PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find instructions- Where?

Underdog
07-06-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm trying to find the old archived "Tips and Tricks" but any links I find either lead to a dead end, or to a private message screen..
What gives?
And why make it so hard to find?

zan29
07-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Here it is
http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/

Underdog
07-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Is there anything in there about how to use the 2D Vector Drawing module?
I'm trying to see if the trim tool is as limited as it seems...

DianMayfield
07-06-2015, 02:46 PM
http://support.carvewright.com/category/cwsoftware/add-on-apps/vector-drawing-suite/

This is all I found on the 2D suite

bergerud
07-06-2015, 02:51 PM
The trim tool does not work on circles. You have to draw circles as two joined arcs and then the trim tool will work.

Mike1
07-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks Suzanne, very helpful. Does anyone know of a tutorial of what each of the tools or actions do on the tool bar in Designer. I thought there was one in the help menu but I can not find it. Thank you.

cestout
07-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I have never found a full "Help" section.
Clint

Underdog
07-06-2015, 03:27 PM
The trim tool does not work on circles. You have to draw circles as two joined arcs and then the trim tool will work.
Yep. But where does it tell you this?
I finally found the information I needed in the overview video of the 2D Vector Drawing suite. Took a while to finally find the information.
In order for the trim tool to work, you must first select all the vectors to be trimmed...
I found out the hard way that it doesn't work if you select one of them, then select the trim tool, then try to select the second vector.

want2b
07-06-2015, 06:23 PM
I have always seen that as a weak point with the program, 'Help', doesn't explain a lot. Haven't found much that the 'Help' actually explains well. We the unknowing can only be thankful that those who can figure how tools work are here on the forum and willing to share their knowledge. Might be something worth a little improvement, those that write it already understand the various features, maybe the assumption is that those who purchase must have the ability to figure the features out?
Rick H

aokweld101
07-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Go to AskBud's CarveWright channel- YouTube, it has great tutorials to watch a lot of great information.

Underdog
07-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the help folks.

I realize what was throwing me. And I think I've mentioned this before.
When you go to the support pages, what looks like one video, is actually a linkie to another page of linkies...

If CW would get rid of the mystery navigation, and replace it with commonly understood navigation aids, it would help me a great deal.

Underdog
07-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Here's what I'm talking about when I say "mystery navigation":
Here's the link to the page:
http://support.carvewright.com/

If those links had looked less like a single video, and more like a radio button, I would not have spent 30 minutes clicking past them....

Underdog
07-07-2015, 08:38 AM
So here's the other critique* I would offer about finding published tutorials, videos, or other help files (besides the forum users).

It's all over the place.

It's not in one concentrated place where you KNOW where to find it. It's scattered everywhere.

The tips and tricks (http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/) are in one place, the tutorials for the add-ons are in another (http://support.carvewright.com/category/cwsoftware/add-on-apps/vector-drawing-suite/), and in the software products page (http://www.carvewright.com/add-on-modules/vector-drawing/), there's some more...
Why not put them all in one place where they can easily be found?

(*Not that they are not well done. When you finally find them, they a​re very helpful. Michael Tyler does a good job on these. It's not his fault that the web page builder scattered them to the four winds....)

lynnfrwd
07-07-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to find the old archived "Tips and Tricks" but any links I find either lead to a dead end, or to a private message screen..
What gives?
And why make it so hard to find?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "Tips & Tricks"

Looking for Pattern Modeling Video?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "pattern modeling video"

Looking to activate software?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "activate software"

I'm not a fan of this way, either, and I have made that clear to the powers that be.

My thought is, without a list, people don't know what is there, so then they don't know to look for it...

normrichards
07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I also spent at least an hour trying to find things like how to transfer the registration on a used machine. I gave up looking for the tips and tricks months ago until these posts showed me where to find them. Has to be the worst website design I have ever used.

zan29
07-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for letting CW know about it Connie. I'm not a fan of this new website at all! I think nobody is.

RMarkey
07-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Rather than [everyone in this thread] griping in general, be more specific as we don't have a team of people looking at the web-flow statistics.

For example:
1) Move tips and tricks to the front page
2) Why have a bits section on the front page when there is only one article in it?
3) Why is "machine packing instructions" in the "downloadable forms" section but not in the "purchasing and shipping" section on the front page?

and face it, Connie, if you had your way, every article would be capitalized and bold faced on the front page. :-)

Dale
07-07-2015, 11:55 AM
I don't normally complain much on this forum as I am generally very pleased with what this machine can do, but I must say the software manual leaves a little to be desired. As an example I just tried to find info on using the Trim Tool. I went to Support then Software and typed in "Trim Tool". Up popped Software FAQ and "Add On's". Since I did not know what add on contains Trim Tool I have to click on each add on ( OK some are obvious that it will not be in) until I find it is in 2D Vector Drawing Suite. I find it listed there but still does not have any info on it. Seems like going to Support - Software - and then typing in Trim Tool should send me to a page where I can figure out how to use it.

zan29
07-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Probably like most folks did is work with it until you figure out which is what I did. I must admit that I had some knowledge with those types of software that really helped me.
I think this forum is the best as far as knowledge and support and you'll always get an answer without having to dig for it.

normrichards
07-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Rather than [everyone in this thread] griping in general, be more specific as we don't have a team of people looking at the web-flow statistics.

For example:
1) Move tips and tricks to the front page
2) Why have a bits section on the front page when there is only one article in it?
3) Why is "machine packing instructions" in the "downloadable forms" section but not in the "purchasing and shipping" section on the front page?

and face it, Connie, if you had your way, every article would be capitalized and bold faced on the front page. :-)

Need to find easy directions or maybe even a online form to fill out to change registration of machine.

All tips and tricks, manuals, tutorials, and other educational material should be in one area, maybe an educational section?

Faqs are hard to find and nowhere on them does it mention changing machine registration

If you do go to software activation section no where does it mention activating basic software when you buy a used machine or transfering ownership to someone else.

After logging in to customer account there is no (or I could not find it) easy way to get back to the home page of the regular website. Normally clicking on the company logo should do that but it did not.

I am totally new and until I found the forum I was lost and even the forum does not have the easiest way to find things especially things discussed in the past and since the web page must have been changed many links in the forum posts are no longer any good.

Dale
07-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I agree this forum is great and I'll always get an answer but at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning I may have to wait awhile. It still would be nice to be able to find the info in the manual and not rely on other people to help me.

zan29
07-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I totally agree!

Underdog
07-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "Tips & Tricks"

Looking for Pattern Modeling Video?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "pattern modeling video"

Looking for rebate form?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "Rebate Form"

Looking to activate software?

Go to SUPPORT > BROWSE TOPICS > type "activate software"

I'm not a fan of this way, either, and I have made that clear to the powers that be.

My thought is, without a list, people don't know what is there, so then they don't know to look for it...

Why should I have to type anything is my question? It should be immediately obvious.
Tell you what, if your webmaster will contact me, I'll buy and send him or her a book. Easy to read, easy to follow. It's written by Steve Krug, web page guru from WAY back. He's made websites for heavy hitters like Amazon...

It's called "Don't Make Me Think".

Basically the idea is to make navigating a website VERY obvious. We don't analyze websites as we browse, we simply wander around looking for the most likely candidate and click on it. If it turns out we have to click too much....

We go somewhere else.

bergerud
07-07-2015, 02:24 PM
I do not think it is that bad. I, of course, did not initially like it because I was used to the old site. (Some link forwarding would have been nice so all the old posted and bookmarked links would not just 404.)

Only users who know what they are looking for would use the browse - search. Old users looking for something they know is there but has moved. I think one can get to everything without having to type or think too much.

One just has to get used to it. There is nowhere else to go! LOL.

lynnfrwd
07-07-2015, 02:33 PM
All tips and tricks, manuals, tutorials, and other educational material should be in one area, maybe an educational section?

They are in one area...it is called "SUPPORT"

Faqs are hard to find

They are also under SUPPORT

and nowhere on them does it mention changing machine registration. If you do go to software activation section no where does it mention activating basic software when you buy a used machine or transfering ownership to someone else.

I have added this information about used CW/CC to the Purchasing FAQs, the Software and the Machine Setup pages.

After logging in to customer account there is no (or I could not find it) easy way to get back to the home page of the regular website. Normally clicking on the company logo should do that but it did not.

You click on the words MAIN SITE in top right corner.

I am totally new and until I found the forum I was lost and even the forum does not have the easiest way to find things especially things discussed in the past and since the web page must have been changed many links in the forum posts are no longer any good.

Welcome to CarveWright.

Underdog
07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
They are in one area...it is called "SUPPORT"

Groan.

So..... your web guy doesn't want a free book?

lynnfrwd
07-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Groan.

LOL. Don't think for a second you have me beat in the "groaning" department. :/

Underdog
07-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Linear Learning Guide... What a concept.

http://support.carvewright.com/learning_guide/