PDA

View Full Version : Y motor frozen

saylesj
06-29-2015, 11:33 PM
It appears that the transmission area of my Y motor has frozen upon removing the motor some shavings came out at the gear area but the motor seems free, called CW today and they told me they are not sure when they will get new motors in… Has anybody ever rebuilt something like this?

Does anybody know of any alternatives?

It is very unfortunate that we pay this kind of money for the machine and cannot get parts within a timely manner, this also happened to me with the board sensor a year or so ago

fwharris
06-30-2015, 12:51 AM
You probably just need to replace the 2 bearings and maybe the white gear in the gear box.

It looks like the CarveWright store does not have the gear, not listed on the service parts page, and not sure if you can buy it if you call in.

For the bearings you will need to order/find 5x11x5 bearings http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit768

These are a common size used in RC cars..

bergerud
06-30-2015, 07:28 AM
...some shavings came out at the gear area...

What kind of shavings? Metal or plastic? Bearing parts or gear parts?

saylesj
06-30-2015, 11:16 AM
The shavings seem to be metal, the white gear looks fine the motor itself spins freely while plastic white gear is removed, has anyone been inside the gearbox itself?

bergerud
06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
You have a very common problem. The two little bearings on the white gear shaft have failed. If the shaft on the white gear has not been damaged, you can fix the y drive by replacing the two bearings. These are not available from LHR. You have to find your own. They are 5X11X5 mm 685.

For example: http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

Maybe Al will chime in and show you some pictures.

saylesj
06-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Thank you very much for your assistance, new bearings are on the way

fwharris
06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
You have a very common problem. The two little bearings on the white gear shaft have failed. If the shaft on the white gear has not been damaged, you can fix the y drive by replacing the two bearings. These are not available from LHR. You have to find your own. They are 5X11X5 mm 685.

For example: http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

Maybe Al will chime in and show you some pictures.

Good price! Only 16 is stock, might want to grad them up before they are all gone.

A post that might help you out....

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?26052-y-axis-stall-error-message-E05-0314&highlight=y+gear+box

Digitalwoodshop
06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
When you examine the gearbox you should pay close attention to the area of the shaft right up against the plastic gear. This is where the bearings ride and when they fail, they shave or grind down the diameter of the shaft. If the shaft is worn then even with new bearings, the gearbox will flop around... At one point LHR sold the plastic gear with shaft as a replacement part but sadly at the moment they do not. You must buy the whole gearbox and motor.

With a floppy gearbox, when it sits in the U shaped machine frame, the gear moves and rubs the U shaped area causing friction and even stalls. Plus with a "floppy" the big plastic gear leans away from shaft of the servo spines and at places like at the bit plate you will hear 3 clicks of the plastic gear slipping on the servo shaft...

Then you will get "Y" tracking failures when using the machine where the machine will cut or carve in areas that you do not want... Or offset Y cutting... Or... making expensive fire wood...

THIS is why old farts like me recommend that you replace the 2 "Y" 685ZZ Bearings EVERY time you change the Cut Motor Brushes.... And that is every 250 cut hours... This is what we call "Preventive Maintenance".... Keeps you from the expensive fixes.... :)

Note the RIM in the gearbox, each bearing comes out the front of each side. I just noticed in picture 4 I didn't spell "Height" correct... -2 points.

AL

TerryT
06-30-2015, 06:55 PM
I just noticed in picture 4 I didn't spell "Height" correct... -2 points.

AL
Well, how the heck are we supposed to get a good fix if the word height is misspelled?? We need new pictures! LOL

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Well, how the heck are we supposed to get a good fix if the word height is misspelled?? We need new pictures! LOL

Took me 7 years to notice.... I will get right on it.... :)