PDA

View Full Version : Wooden brooch idea

oscarl48
08-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I was researching some Victorian designs when I came across a wooden brooch and my mind started going down a bunch of paths. This is a first prototype for the concept. I already have a bunch of different design ideas coming to me. This first one was 3.5 inches in height and I believe too big but as proof of concept I think it worked well. I just have to become a better 3d modeler for my other ideas. :)

I really like the maple on black walnut. It was maple laminated on black walnut first and then carved so the walnut was revealed as the carving went deeper.

henry1
08-02-2015, 05:17 AM
That is nice you posting the mpc

aokweld101
08-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Oscar, where do you get your black walnut from ? I really have a hard time finding it here it is not a native tree, I wonder what a palm tree carves like ?

oscarl48
08-02-2015, 07:46 AM
aok, I am not going to be any help. I get it from my local Air Force base wood shop. They generally have maple, cherry, oak, and cedar on hand (though it goes fairly quick). I can special order most exotic hardwoods with a 30 day turn around. I know their supplier is in Arkansas.

Henry, after I clean this one up and get the proportions better it will go into my "I hope to sell these patterns later" bunch. I think this will be a three pattern thing. The patterns I want to use for the other two are still just slightly out of my skill level but I am slowly getting better.

bergerud
08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Wooden jewelery would be a hard sell to the women I know! Got any wooded nickels? The only hope I see for something like this is if the material is really exotic and the carving is really high detail. Maybe something like palm nut (looks like ivory) laminated with ebony and carved with the 1/32" bit. Double sided might also be good.

I tried making trefoil knot earrings once, I tried different materials: rosewood, bone, and ebony. (They were like my avatar but only 1 inch across.)

oscarl48
08-02-2015, 11:54 AM
lol. Dan that is so true. This is actually meant to be more of costume jewelry. Its my wife idea. She wants to pair these brooches with the hand knitted afghans and shawls she makes.

sunmiztres
08-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Beautiful work! Your wife has a great idea with pairing them with afghans and shawls. Would work really well as a bow look wrapped around her knitted creations.

ktjwilliams
08-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Trust me ,,, Women want Diamonds .... Ha ... Just ask my wife

oscarl48
08-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Lol. What's funny is I have gotten my wife diamonds and I believe every other gemstone (I may have missed a semi-precious stone) but she prefers polished stone and handcrafted doodads. At heart I think she is a hippie except she is more too the right than I am in politics and that is pretty right. For our wedding anniversary she got me a beautiful AR. She did get pissed off at me that I didn't pick her rifle to display with the sword.