PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Sized Carving Bits

bergerud
06-26-2015, 09:03 PM
We have the normal length carving bits which we have been able to carve to depths of 0.8" for many years. Since Designer 2, we can carve to 2 1/8" with the new long carving bits. (I felt like a kid a Christmas when the 0.8" depth restriction was lifted!)

These were introduced, I think, for the CW rotary jig. It turned out that the 1/16" long bit is too flexible to be used with the rotary jig. When carving with the grain, it flexes and gets "pulled under the grain". We are left with having to use the 1/8" long bit with the rotary. Not so good for detail. I have had good success just using the standard 1/16" carving bit as long as the depth does not exceed 1".

There needs to be an intermediate length 1/16" bit. The jump between 1" and 2.125" is too large. I have found a few 1.5" 1/8" bits online but no good 1.5" 1/16" bits. So, I had some made in China. I had two 1.5" bits made. A 1/16" and a 1/32". The 1/16" bits look really good. The 1/32", not so good. Poor grind on the end and they will probably suffer the same flex problems as the long 1/16" bits.

Anyway, I think the 1.5" 1/16" bit size is something we need. Many rotary carvings would be fine with a 1.5" length bit and we would get back that 1/16" detail. This could be something to discuss at the conference.

fwharris
06-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Great job on getting these made up. Do you have a source for them yet?

bergerud
06-26-2015, 10:10 PM
The Chinese company that made them is the only source I know of. I like two flute bits and had them make me 1/16" and 1/8" 2.125" long bits before. It takes awhile to get them. One has to communicate the parameters, they have to make them, send them, and then they sit in customs! Min order is 5 of any kind.

One would need to press on (heat on) the CT adapters unless one has an ER20M spindle. The ER11M adapters have to be overtightened with these longer bits. I have had them slip.

LHR should get their supplier to make a 1.5" 1/16" carving bit and add it to the bit list.

(If anyone is really interested in having some bits made, PM me and I will email you the info.)

fwharris
06-26-2015, 10:21 PM
And I bet those "special orders" and not cheep! Thanks for the update and will be on the look out..