PDA

View Full Version : Question about side rails

djarboe
07-05-2015, 02:08 PM
I am getting ready to carve a new project. I thought my board was .75" thick, but it measures at 0.7". I have two sets of rails I use in order to save wood. One set is 0.75" thick, the other is 0.625" thick. Which one would y'all recommend?

I generally attach them to the workpiece with double sided carpet tape. I then clamp them in the center and at both ends of the workpiece, and let them sit overnight to let the tape adhesive get a good grip.

Dave

fwharris
07-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Use the .75" rails and when the machine is doing the "finding surface" step press the stop button "once" and select #3 jog. Use the arrow keys to move the bit over the carving board and then press enter. It will now touch down on the board surface and not the rails.

djarboe
07-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. That was my gut feeling, but wanted some advice before I ruin the wood. I've used the jog technique to find the board surface before, and it works just great.

Thanks again!!!

Geomoo1
07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
There is no reason to let the tape set over night. Carpet tape is pressure sensative so just press it down real good and you should be good to go.

smurfjeep
07-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Use the .75" rails and when the machine is doing the "finding surface" step press the stop button "once" and select #3 jog. Use the arrow keys to move the bit over the carving board and then press enter. It will now touch down on the board surface and not the rails.

Thanks for this tip, I always wondered how to use the jog function