PDA

View Full Version : Measures past project till board fall out.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 08:44 AM
I have my project on a carrier. The project is 11.25 x 22 plus I have 3.5 inch blocks on each side as I always do. When it is measuring the length it does the one side fine then when it goes to the other side it slows down like it's going to stop at the end of the block. Then it keeps going past it till the board almost falls out of the machine. Any ideas never had this problem before.

zan29
08-13-2015, 08:46 AM
I think it has to do with your tracking sensor not working properly or not making good contact with the carrier.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I have masking tape on the bottom same carrier I always use. The weird thing is it measures the left side fine then when it goes to measure the right side it goes slow at the end like its going to stop then it keeps going till the board tips up at the other end because the rollers lose contact with the board.

SteveNelson46
08-13-2015, 08:56 AM
I have my project on a carrier. The project is 11.25 x 22 plus I have 3.5 inch blocks on each side as I always do. When it is measuring the length it does the one side fine then when it goes to the other side it slows down like it's going to stop at the end of the block. Then it keeps going past it till the board almost falls out of the machine. Any ideas never had this problem before.

It's probably the front compression roller. Sawdust accumulates under the switch and won't allow the roller to decompress. The board sensor doesn't start looking for the edge of the board until the roller decompresses. Lift the roller by hand on each end and use compressed air on both sides of the rubber washer. Here is a link to the doc that explains it.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CarveWright_service_cleaning_rollers.pdf
(http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CarveWright_service_cleaning_rollers.pdf)
Also, if the board pops up after leaving the front roller you need to use supports to keep the board level.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Ok checked the rollers they are both released I cleaned them anyway and tried it still goes past the last block till the board tilts up and almost falls out.

bergerud
08-13-2015, 09:17 AM
If the rollers are switching properly as you say, this is weird behavior. I would reformat and reflash the card and try again.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 09:18 AM
If I reformat and reflash the card do I lose all the projects on the card.

SteveNelson46
08-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Ok checked the rollers they are both released I cleaned them anyway and tried it still goes past the last block till the board tilts up and almost falls out.

You should support the board on both ends. Especially if you're using a long sled. If that doesn't work, as Zan said, you may have a board tracking problem. Try using a board without the sled to see if the machine measures it okay.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 09:20 AM
It's not a real long sled and I have used this sled for all my projects most of them bigger then this one

bergerud
08-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Just reflash the card then and reload the project you are working on.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Ok this might be a stupid question but how do you reflash the card I see reformat

SteveNelson46
08-13-2015, 09:26 AM

Yes. You will have to upload the projects again.

SteveNelson46
08-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Ok this might be a stupid question but how do you reflash the card I see reformat

I think the button says "Firmware" and then "Latest Firmware".

bergerud
08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
You first go the File - Flash Manager

bergerud
08-13-2015, 10:07 AM
If that does not work, do as Steve says, just try and measure a simple board.

xchief807
08-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Ok update I deleted the project and designed it again downloaded to the card and it still did the same thing. So I went ahead and reflashed the card I did not lose any of my projects. I went outside tried to run the project and bingo project is carving as I write this. Once again this forum has helped me and has me up and running thanks everyone for all your help. No way could I do this without all the help from everyone on here.

xchief807
08-18-2015, 12:42 PM
New update Tried to run a project today and same problem spits board out the back. I checked rollers they are working fine. I called Carvewright and was told to check rollers I did they are fine. Next thing was check head pressure. When I click the handle 3-4 times I have 100lbs to much that was the problem. If I click the handle once I have 80lbs project runs no problem. Its been very hot here in NJ so I think this is why. I will remove a washer or 2 from the handle for now when it gets colder I will put them back.

bergerud
08-18-2015, 12:50 PM
That is strange. I have not seen that before and, I have experimented with many different head pressures. Hmm...

xchief807
08-18-2015, 01:13 PM
I guess having too much or too little can cause this to happen. At least it was an easy fix.

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
As I understand the machine in this case.....

When the sled gets past the roller and lets it release, this turns on or wakes up the board sensor to look for the end of the board.

So not until the rubber roller drops will the board sensor pay attention to the board end or edge.

IF the rubber roller sticks then the sensor will not wake up and the board will be spit out....

IF the roller drops and wakes up the board sensor and the board sensor does not detect a EDGE then the board will spit out....

a. This can be as simple as the board is too dark in color and when the edge of the board passes under the board sensor the change from reading reflective light off the board and darkness of the belt will be very little of a change. The machine is looking for a difference in the reading indicating the board edge... Masking tape on the BOARD TOP EDGE can help... changing the color...

To review how the board sensor works... 2 IR LED's shine light on the board and a IR sensor in the middle between the LED's detects the REFLECTED Light... This is why I like to TEST the Board Sensor with a piece of white paper. I get about a 156 with white paper. It's like shining headlights down a dark road at night and the reflectors stand out as they are returning light to your eyes... No reflector, no reflected light...

IF your sled has EDGE RAILS then masking tape or a scrap board must placed at the point where the EDGE of the RAILS are... SO when the roller drops the board sensor has something to look at...

So test your board sensor... Sounds like a DIRTY WINDOW....

IN my picture of the Roller Sensor, sawdust can build up on the flat plate where the roller rests like filo dough in a layer causing intermittent roller release.... Remove the Keyboard side carefully to blow the sawdust out... Careful of the keyboard wires so they don't RIP...

AND lastly.... The wires from the Board Sensor, the 4 wires can pinch and short to ground intermittently... ALSO... The Signal from the Board Sensor passes through the FSC Cable and a intermittent cable can cause this TOO

Good Luck,

AL

xchief807
08-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Al, not sure you have seen my last posts it was caused by to much head pressure I was at 100lbs as soon as I took it down to 80lbs it worked fine. Apparently too much or too little can cause the board to be spit out. I appreciate you weighing in all of your points are valid ones. Hopefully if this happens to anyone else they can fix it from seeing our posts

Kevin

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Al, not sure you have seen my last posts it was caused by to much head pressure I was at 100lbs as soon as I took it down to 80lbs it worked fine. Apparently too much or too little can cause the board to be spit out. I appreciate you weighing in all of your points are valid ones. Hopefully if this happens to anyone else they can fix it from seeing our posts

Kevin

Fantastic !!!! I was thinking it was just a lucky try so I added my stuff... But it looks like you did get it fixed. GOOD JOB !!!

AL

bergerud
08-18-2015, 08:57 PM
I am not buying it! I think you have an intermittent roller switch.

xchief807
08-19-2015, 07:03 AM
I played with those rollers for 10 minutes and they switch no problem. I blew them out they are all clean they switch over as soon as you release them. The minute I took the 100lbs down to 80 the project went thru with no problems. I just did a measure board test and it went thru no problem. When I did the measure board test before with the head pressure at 100 it kicked it right out the back. I will try another test again and report back.

xchief807
08-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Ok I just went out and did the measure board 3 more times with the head pressure at 80lbs and everything went perfect so at this point I have to believe that was the problem. Bergerud I trust your input and I hope that you are wrong. At this point it is working fine. When I talked to Carvewright yesterday they felt this was the problem too. I guess time will tell I hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head again. Thanks everyone for your input.

bergerud
08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
It is just that the only reason I have seen for the board rolling out is the roller switch. If too much head pressure somehow makes the roller stick, I could buy that. Otherwise, head pressure makes does not really make sense to me. I will be interested to see if the problem returns.

fwharris
08-19-2015, 11:51 AM
It is just that the only reason I have seen for the board rolling out is the roller switch. If too much head pressure somehow makes the roller stick, I could buy that. Otherwise, head pressure makes does not really make sense to me. I will be interested to see if the problem returns.
I agree that the most common issue with the board running out of the machine is the roller switch being stuck in the closed position. this will not activate the board sensor as Al described. IF the board sensor was at fault when the board goes past the 3 1/2" point you would probably get a edge detection failure. You probably cleared your problem by working the rollers up and down and blowing them out.

xchief807
08-19-2015, 02:39 PM
I worked the rollers and blew them out and I still had the problem. That is when I called carve wright .as soon as I corrected the head pressure the problem went away. I had checked for stuck rollers ever time it happened and they were always ok

bergerud
08-19-2015, 02:48 PM
I think we are flogging a dead horse here. Let us know if it comes back to life!

xchief807
08-19-2015, 04:43 PM
I will keep you posted so far so good no problems let's hope it stays that way

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2015, 10:22 AM
If it happens again place a wide board in the machine and use the Z data and a bit to touch the board surface by hand to see if the head is level. A out of level head could cause this.

AL

xchief807
08-20-2015, 11:03 AM
I just ran another project today made sure I was at 80lbs and worked with no problem so far so good.
Thanks kevin

xchief807
09-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Ok new update everything has run good for awhile today I tried to run a project and I got check board sensor it was measuring past the board again. I checked my head pressure and sure enough I was over 100lbs its 97 here today in NJ and my machine is in the garage. When its cold I have low head pressure. As soon as I lowered the head pressure the project ran thru no problem.