PDA

View Full Version : carving words and phrases

joesprin
07-26-2015, 08:04 PM
I only get good carvings of words and phrases about half the time. Most of the time, the letters have parts missing, even though they look fine on the screen. I thought the problem might have been that I brought the text in and then manipulated the box. This often resulted in the text being smaller than the 90 pts. in the type in area. So, I tried putting in the text at a lower point so that I wouldn't have to size it. Same thing happened -- text looks terrible and is barely readable. Have tried changing optimations setting on pattern in program and also setting carving machine to best carving. I also tried reducing the height and depth of the text and that didn't help. I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Occasionally, I will get something that will carve beautifully. Don't know why the difference.

fwharris
07-26-2015, 08:42 PM
If you could post some pictures of the carvings we might get a better idea of what your problem might be.

dbemus
07-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Are you adding "draft" to your letters???

mtylerfl
07-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Ditto to what Floyd said...provide something specific (preferably an MPC, but a photo might be helpful, as well...or, ideally, provide BOTH).

Also, ditto to the question about whether you are adding Draft to your lettering. (You should be for raised letters.)

Different font styles and sizes can have dramatically different suitability for carving as raised lettering in wood. So...give us something to "see" so we can help you more efficiently.

carrothers
07-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I have also learned that the "proportion" of the letter needs to be maintained....so if you are using a True Type and import it into your MPC ..be sure to lock the width and height on the box that it's in so you don't change the proportion.

Proctorw
07-28-2015, 08:44 PM
I had the problem with VBits when I first bought my machine. There was a "Bug" in the depth software of the "C" machines purchased in early 2013 (I believe). I worked with Carvewright and they came up with a solution. Could be the same issue.

CNC Carver
07-29-2015, 05:50 AM
Might need to check wood for twists or different depths. I've found putting wood thru thickness planner helps alot.

Jeff

mtylerfl
07-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Lots of good guessing and tips...but...we still need specifics. An MPC example of a "problem" project and photos of a real carve would be great!

joesprin
07-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Not sure what you mean by adding draft. I usually only get to work on my wood projects over the weekend, that's why I haven't replied. I'll try to take a picture of one of my carvings along with the mpc. I've been carving for about three years now, but this is the one bugaboo that always gets to me. I make an ambo for church with a lot of parts in oak, and all the letters carved great -- of course they were about 2 1/2 in. each. OOOPS! Sorry -- just went back into the program and saw the draft feature which I never noticed before. Can't wait 'til the weekend to see if adding the draft makes any difference. Also will try to maintain heighth and width. Also will take a picture of carving and include mpc. In the meantime, thanks to all who have replied to my post. Wish I had more time to play -- I probably could figure some of this out if I had time.

joesprin
07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Can you remember what the solution was? That's about the vintage of my machine -- could be a machine problem or a software problem.

mtylerfl
07-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Can you remember what the solution was? That's about the vintage of my machine -- could be a machine problem or a software problem.

The Draft feature was added with the specific purpose of adding a gentle angle to the outer edge of lettering (or anything you want as it turns out now), thereby reducing chipout during the machining process - especially thin parts of lettering. The Small Draft is a 7 deg angle, the Medium is 25 deg, the Large is 45 deg (if my memory serves correctly).

SteveNelson46
07-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by adding draft. I usually only get to work on my wood projects over the weekend, that's why I haven't replied. I'll try to take a picture of one of my carvings along with the mpc. I've been carving for about three years now, but this is the one bugaboo that always gets to me. I make an ambo for church with a lot of parts in oak, and all the letters carved great -- of course they were about 2 1/2 in. each. OOOPS! Sorry -- just went back into the program and saw the draft feature which I never noticed before. Can't wait 'til the weekend to see if adding the draft makes any difference. Also will try to maintain heighth and width. Also will take a picture of carving and include mpc. In the meantime, thanks to all who have replied to my post. Wish I had more time to play -- I probably could figure some of this out if I had time.

This is an example of draft. The appearance will be affected by the height and depth of the object you are applying the draft to.

cestout
07-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Besides Draft, you need to set Bit Optimization to Best.
Clint

joesprin
08-18-2015, 10:40 AM
It wouldn't let me post the pictures. Said I didn't have permission to post them. New problem this AM. When I turned the machine on, I couldn't read the display. Tried changing the contrast, vacuumed everything, checked memory card -- nothing seems to help. Has something blown -- such as system card. LATER POST -- took memory card back to memory reader and did update firmware. Brought it back to the carver and it started up okay -- so at least for now that problem is solved. I'm now trying to get the z-truck tightened. There is quite a bit of wobble, which I think accounts for lots of the poor quality of carves. Going to go back to step one when I get a chance and re-install z-truck. Would it be advantageous to get a carvetight spindle with a new z-truck. Are most people happier with that??

bergerud
08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Is it getting power? Try to move the carriage by hand. If it is getting power, you will feel resistance.

DickB
08-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Would it be advantageous to get a carvetight spindle with a new z-truck. Are most people happier with that??Yes, definitely. Big improvement in quality and noise.