PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated Why am I getting textures where none is at before

kcc2012
07-11-2015, 11:50 PM
I haven't carved in a while due to health situations however today I started to carve a project I have done before but this time with disastrous results. I don't know what going on. Im including pictures. I did the carving twice with the grain in different directions.
76936This is the first one I did several months ago. 76937This is the first one done tonight. The 2nd one came out the same just going in a different direction. \76939what the project board looks like.

I would appreciate any help I can get to understand what's going on.

Thank you in advance.
Ambrose Stapleton

fwharris
07-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Are the lines in the X or Y direction?

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Good question I'm not exactly sure how to determine that. I did two different carves and placed the board where the grain was in different directions.
I tried to look at it while it was carving but couldn't tell what was happening.

fwharris
07-12-2015, 01:01 AM
Good question I'm not exactly sure how to determine that. I did two different carves and placed the board where the grain was in different directions.
I tried to look at it while it was carving but couldn't tell what was happening.

When it was carving was the head of the pattern towards the key board side ?

bergerud
07-12-2015, 08:34 AM
That looks to me to be a pattern thing. Can you upload the mpc? Any changes in software versions? Bit optimization?

zan29
07-12-2015, 09:26 AM
It looks like it may have been carved along the grain instead of across.

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 10:02 AM
76941Its been about 7 months since I have had the strength to carve anything at all and now that you mention about bit optimization I realized that I completely forgot to do that step. Back to the drawing board as they say. I will try that and see how it comes out and keep you posted. Hopefully that's all it is.

Ambrose

zan29
07-12-2015, 10:32 AM
The optimization will make a big difference for sure.

SteveNelson46
07-12-2015, 01:02 PM
76941Its been about 7 months since I have had the strength to carve anything at all and now that you mention about bit optimization I realized that I completely forgot to do that step. Back to the drawing board as they say. I will try that and see how it comes out and keep you posted. Hopefully that's all it is.

Ambrose

Ambrose,

This is project is made from a scan and imported into the Designer. My recommendation would be to use the pattern editor to clean it up first. If you zoom in real close you can see little peaks. Especially in the hair on the left side. The pattern editor should be able to clean it up. Then, place the pattern on the board again and set the bit optimization to best, remove the feather, and set the draft to medium.

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Its not made from a scan its an STL file I purchased. Looking at it in designer I can see what your saying about the raised areas. I don't know why they are there because they aren't in the STL which I am looking at know. I've made one before and it came out really good. I did the whole bit optimization thing and re-carving it and its still doing the same thing. Ill give your suggestion a try but I'm still baffled why it would work before but not now.

DianMayfield
07-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Any chance you have something stuck in the bearings/rollers?

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
In my house anything is possible. I checked that just incase and even blew it out with air, ran the test and everything seemed to work fine. I sure hope this is just operator error and not machine error. Operator error is easier and cheaper to fix.

Carving it for the 4th time we shall see if the corrections I made will work.

bergerud
07-12-2015, 04:14 PM
How did you convert the STL into a pattern? Are you using the same pattern you used before or did you go through some process to make another pattern?

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 04:50 PM
I use the STL importer to convert the patterns and then I use the pattern editor. I wish I was smart enough to figure out how to use these other programs out there. Its carving fairly well right now still getting the texturing in the background but not as much. I'll have to see once it all finishes.

kcc2012
07-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Grrrrrr!!!!! It was carving really nice everything grooving like its supposed to almost done with the carve and I get a Y Axis Stall error code E05-0303.

I cant really deal with it anymore tonight. It wont be until Friday or Saturday before I can even consider tackling this problem. Ill be gone starting tomorrow for Dr's appointments in Anchorage till late Thursday evening. Please keep the advice coming and Ill tackle it when I get back.

fwharris
07-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Ambrose,

This is project is made from a scan and imported into the Designer. My recommendation would be to use the pattern editor to clean it up first. If you zoom in real close you can see little peaks. Especially in the hair on the left side. The pattern editor should be able to clean it up. Then, place the pattern on the board again and set the bit optimization to best, remove the feather, and set the draft to medium.

I set optimization to high and the peaks went away.. Sometimes best will pick up the defects and exaggerate them. But like Steve suggested it would be best to clean it up in the editor.

kcc2012
07-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Thank you all for your helpful advice. I just got back home last night from spending a week in Anchorage for Dr's appointment and also surgery. I had to have two kidney stones removed by a laser (10mm and 8 mm) and now trying to recover. Ill get back on the carving in a few days as soon as I get back into the swing of things.

Ambrose

zan29
07-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I remember having lines similar to this a while back and it was due to the tip of my bit that was damaged for some reason.

kcc2012
09-08-2015, 02:55 PM
I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been once again dealing with health issues 6 more kidney stones and a pinched nerve that's made my whole right side numb and tingly. Slowly getting better.

I think I have figured out the problem with my machine. The adjustable bearings on the Y/Z truck have come out of position and causing the truck from moving up and down properly. So I ordered the Quick Change Removal Flat Wrench (http://forum.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16999&cat=) which I thought was the tool for the tool to adjust the bearings with since I didn't see any other tool for sale. Got it today and of course turns out its not the right one. I don't have another $33.00 to spend on getting the wrong tool. Since its not being sold without having to buy a whole kits anybody know where I can get a Cam roller wrench to use to adjust the roller bearings.

Neither of the two auto parts stores or the hardware store or bicycle shop here have any and they don't carry them or can get them.

Thank you
Ambrose Stapleton

fwharris
09-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been once again dealing with health issues 6 more kidney stones and a pinched nerve that's made my whole right side numb and tingly. Slowly getting better.

I think I have figured out the problem with my machine. The adjustable bearings on the Y/Z truck have come out of position and causing the truck from moving up and down properly. So I ordered the Quick Change Removal Flat Wrench (http://forum.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16999&cat=) which I thought was the tool for the tool to adjust the bearings with since I didn't see any other tool for sale. Got it today and of course turns out its not the right one. I don't have another $33.00 to spend on getting the wrong tool. Since its not being sold without having to buy a whole kits anybody know where I can get a Cam roller wrench to use to adjust the roller bearings.

Neither of the two auto parts stores or the hardware store or bicycle shop here have any and they don't carry them or can get them.

Thank you
Ambrose Stapleton

I just ground down a regular 12 mm open end wrench so it was thin enough to bit behind the truck.

kcc2012
09-09-2015, 03:29 PM
That's what local people keep telling me and I will probably have to but to be honest my grinder intimidates me. I know that's silly but it does.:p

DianMayfield
09-09-2015, 04:52 PM
LOL... I took mine to a local machine shop.. they polished it and everything :)

cestout
09-10-2015, 04:53 PM
I got to this discussion late and was going to suggest checking the the Z and maybe the Y truck rollers. You will need that wrench in the future, so not a waste of money.
Clint

kcc2012
10-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Thank you all for your comments and support. I went ahead and got the whole set up with the tools a little more then what I wanted to spend but I know it will be worth it.
I also want to apologize again for my lack of consistency on being on here and responding to people. I have been having a lot of health issues. I have crohn's disease and have had this for about 15 years but I have been having a lot of problems that I shouldn't be having especially when my GI says I'm in remission. Turns out I also have MS. So Ive been going through a whole lot of test and an adjustment period. So once again I apologize for not being timely on my responses I appreciate your patience and your help.