PDA

View Full Version : D2 International truck

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Darren,

D2 International truck patterns. Due to the depth of the model I was getting really bad patterns using stl import method so attempted picture and bas relief techniques instead.

first image settings are depth .25 height 100 with .25 carved region (image)

second image settings are depth .7 height 800 with .25 carved region (bas relief)

pictures of model enclosed so maybe some of the CW greybeards can make a decent pattern from it. I am not very good with this method of making patterns. the pictures have to be flipped vertically. I like to model from the right side so not correct as pictured.

Regards,
Oscar

henry1
08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Nice one , Oscar your getting good

bergerud
08-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Did you use Blender bas relief or Sculptor bas relief?

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Dan, it was blender bas relief. I haven't played with it in a while so I am sure I am not optimizing the settings. I think I am becoming a jack of many but master of none.

Henry, thank you.

bergerud
08-03-2015, 10:12 AM
If I had the STL, I could give Sculptor a try.

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Dan, that would be great. Its 13M if you don't mind me jamming up your email. Please don't laugh at my terrible modeling skills.

bergerud
08-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Ok, lets try: bergerud (at) shaw.ca

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Dan,

Thanks again. Realized I sent the wrong file first. Second email has the stl I meant to send. Sorry for any confusion and the spam.

Regards,
Oscar

bergerud
08-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Oscar, I only got half a truck. Is that right? I can only do a side view.

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
That was the wrong one. lol. I was attempting to maximize depth of pattern by deleting parts of the truck that were not visible on that one. big fail.

The correct stl should be there soon. sorry.

Running over to the base for an errand and to pick up a motorcycle battery. Be back in about an hour.

bergerud
08-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Well I guess it was too big. I saw it going up to 19MB and then nothing. 20MB limit maybe. How big is the Blender file?

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Dan,

How very odd. I confirmed its only 14.2MB (at least at this end). The blender file is 13MB. I'll try sending that and see what happens.

bergerud
08-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I am afraid it did not work out too well. There were places where the normals were reversed and it was not very smooth. Since it was made in Blender, you could probably do better by tweaking the parameters in Blender.

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Dan, thanks for trying. It was only a 5 hour model build and it shows. I'll try cleaning it up later. I thought I had taken care of all the normals. Some must have snuck in when I joined the different parts. I also used different versions of blender which can do strange things. I only have the bas relief plug in for blender ver2.6 but I now usually only use ver2.7. It has much nicer features.

eelamb
08-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Oscar, was your blender pattern a 3D pattern?
When doing the bas relief, did you get two images a mask and a gray scale, then using photoshop or gimp merge those two images?
I looked at the grayscale you posted and it was very flat, like you squished the 3d pattern before using the bass relief. If you like send me the 3d blender file and I can make the bass relief for you and send it back to you. eddie at lambswoodworking.com

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Eddie,

Sent you the blender file.

Yes, I use the gray scale and mask images. I am a Corel user. I don't know but I have been unable to learn how to use the photoshop layers since I learned masks first in Corel back in my early twenties.

The problem I have with this project is I built the model in blender version 2.7 but only have the bas relief plug in for version 2.6. The two versions do not play well together. 2.7 was a major update to the software. Maybe with your magic you can do better than I did. I am not good with 2d conversions to patterns. This model is so deep that I just couldn't get a lot of detail from it when ported as an stl.

Thanks for looking. The model itself is pretty bad (mesh is terrible) but visually (picture wise) it looks good. So good candidate for 2d conversion.

Oscar

eelamb
08-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Sorry had been outside. Left my outlook running, but came in and found the UPS went out, so scrambling to get power back to the internet modem and router. I am downloading it now. But if 2.62 has trouble opening 2.7 blender why not save as stl out of blender. Then open the stl file in 2.62. I am always working in some other software, and saving the file as stl or obj then opening it in 2.62 blender. I only have 2.62 myself due to the bass relief feature. Yet I will try it in a few minutes.

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Eddie,

No worries. Its not a very good model but you may be able to do something with it since you have more magic than I do. swapping stl formats between the versions is out of the box thinking. I like it.

The usability of 2.75 is hands down a whole lot better than 2.62. It may be worth the change.

eelamb
08-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Check your email the files are coming your way. here is a image of the ptn from it.

oscarl48
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Eddie,

Nice and thank you. I keep learning every day. Another tool in the chest with your and Dan's help. This project was for dehrlich (Darren).

Regards,
Oscar

eelamb
08-03-2015, 08:39 PM
I did add a few details back in that got lost, like the outline of the door, and the spokes on the front tire, plus smoothed the pattern some to remove the steps in grayscale. Although I should have paid more attention the hood ornament, it had reversed normals, I added it back in but left a hole. That can be fixed using PE on your end, or just import the stl file I sent you and fix it with blender.

Oscar, you are much better at pattern making than I am.

oscarl48
01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Re-did the pattern using the new bas relief node setup in blender. Definitely some pros and cons versus the old add-on.