PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST 2015 Project of the Month - Ladybug Treasure Box

mtylerfl
08-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Hello,

This project features sliced components assembled in layers to create an integrated leaf base and Ladybug sitting on the leaf. Lifting off the wing will reveal a storage area inside the Ladybug’s body for stowing special treasures such as jewelry and other small keepsakes. It will make a great gift for some lucky recipient!

This project is designated as Intermediate because it is most practical to use some small power tools (rotary tool, spindle sander and a small belt sander) to get the sanding accomplished rather efficiently. However, it can all be sanded by hand if you don’t have those tools - it will just take longer. You’ll find there is a fair amount of sanding involved for this project. The mpc components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The finished dimensions are about: 8.5" wide x 11.75" long x 3.75" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Ladybug_Layout_1.mpc
• Ladybug_Layout_2.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Layout 1: 0.75" x 9" x 27"
Layout 2: 0.75" x 11" x 27"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Sandpaper, clamps, blue painter’s tape, wood glue, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details. A spindle sander and small belt sander is also recommended to speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my sample Ladybug Treasure Box:

• One light coat of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol) on all parts
then sanded when dry

Wing Lid:
• Rust-Oleum Traditional Cherry Ultimate Stain
• One light coat Krylon clear Acrylic spray
• Traced dots and painted with a black paint pen
• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

Leaf and Bug Body Assembly:
• Painted leaf with slightly thinned green acrylic paint
• Applied Rust-Oleum Ebony Ultimate Stain, then quickly wiped off the stain from the leaf to expose some of the underlying green color
• Painted white areas on head with a white paint pen
• Several coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

henry1
08-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Would like to know who does the painting nice

mtylerfl
08-10-2015, 07:52 AM
My three employees did the painting...Me, Myself and I. ;)

henry1
08-10-2015, 08:06 AM
that is nice an very informative

aokweld101
08-10-2015, 08:49 AM
You need to tell them 3 employees they done a good job and pat them on there backs... Nice job...

mtylerfl
08-10-2015, 01:07 PM
You need to tell them 3 employees they done a good job and pat them on there backs... Nice job...

Thanks. I'll do that!

rcdages
08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Just a wonderful POM
I love the colors you used and what a great
in general gift to give some one.

I have 3 Munchkins and a Troll and they like to hide out more then work.
The Troll is never working just bossing about the Munchkin.

Should have not signed them to a long term contract. ..........Lol

dbemus
08-10-2015, 03:34 PM
One of your best Michael! Very intricate design! Can't wait to carve it!

lynnfrwd
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
The Ladybug Treasure Box has been uploaded to the Pattern Depot, however the database is set to refresh sometime during the night. Normally, I could get Metallus to do a forced refresh, but he is out on vacation. I set the POM email to go out tomorrow (I imagine at midnight 01), since there is no way to tell it what time. You should have everything by morning.

rcdages
08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
So your saying do not try to down load
the POM till tomorrow.
Is that correct??

farmer
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
I just downloaded it but can not activate it!

mtylerfl
08-10-2015, 04:48 PM
I just downloaded it but can not activate it!

I'm sorry for the delay. I believe we have to wait until the database refreshes (sometime after midnight tonight, is my understanding).

sunmiztres
08-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Nice project. I learn so much by studying your projects and see how you made them come together. Thank you Michael!

farmer
08-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Good thought I was doing something wrong.

lynnfrwd
08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I went ahead and sent the POM Newsletter, but it will probably be morning before you can use it.

oscarl48
08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Super creative. Very nice.

mtylerfl
08-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I hope you'll have a great time making this - I sure did! My wife already wants to give this one away (to a granddaughter birthday) , so I'll likely need to make a couple more for Christmas gifts!

sunmiztres
08-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Just curious... Did you use STL software to create the different parts? I am on the verge of buying the STL importer but keep wondering if I will actually use it enough to make it worth my while.

mtylerfl
08-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Just curious... Did you use STL software to create the different parts? I am on the verge of buying the STL importer but keep wondering if I will actually use it enough to make it worth my while.

I did all modeling in the Vectric Aspire software, then exported as STL's. YES, I used the CarveWright STL Importer to slice and convert to the CarveWright PTN format.

Also, I use the DXF Importer for nearly every project I create. I had created all the vectors in Aspire during the modeling process, so I exported those vectors as EPS, and imported into CorelDRAW. Once in CorelDRAW, I exported to DXF selecting the AutoCAD 2004 version (which I've discovered has fewer issues with lines not being connected). Then I used the CW DXF Importer software to get those vectors into my CW MPC layouts.

I could have exported the vectors from Aspire as DXF, but again, my experience is I get better results by exporting from Aspire as EPS for CorelDRAW where I have the option to choose the AutoCAD 2004 DXF format (which is not an option in Aspire...it uses the older R12 format, which I don't like as much).