PDA

View Full Version : pattern doesn't carve

Sliverfoot
08-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I am trying to carve these pieces of a picture frame. Loading the board and the bits seem to go as they should but when the carving is supposed to be happening nothing is being carved.
The bit is turning , the board is moving , the truck is going up and down, but it is not carving into the wood.
When designing this I changed the default bit for all the carves from 90 degree to 60 degree but I can't see how that should cause the problem. I measured the thickness of my board and verified that it is 3/4. The clear silicone collar is pushed down on the bit as far as it will go. I'm stumped.

lynnfrwd
08-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Did you watch the bit actually touch the bit plate on far side and then come down and actually touch the wood?

Sliverfoot
08-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I saw it lower to each spot. I'd have to run it again and watch with a light to see if it touches or falls just short.
The one thing was different with this project is after choosing it from my project list. the machine "verified" and some numbers scrolled quickly up to 333.

Sliverfoot
08-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Just tried it again, The 1/8 cut bit touches the bit plate and the wood. The 60 degree touches the bit plate and doesn't even try to touch the wood before carving. It goes from the touch plate back across the wood to where it starts to carve (or tries to).

bergerud
08-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Have you used the V bits on this machine before? If I recall there were some C machines with a controller bug. A wrong parameter and the centerline air carved.

zan29
08-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I have used both bits on my C machine without any problems so it should work.

bergerud
08-07-2015, 04:35 PM
There was a problem with the factory calibration of a run of C machines. That is what I was referring to. If Silverfoot's machine was one of them, he will need to get a patch file from LHR.

lynnfrwd
08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
There was a problem with the factory calibration of a run of C machines. That is what I was referring to. If Silverfoot's machine was one of them, he will need to get a patch file from LHR.

This is a B machine and doesn't fall within that window.

bergerud
08-07-2015, 04:56 PM
This is a B machine and doesn't fall within that window.

Ok, it is not that then. Could it be firmware? Do a format and re-flash of the firmware and try again.

Sliverfoot
08-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Ok. not sure what you mean.
How?

henry1
08-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Ok. not sure what you mean.
How?

Go to your program scroll down to flash manager and reformat your card

bergerud
08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Go to File - Flash Manager... (Right above Upload). Press Format and then Firmware. Reinstall the latest firmware. Upload your project again and give it another go.

Let us know how it goes.

Digitalwoodshop
08-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Back to basics... I think it is just dirty Z Rails.... With the V60 being a shorter bit the Z head must go down further to do it's bit touch and since the Z Motor Current Sensing is turned on looking for a increase as it touches the bit plate then reversing. The dirty rail is what the z truck is hitting, I call it a "Speed Bump". Either a bunch of sawdust and wood sap on the rail or in the Z Belt cogs...

The Rail in "No Mans" land between the upper and lower Z rail Bearing needs to be cleaned too...

Likely the left Z roller Rail where the SPLATTER of wood chips and sap hit and build up....

Since the 1/8 inch bit is longer, the rollers don't get into the dirty area.... and works fine.

I use a tooth brush size brass wire brush to scrub the rails....

The "speed bump" simulates touching the bit plate TOO early hence the Air Carve....

Hence the suggestion to always watch the bit touch every time....

AL

bergerud
08-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Just tried it again, The 1/8 cut bit touches the bit plate and the wood. The 60 degree touches the bit plate.....

I do not think that is it Al. The V bit touches the bit plate. What else would cause the air cut?

SteveNelson46
08-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Maybe the sleeve or the collar on the bit shaft needs to be longer or slid up. I don't know what the tolerances are but it might be possible for the bit to touch the bit plate and still be too short.

Digitalwoodshop
08-08-2015, 12:53 PM
I do not think that is it Al. The V bit touches the bit plate. What else would cause the air cut?

Missed the touches...

Bad dog.... go to your coop.... :)

AL :)

Sliverfoot
08-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Finally got a chance to try running it again, sorry for not getting back sooner.
I didn't want to reformat my card right away because I had a few hours of scanned items on it. And I just had too much going on around here to get back in the shop. My apologies.
Ok, tried reformatting and then reinstalling firmware, unfortunately it didn't change a thing.
Tried changing the position of the sleeve on the shaft, nada. The machine calls for the cutting bit first and goes through the touches. Then it calls for the 60 degree and dips on the near side goes and touches the touch plate on the back side, comes back and tries to route but just air carves.
Something that I noticed when I reloaded the project into Pro. I get several messages saying that "A font used in this project [***] isn't installed on this computer. A best guess substitution was made from the available fonts"
I don't remember any warnings before, maybe they were there, but I don't remember. I did design this using windows 8.1 and have switched to 10 in between loading it to the card. I don't know I'm stumped.

bergerud
08-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Try a project which just uses the V bit and see if that works.

Sliverfoot
08-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I'll give a try now.

Sliverfoot
08-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Ok ran a "running a test" using the 60 degree on normal and then I changed the pattern to try a 90 degree.
The 60 degree, in some places barely carved, the 90 degree was much better. I suppose this is a no brainer but this is my first experience using centerline.

fwharris
08-30-2015, 12:27 PM
It just might be possible that you need a firmware patch provided by CarveWright. There were some machines that were having the same issue of centerline not carving at the designed depth a couple of years ago. You will need to call them to explain your problem and then they should email you the patch and instructions..

Sliverfoot
08-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Ok thanks, I'll call tomorrow.
Do you have any suggestions on the font messages I was getting? I know that Pro uses truetype fonts. Is there a way of downloading them and installing them into Pro?

fwharris
08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Ok thanks, I'll call tomorrow.
Do you have any suggestions on the font messages I was getting? I know that Pro uses truetype fonts. Is there a way of downloading them and installing them into Pro?

The Designer software uses the fonts installed on your computer. If you want to add more fonts, after down loading them you can either double click it or move it to the "windows/fonts" folder.

rickroy
08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
I feel ridiculous asking this as it is pretty basic and I'm sure that I'm off base but here goes ... is the "conform" box checked in project designer?

Dale
08-31-2015, 11:15 AM
If you are placing text ( Centerline or outline) in a carved region you have to check the conform box or nothing will show.