PDA

View Full Version : new one on me; Y belt slip error

myshop1044
07-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I tried this 3 times just to make sure, when the truck hits the swing plate, it snaps it, the second time it does not.
it gave me this error, I oiled the swing plate and tried it again, same error, when I hit enter to continue , it gave a "y" stall error.
my "Y" belt is tight, there is no warble in the "Y" truck, the gear box is not loose. What do I looker for now.
see attached.
any help would be great
Perry B.

bergerud
07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
It seems very likely that then y belt is slipping at the first thwack at the bit plate. Mark the y motor sprocket and the belt with a felt pen and try it again. If it is slipping, re-tighten the belt and try it again. (I would give the tightening spring a little "help" for the purpose of trouble shooting.)

zan29
07-04-2015, 03:04 PM
It happened to me a few times and it was because the wires for the cover were in the way. May want to check that too!
Suzanne

myshop1044
07-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I did take a look at the wires also and pushed them back down, Are you talking about the tension sprocket ?

bergerud
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
I did take a look at the wires also and pushed them back down, Are you talking about the tension sprocket ?

Yes, the sprocket on the right with the set screw and the spring tensioner. If you think the belt really is slipping (and I think it is), undo the set screw to let the spring re tighten the belt and then re tighten the set screw. (If the set screw happened to be loose, that would actually be the problem.)

myshop1044
07-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Thank you I will try it tomorrow, have to see the fireworks with one of the grand kids.

TerryT
07-04-2015, 05:50 PM
I had one where the "cords" all broke. The Y timing belt was basically just a giant rubber band. Replaced the belt and all was well.

Digitalwoodshop
07-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I would remove the Y gearbox and inspect the Big Plastic Gear for worn out 685ZZ Bearings and the Y Encoder for dust.

AL

myshop1044
07-05-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm up and running again, after doing the marking of the sprocket ,still the same error, I removed the gear motor and what did I see ,"teeth missing".
change the "Y" belt, lucky I had one, and no errors.
thanks for all the help and suggestions. Now I go and order 2 Y belts, 2 machines.
Perry B.

bergerud
07-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Good work. Another one to add to the list! I do not think I have seen that type of failure before.

(If you did not have the extra belt, I bet you could have flipped it over.)

myshop1044
07-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Explain the flip belt over idea, would' the belt slip on the sprocket?

bergerud
07-05-2015, 02:31 PM
If you think about the part of the belt that is driven by the y sprocket, it is less than 1/2 of the belt. (The top half when the carriage is all the way to the right.) I just meant flip it end for end (not inside out) so then you get to use the other half. I do not think the missing tooth would matter passing over the idler sprocket.

To flip it, one would undo the clamp behind the truck, flip the belt around and clamp it back in the same place. Would work, I think, in a pinch.

myshop1044
07-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Good idea, never thought it in that way. I'm going to put that in my memory bank, oh! Wait I can't remember where I put my memory bank.
Perry B