PDA

View Full Version : Idea for anchoring small cutouts..

flyingemt
08-13-2015, 11:12 AM
All,

I am currently making 200 Fighter Wing shields for our First Sergeant Fundraiser. Material is 1\4" thick and really didn't want tabs.

Getting creative, to attach to my sled, I took 2" blue painters tape to the center of the back of my project piece. Afterwards, I applied double-sided carpet/laminate tape to it, (found at Lowe's). Peeled the second backing off and then mounted into my sled.

Works perfectly! My small ornaments, 3.5" x 3.5" stay in place during the cutout process without moving at all.

Thought I would share, I have pics if anyone needs a visual.

Mike

mtylerfl
08-13-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi Mike,

We all would love to see some photos when you have a chance.

flyingemt
08-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Here we go, in sequence....

Mike~~~
~

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Nice Design....

I cut plastic tags on a carrier board and use 1/4 inch strips of double stick tape that works for me.

If I were doing wood and lots of detail... I would leave a skin on the bottom to hold all the parts together then use a thickness sander or a palm sander to remove the skin and let the parts drop out.

And for bits.... I would recommend the eBay Circuit Board 1/16th inch short 1/8th inch shaft bits. I use a 1/8th inch bit holder to 1/4 inch shaft for the roto zip system to hold the bit. Bits are CHEAP and SHARP...

I also set up my vector lines then select all and LIE to the machine and tell it I am using a 1/4 inch bull nose bit. This locks the machine into 1st gear feed rate for a excellent smooth cut... If you don't lie to the machine the machine will use 1st and 2nd gear feed rate and the 2nd gear can snap the bit or give a rough cut.

I also use place on end rather than center on board. I draw a 4 inch rectangle on the right side of designer and keep all art to the left. Keeps under rollers so you don't snap the bit.

:) AL

mtylerfl
08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Cool beans, Mike and AL! Handy tips.

normrichards
08-13-2015, 03:32 PM
I recognize the Ryobi BT3000 table saw, (also came out as a Craftsman) I really enjoy mine.

flyingemt
08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I recognize the Ryobi BT3000 table saw, (also came out as a Craftsman) I really enjoy mine.

Indeed it is Norm! I'm going to be selling it soon in a garage sale so I can get the 36" rip Delta model I want. :D

2A Finishing
08-14-2015, 01:40 AM
I've been working on cutting out pistol grips (approx. 2"x4"x.25") - I use hot glue to stick them to a piece of quarter inch plywood in my sled. Comes off easy with a sharp chisel, residue cleans up with acetone.