PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Sculptor has been removed - Norton 360

Mike58
07-23-2015, 06:03 PM
I have just spent a good while with my shop computer getting Wi-Fi connection restored and downloaded and installing 24 Windows updates. Restart computer to finish the update procedure then get a pop out window in the lower right of the screen from Norton saying "Sculptor has been removed". I realized Norton had removed the Pattern Sculptor program and I undone this. But below is a screen snapshot of the Norton information regarding this.

Anybody else have this happen. According to Norton the file is unsafe and was quarantined. Knowing that I have used it and it has previously survived scanning by Norton concerns me that something has happened.

lynnfrwd
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Sounds like Norten added a reputation flag. We have 130 users, so far, and it has been out about 9 months. Norten, like Microsoft doesn't know who we are. You do.

After reading a little about , I think that Norten has "scanned" less than 50 Norten users that are also using Pattern Sculptor within the last 7 months.

SteveNelson46
07-24-2015, 10:07 AM
I haven't used Norton for a long time but, all anti-virus programs have an exceptions list that allow you to skip over a file during the scan. You may have to consult the manual or contact Norton to find out how to enter an item in the list. Usually it's just the executable file that needs to be added but, there may be other files associated with the Sculptor program that need to be added also.

EDIT: Norton should have a log file on your computer indicating what files were deleted and they should still be in the quarantined folder. You will have to use the Norton program to see what has been quarantined. More than likely, you will just have to add Sculptor.exe to the exceptions list and then reinstall the program.

lynnfrwd
07-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Beware that running a virus scan can often change your Computer ID, which means you would need to re-register your software (and have licenses available)....AND IT'S FRIDAY, so don't do it this evening or in the morning...you will have to wait until Monday for us to deactivate the old computer ID.

Jus' sayin'!!!!

Mike58
07-24-2015, 10:56 AM
I reversed the quarantine in Norton and think it ask about no longer checking or scanning or something.

The thing is, Norton has been on the computer since I got in several years ago, and have had to renew my subscription a few months back, which required downloading and installing a new Norton I guess. It does routine scans automatically - and has previously scanned Sculptor many times without issue. Why it decided to quarantine it yesterday after months is sort of strange to me. Stranger still is that there are only 130 users of it and I would be the first one to have something like this happen.

After unquarantining Pattern Sculptor I ran the program and it worked still so I guess Norton did nothing but block running it someway that you can undo from within Norton.

24 windows updates - 270 Mb downloaded then once restarted to finish installing the updates this happened. The shop computer runs the embroidery machine we have as well as the Universal Laser, Graphtec plotter, and used for my Carvewright software and web research. It REALLY annoys me that programs and Windows change things without my knowledge AND PERMISSION that cause the software programs I REQUIRE to work to run very expensive equipment to no longer work, or work incorrectly! I have spent countless hours troubleshooting things over the years. Once after windows installed some updates the software from Sony to download the videos from the video camera we had stopped working and had to be removed from the computer. Microsoft was aware of the issue and referred users to Sony for an updated program which did not exist at that time. So what do I do now? Had to wait for Sony to come out with a newer program.
I know much of this is because of security and hacker crap that causes Microsoft to constantly have to patch and update things.

What a world we live in......:(

SteveNelson46
07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
I can really understand your frustration. I spent 30 years in Information Technology and viruses and their related programs required a inordinate amount of our time. At least most program companies are willing to patch and issue updates to counter the malicious nonsense. More than likely, the Norton program entered the Sculptor program in the exceptions list for you when you un-quarantined it.

Geomoo1
07-24-2015, 11:59 AM
I no longer allow Norton products anywhere near my computers. They are another in a long list that has a tendency to take over your machine.

RMarkey
07-24-2015, 12:07 PM
The more I've had to deal w/ varying computer issues, the more I'm inclined to say "if it ain't broke...". I rarely update Windows except on test machines. This is one reason why I don't recommend moving to Win10, because all updates are mandatory.

SteveNelson46
07-24-2015, 03:21 PM
I no longer allow Norton products anywhere near my computers. They are another in a long list that has a tendency to take over your machine.

I agree George. The University of Arizona IT Center stopped using it as their main "go to" back before they were bought out by Symantec. It's just too invasive. I'm using Windows 8.1 and the only thing I use (and recommend) is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro. However, nothing is perfect.

Mike58
07-24-2015, 04:17 PM
And for yet more confusion, the computer I use inside our house also has Norton and Pattern Sculptor on it. installs paralleled each other. Norton has not quarantined Sculptor on it. Some programs that I can install on both I do, Corel Draw, Adobe Suite and Designer among others are on both. Sometime I work in the house on things, sometimes in the shop. I have a HP home server that everything gets saved to that is hard wired in the house and accessed via Wi-Fi in the shop. The home server is perfect for me to work either place and keep the data file accessible so there is only one file that gets opened or modified.