessed doll is the next scariest thing.

My computer crashed as I was trying to save the model. Again I have failed to implement the save and save often rule. I had saved an initial stl to assess where I needed to clean up or fine tune more so this was not meant to have been the final version. Unfortunately, it is the final version. Too lazy to go back and redo it. lol

oscarl48
10-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Okay. To balance out some of my latest Halloween patterns I am enclosing a fun pumpkin pattern.

zan29
10-08-2015, 12:31 PM
How many drinks on this one Oscar??#%\%?? Love it!
Suzanne

oscarl48
10-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Suzanne. I don't know if I should be offended...but...ahem...3. ;)

oscarl48
10-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Yup. Time for me to start having some nightmares. brrrr. Chills up my back.

zan29
10-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Don't be, I love what you do .........just messin' with ya!

Suzanne. I don't know if I should be offended...but...ahem...3. ;)

oscarl48
10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Suzanne. I was messing with you as well...it was actually 5. lol

zan29
10-09-2015, 03:12 PM
LOLOLOL too funnny!

Suzanne. I was messing with you as well...it was actually 5. lol

PSQRD
10-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Here is my first prototype for my book of shadows sketchbook. Happy with the carving design but not happy at all with the wood hinges I installed. I bought a jig to try to keep the alignment straight but doesn't work very good for this application. It was meant for dowel joinery. My drilling was not straight at all.

I failed to go to the lumber store on Friday so only had limited selection of lumber on hand so went with cherry but I wanted the book to be dark because of the subject matter. I used red mahogany stain on the cherry. I typically don't stain since I work almost exclusively with hardwoods and I love each species specific look but this combination blew me away. I'll post pics when completely done.

Have to start working on prototype number 2 soon. 34 days left before Halloween.
http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78087&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1443399172
Is this Tyrael?

oscarl48
10-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Wow. You have a good eye. Yes it is.

oscarl48
10-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Just a small pattern to add to a Halloween scene somewhere. Pattern is of the bones only.

oscarl48
10-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Here is a weeping angel. A fun little build.

For those who aren't Dr. Who fans. This is a creepy monster that steals your life by simply touching you. It only moves when you can't see it. So don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. If you do it will get you. brrrrr. Chills up my back again.

This will be the last one for this years' Halloween. Too much work at work and at home. Still trying to finish my costume for next week.

Regards and Happy Halloween,
Oscar

Edit: I am adding a different version. Not a lot of difference but I had attempted to texture the first pattern so it looked like stone. I don't think it was very successful so including a version without the texture. I think it looks slightly better.

oscarl48
08-12-2016, 08:26 AM
It has been pretty quite lately but...

The greatest holiday is only 2 1/2 months away. In celebration I want to inaugurate the season with a special pattern. One you get to pick. So for the next few days I would like to get suggestions on what pattern I should build. Only caveat is it has to have some touch point with the holiday.

It will be limited to my poor modeling skills and artistic talent but leaving the topic completely open, symbol, thing, scene, whatever.

- Oscar

oscarl48
08-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Man, its not quite. Its a graveyard. bwwaahaahaaa.

May I introduce Mr. Pumpkin Head for the CW cnc patterns. Similar to Mr. Potato Head he is a build it yourself type of pattern. Enclosed is the basic pumpkin canvas.

Set Merge style to Additive.

Place your different eyes and mouth patterns over the pumpkin canvas and set it slightly deeper than what you have your pumpkin at.

I have the pumpkin at .25 in and the eyes and mouth at .3 in in the picture for reference.

oscarl48
08-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Enclosed are the mouth and eye pieces I've created so far.

Have fun and create you own add on pieces. Share any additions to the list if you want. I created all of these in the CW software so super fast and easy to do.

Unselect floor feather and set feather to none.

oscarl48
08-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Not sure how well this will carve but should be okay. Recommend a small or medium draft due to the thin areas.

Enclosed an intermediate version rendered in blender to show the different piece parts (and because I thought it was cool). Modeled as 2.5d.

SteveNelson46
08-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Nice job on the haunted house, Oscar

DianMayfield
08-13-2016, 01:19 AM
Love this one Oscar! Halloween is my favorite too:twisted:

henry1
08-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Enclosed are the mouth and eye pieces I've created so far.

Have fun and create you own add on pieces. Share any additions to the list if you want. I created all of these in the CW software so super fast and easy to do.

Unselect floor feather and set feather to none.
Can get any pic all dark lol

oscarl48
08-13-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks Steve. Dian, wow super creative. Henry. :)

normrichards
08-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Thanks for waking up the forum Oscar! It has been really quiet around here.

oscarl48
08-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Norm, its still quite. But its cloudy and gloomy today and really muggy so will be staying in. I was going to make a small drafting table today but I'll leave it for next weekend. That means more time with the computer on.

I've been playing around some more with 3d sculpting hoping at some point I get better at it. What do you think about this piece. I am calling it the Night of the headless horseman. I thought it would be cool to have the frame already done as part of the pattern so don't have to do any additional woodworking. So the entire picture you see is the pattern. :)

normrichards
08-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Wow, is all I can say, that is really detailed and awesome!

oscarl48
08-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Norm,

Thanks. Didn't come out the way I hoped it would. My skill level is still just below what my mind wants to build. I'm getting closer though.

Enclosing the pattern in case anyone wants to play with it. Small to medium draft is good on this one.

- O

normrichards
08-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Sometimes an artist is too critical of him or herself. So many times I see a woodworker point out little flaws that no one would even notice. I tell them to stop doing that and just let people admire the item. While being critical of your own work helps you to keep growing and get better keep it internal do not be critical of your own work to others. The pattern you created rivals anything I have ever seen on here and you have become one of the masters on this forum. Also while many others have stopped sharing and helping others you have continued to do so freely. It is very much appreciated. I think the forum and maybe the carvewright machine itself is dying off and you trying to help stop it is really great. Keep it up and dont sell yourself short I really mean it when I say you have become among the best here.

oscarl48
08-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Norm, thanks for the kind words. This is just a small dry spell. It is summer and a lot of folks have busy lives.

One of the strengths of the machine is that pattern making is fairly simple (comparatively). Now making a good pattern is another matter but making a simple pattern takes no programming skills or advanced math to figure out. A few tricks with some graphics tools or designer basic and you can make basic patterns.

I'm also slowly drifting away on to new hobbies. This 3d stuff is completely amazing and is slowly sucking me in more and more. But woodworking has been the one hobby that I have not strayed too far away from these last 30 years so probably won't go too far it. And 3d graphics flows perfectly into cnc pattern making.

oscarl48
09-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Woohoo! Just 2 short months before Halloween. To celebrate I'll grab a beer and post Death's portrait. He is smiling knowing Halloween is just around the corner so allowed me to take a quick pic of him.

oscarl48
09-04-2016, 11:01 AM
More artist type of rendering but the image is set up as a picture. Pattern is of the scene only. This would be so cool as a mold and have pavers of this on Halloween. I won't do it but it would be cool.

oscarl48
09-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Any requests for 2016 Halloween patterns? No guarantees on quality but can give a try.

oscarl48
09-23-2016, 10:53 PM
A fast and nasty interpretation of some metal goth ear noise. Demon mask for carving because demons have a full free night on Octobers eve.

"I feel so extraordinary something has a hold of me."

zan29
09-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Love it Oscar!

oscarl48
02-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Just doing speed modeling exercises and for some reason I keep going to grotesques. But it was fun and it made a great rendered picture.

Not optimized for pattern making but I still made it into a pattern in case someone can use it for next Halloween or for that someone special. ;)

Mike1
02-20-2017, 07:03 AM
They came out great. I will do these with my grandson, he will love it. Thank you for sharing

oscarl48
02-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Mike,

I am glad you can use it. Hope its a fun project with your grandson.

Oscar