PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a fun project/challenge/contest

oscarl48
06-28-2015, 02:13 PM
I just learned I am getting a 2 week to a month vacation starting in July. I am really excited since I have not had a real vacation in about 4 years. So this will give me the time I need to fine tune some of my pattern making techniques. So to kick off my vacation and for fun I am going to start a contest. I am putting two projects on here for a vote. One will go into the pattern depot at some future date and the other one will be shared on this thread. You get to vote on which is which.

The first project is a pine chest and the second project is a hall table.

(Okay you don't need a CW to make either of these but it changes them from your boring pieces of furniture to, "Wow, you made that!")

1. Pine chest: Easy category.

Major tools needed: CW, table saw (any saw will work but its easier with table saw), drill, router optional for decorative edges, sand paper (scraper and block planes are nice though).
For breadboard top a biscuit jointer would be nice, but dowels work just as well.

2. Hall table: Intermediate category.

Major tools needed: CW, table saw, drill, router table (optional for drawer construction), sand paper (scraper and block planes are nice though).
For breadboard top a biscuit jointer would be nice, but dowels work just as well.

The drawer will have different versions to accommodate wood working skills levels and tools. I hate cutting dovetails so I cheat with a router table or pocket screws.

So between now and 1 July 2015 at 23:59 vote for the project you want shared on this thread (project 1 or project 2). The pictures are notional representations. Once the winner is picked I will make a custom design/pattern for the project.

Old Salt
06-28-2015, 03:10 PM
the chest sells better so I will vote for the chest to be free.

both would good to build!
Gary

cjudas
06-28-2015, 03:14 PM
I vote for the chest!

zan29
06-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Good idea Osacar. I vote for the chest too!

aokweld101
06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Oscar, that is so nice of you, I for one like boxes, so my vote is the chest! I have made hope chest before made two of them one for my grandaughter and one for daughter but that was before I had the carvewright. Now my wife wants one.... Happy wife... happy life!!!

oscarl48
06-28-2015, 05:23 PM
lol. No words spoken truer. Happy spouse happy life.

The chest may be a bit small for a hope chest. :(

The chest would be based on an old pattern I developed some 15 years ago. I don't know how many chests I have built based on this design. They are fast and extremely easy to build. No advanced woodworking just butte joints, glue and screws. General dimensions are 30in x 21in x 18in deep. It is based around 1"x6"x6ft pine boards to minimize waste. With a little prep time I have put one together in about 8 hours. The carving will make the overall time a bit longer.

Any suggestions on theme for carvings. I had two ideas in mind but not cemented in stone yet; western or a floral motif.

The western scene I posted in the pictorial section was part of the theme development but again not tied to it.

aokweld101
06-28-2015, 05:55 PM
So You could use a 1"x8"
1"x10" or 1"x12" to make it ...BIGGER !!! :D.. I'm a little torn between your two choices... hummm.. floral or western... if I was to look in the Manly Handbook, I'm sure it would say western.

henry1
06-28-2015, 08:47 PM
I also vote for the chest looks good

Dale
06-28-2015, 10:36 PM
I'm for the chest also.

Capt Bruce
06-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Another chest vote thanks

ktjwilliams
06-29-2015, 12:39 PM
The chest is the one that should be on the forum ..... So I guess that's another one for the chest ..

ktjwilliams
06-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Oh Western or Floral ,,, Well here on the Jersey Shore we're pretty far away from West ,, So I go Floral !!!

smurfjeep
06-29-2015, 02:44 PM
I vote for the chest, thanks

Bigtyme
06-29-2015, 04:48 PM
I vote for the chest as well....both nice pieces!!!

Mugsowner
06-29-2015, 06:01 PM
I would have to put a vote in for the chest as well. As far as the westren/floral debate goes, I would have to play the happy life card on this one and go with floral. It could be left blank, so folks could add thier own touch to it.

oscarl48
06-29-2015, 06:19 PM
wow. I thought this would be more of a contest. A whole lot to zero. I think I'll start the material list on the chest now. :)

So for some of the questions/thoughts from newest.

Mugsowner. The pattern design for the chest is a blank canvas. I will be sharing the original patterns for a theme for the chest but that does not mean you have to do it my way. If you want to do your own theme that is entirely up to you. I would love to see the final pictures though of your chest. I am tickled pink when I see folks use my patterns/designs.

2 floral votes; 1 western so far. Again big surprise. I thought western would be a huge winner.

aokweld101, you can size the chest up but I'm not sure if its the right design for that but you can see the final product and see if it will work for you.

aokweld101
06-29-2015, 09:11 PM
I rethougt it oscar it's not for me, it's for the wife...FLORAL...:rolleyes:

oscarl48
06-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Dang it. 3 floral to 0 western. I had even made some barbed wire patterns. lol

Oh well. off to make some flowers. I am thinking a classic look with rose vine borders...hmmm. Off to my happy place to be artistic.

sunmiztres
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Both are nice projects but I would vote for the chest as well and a HUGE WESTERN vote ( my western is so HUGE is is worth 4 Florals :) ) Thank you for doing this.

blhutchens
07-01-2015, 09:08 PM
If you do a blooming pricly pear you have a western floral...........

oscarl48
07-01-2015, 10:28 PM
lol. I could try to mix the two but we'll see how the voting ends tonight.

I have a few western models built and a few flower models built but not enough to finish one or the other yet. So have to make a few more patterns. Spent the last few hours learning another technique on making roses.

My barbed wire pattern came out good but I am going to try the same modeling technique to make thorn vines tomorrow after I get some roses done.

I'll get the chest materials tomorrow and also start developing the plans. I am going with cedar instead of pine and will be painting it for my piece.

sunmiztres
07-01-2015, 10:38 PM
lol. I could try to mix the two but we'll see how the voting ends tonight.

I have a few western models built and a few flower models built but not enough to finish one or the other yet. So have to make a few more patterns. Spent the last few hours learning another technique on making roses.

My barbed wire pattern came out good but I am going to try the same modeling technique to make thorn vines tomorrow after I get some roses done.

I'll get the chest materials tomorrow and also start developing the plans. I am going with cedar instead of pine and will be painting it for my piece.

I like the boot with the plants. That looks great. Mixing the two would also be great. I am willing to compromise...lol

oscarl48
07-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Well the votes are in. A chest design it is.

For design motif. Floral 3.5 (Brent I am splitting your vote against both), Western 1.5. So floral wins (sorry sun).

I don't have all the patterns I need yet so it will take me a day or two to make them. The chest cut pattern and instructions will probably take a day by itself. Then I still have to carve the boards and assemble the chest (probably a two day project).

Thanks for the interest and will continue to post progress on the project.

P.S. As previously mentioned the chest is a blank slate. You can keep it clean without carvings or increase the wow factor with whatever carvings you want if you don't want to use my patterns. Spousal unit vetoed the paint on the chest and I will be using cedar for mine. Any wood will work but for this design but I recommend cheaper lumber material. It is not something I would use good hardwood for. There are better chest designs for that.

oscarl48
07-03-2015, 09:57 AM
quick update. I have a rough draft of the cut pattern but I need to redo a few pieces. I noticed I screwed up and got the end lengths wrong on one portion.

I went and got all the supplies for the chest at Lowes yesterday. The base woodshop was really low on cedar so had to make do. Lowes cedar is closer to .5 than .75 so minor adjustments (mostly screw length) for that but ready to go except to finish up the patterns. Here is a draft legs pattern. I am thinking it will work but I will have to see so how it goes with the rails.

My next question of the day is vodka or rum. Wife thinks its too early but its after 0800 so I completely disagree.

sunmiztres
07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
quick update. I have a rough draft of the cut pattern but I need to redo a few pieces. I noticed I screwed up and got the end lengths wrong on one portion.

I went and got all the supplies for the chest at Lowes yesterday. The base woodshop was really low on cedar so had to make do. Lowes cedar is closer to .5 than .75 so minor adjustments (mostly screw length) for that but ready to go except to finish up the patterns. Here is a draft legs pattern. I am thinking it will work but I will have to see so how it goes with the rails.

My next question of the day is vodka or rum. Wife thinks its too early but its after 0800 so I completely disagree.

Your doing a great job. I would have to agree with your wife because wives are always right ;) lol

oscarl48
07-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I uploaded the leg pattern onto the card and says its going to take 1.5 hours per leg. That means 6 hours just on the legs alone and then still front, back and sides. This is going to be a long carve exercise. :(

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll attempt one or two legs.

I am unsure about carving the top.

P.S. There was something wrong with the vodka bottle. It all evaporated.

henry1
07-03-2015, 05:44 PM
I uploaded the leg pattern onto the card and says its going to take 1.5 hours per leg. That means 6 hours just on the legs alone and then still front, back and sides. This is going to be a long carve exercise. :(

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll attempt one or two legs.

I am unsure about carving the top.

P.S. There was something wrong with the vodka bottle. It all evaporated.

vodka doesn't evaporate it goes down nice an easy lol

oscarl48
07-03-2015, 06:36 PM
lol. You are very right.

Edited so I wouldn't look like a total lush.

oscarl48
07-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I have the draft instructions completed. I have probably made close to 50 of these chests in the last 20 years so I know what I want to say but don't know if I am saying it so it makes sense. Also I am still validating the cut list. I am about 1/3 the way. The carvings are taking a lot longer than I thought. There will be 16 separate carvings. I have competed 6 so far.

Could you look at the draft instructions and point out where I messed up either in the cut list math or where the instructions don't make sense.

Also if there is any area that need more clarification.

Once you build one of these you will realize how incredibly easy they are (but you do have to build one to get to know where all the little gotchas are).

The other big issue I have run across is the mpc's are coming out too large to share on this site. So they will have to be patterns with pictures as guides. (sorry extra work) That will be separate from the instructions. Still finalizing the last carving (side rails). The picture is what I am notionally putting together.

Edit: Removed the draft instructions. Thanks to dianmayfield for the proofread. In doing the cut sheet and then assembling the case I did mess up the side rails. Finished length is around 15 in and cut long at 16 in to later fit the stiles snugly. I had then as 14 in incorrectly. I failed to take into account for the legs width correctly. Will post the final (or as close as I am going to get them) instructions tomorrow.

DianMayfield
07-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Oscar,

Excellent job on the instructions! I really like the way you prepared the cut list. I sent you a PM with a couple of notes.

oscarl48
07-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Thank you. Great catches on all your points. I need to better explain the elongated hole means just pitch the drill up and down, this allows seasonal movement of the wood. I'll start updating the instructions but won't repost until a little bit to ensure I get all the inputs.

I hope you have a chance to make one of these chests. I can typically make one of these (without carvings) in about 8 hours. Now its a long 8 hours with only a break or two but they do go fairly quick.

oscarl48
07-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Enclosed are all the patterns I used for the chest. More in the next entry due to 6 patterns limit.

oscarl48
07-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Sorry for the haphazard input of patterns. Half of my mpc's were over the size limit for posting so it would have been half and half anyway. This way you have more freedom to mix and match if desired or add your own. I have half the carvings done except for the rails (another 8 carvings) but it is lightning and threatening to storm so stopping for the day.

All the flowers have meaning in my family so hopefully you can find some that provide something for you.

There are one or two previously shared patterns but I am re-posting so they are all in one place.

oscarl48
07-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Enclosed are pictures of how I put together the patterns. Again use or replace with your own. Good luck. I will clean up the instructions and post no later than tuesday with hopefully a finished chest to show off. Depends on how long the last 8 carvings take.

oscarl48
07-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Please find enclosed what I am calling my easy build chest. The design is very versatile and pretty much everything can be modified to get a different look (just make sure to hide the visible screws. There are ton a screws showing on the inside but they won't be seen except by the owner).

I personally would not increase the size too much larger, though you can. Seasonal wood movement can be fairly large on softer woods. The very first chest I built based on this design developed some gaps when I lived in central California but completely closed up when I got stationed in Florida.

So for larger pieces I would recommend panels in frames with no glue. Unfortunately I would not qualify those as easy or fast builds without a full wood shop. After the first one a figuring out the little issues that always happen in making furniture they are very quick to literally slap together. Without carvings I can build one in under 8 hours with light sanding and finish.

These make great gifts and I have donated some to charity and fund raisers. It was the grand prize at my ghost pepper hot wing eating contest. I tried but I lost that one. After 6 I was in the corner crying. Next contest will be Carolina Reaper hot wings.

If you use pine they also look great painted after sealing.

zan29
07-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Oscar, that's a great project, thank you!

oscarl48
07-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Suzanne,

Thank you. I hope you have a chance to make one of these at some point with your flare and design. Would love to see what you can do with one of these.

The Louisiana heat is here with the humidity. I run out do something get completely drenched in sweat and run inside to cool off. This chest took 3 times longer than it should. Still have some sanding to do and then finish (which I hate doing). I am just going to use spray on poly for speed and ease. I should be using tung oil then letting that dry and then do the poly but at this point its too damn hot out there. I'll post in the furniture section when done.

Edit: I am going with the 2nd variation for mine with no gap at the top. I am usually asked to do the gap so that folk's smaller kids don't get there fingers caught when closing the lid. If I get my fingers caught its my own damn fault. I am going also with a rustic look with raw cedar with poly finish. I was going to paint it but the wife vetoed that idea. Its for her anyway so she has the last say.

Regards,
Oscar

dbemus
07-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Oscar148

Thank you for the work you have done on this project. You have done a fine job creating a project that many of us will enjoy making. Your written directions are extremely well illustrated and written. I will be building one sometime this fall.

aokweld101
07-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks Oscar, I'm going to make more of a hope chest, thats what Mama wants that is what Mama gets.... LOL

oscarl48
07-10-2015, 07:27 PM
You are both welcome. And yes what Mama want is what mama gets.