PDA

View Full Version : Easy build chest in cedar

oscarl48
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
This was the test piece used to validate the easy build chest instructions (linked below). I used the 2nd variation with no gap at the top of the chest. It is raw cedar with a poly finish after at very quick 120 grit sanding (I hate finishing). I like the rustic look but the pattern works really well in pine/alder for painting if a more sophisticated look is desired. Just remember to use a sealer or primer first.

I used 16 separate carvings to decorate the piece. As stated at the beginning of the pattern thread, you don't need a CW to build this but it does amp it up a level or two. A one of a kind piece, unless you make one using the same patterns :).

Pattern is very easy to build, versatile and can be modified in almost every aspect.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?27634-Hopefully-a-fun-project-challenge-contest

Mikewiz
07-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Very nice piece. Thanks for sharing

zan29
07-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Oscar it's gorgeous!

oscarl48
07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Suzanne, Mike,

Thank you. Fun little build. I know this is not fine woodworking but as a starter piece or just learning woodworking its fine. A fine piece of furniture takes me a week to build with all the dovetails and mortise and tenon construction plus the attention to detail. This you slap together in a day. I know this look is not for everybody but selection of the species of lumber used makes a big difference in final look (plus stain or paint).

CNC Carver
07-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Very nice work and the instructions look great also! Thanks for sharing.
Jeff

xchief807
07-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Really nice work looks great. I might have to give this a shot.

DianMayfield
07-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Hi Oscar,

It did turn out wonderful! Did you use fence pickets, it has that rustic look that is so popular now? :)

oscarl48
07-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks all. DianMayfield, almost. They were Lowes cedar boards. They were heavily warped and a little difficult to work with. If I was not going for the rustic look I would have planed them flat but for this project it didn't matter much. You can see a little bit of the unevenness in the pictures. You can clean that up with sanding and hand planing if you want a more refined look (though a lot of work).

Be careful with fence pickets since many are treated with chemicals to make them rot resistant and not very human healthy for in the house.

All. Post pictures when done so I can get inspired as well. :)

sunmiztres
07-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Great job!!! Thanks for sharing and for doing this for other forum members.

oscarl48
07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Hope you have a chance to build it. If nothing else it makes a quick but nice little gift.