PDA

View Full Version : Need an option in replacement of carved letters

kelsky
08-17-2015, 02:35 PM
As you can see from the pictures, I filled in the carved letters with a white marble inlay. When staining a darker cherry color the inlay didn't repel the stain like they said it would. So looking for alternates to cover up the carving. Maybe a nice carved overlay that I can glue on top? All ideas welcome. Unfortunately, I am beyond putting this piece back in the CW. The size of the carved letters are 4" L x .75" H overall. So pretty small which is probably why the inlay appears to be grabbing the stain.

DianMayfield
08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
My first reaction would be to use a dental pick to try and pull out the inlay. Is that practical or possible?

What is the item? Might give folks a better idea on what/how to overlay so that it looks nice.

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2015, 07:29 PM
What happens if you surface sand it?

kelsky
08-17-2015, 11:14 PM
the more I sand the brighter it gets, however, the stain goes as well.

FWMiller
08-17-2015, 11:40 PM
How about using a router collet and bushing inlay set. Route out the area around the old text using a template. Create a filler piece of contrasting wood and carve the new text using the CW plus router template and glue it in place. Make it look decorative.

fwharris
08-18-2015, 01:22 AM
Maybe a white marble colored paint? They make a acrylic medium called glazing or pearlization that gives it a glossy finish look.