PDA

View Full Version : How to make halves symmetrical and still join in the center?

Underdog
06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm making a shield shape. I'm trying to get the halves of the perimeter lines symmetrical. Can't seem to figure out how to get the ends to snap together without moving the end point on one to the other half's end point.

The second thing I want to do is to offset the perimeter lines a bit to the inside so that I can make two carve regions and place my lettering and other objects on the floor of the carve region.

Here's the shield MPC.

bergerud
06-26-2015, 02:39 PM
You need to use the snap grid. Draw one side with the endpoints snapped to the grid. Copy, paste, reflect, and move into position. The end points will be in exactly the same places (on top of each other) on the grid. Now when you connect the end points they will connect without moving. As for the offset curve, do you had the 2d path offset function?

Underdog
06-26-2015, 02:53 PM
You need to use the snap grid. Draw one side with the endpoints snapped to the grid. Copy, paste, reflect, and move into position. The end points will be in exactly the same places (on top of each other) on the grid. Now when you connect the end points they will connect without moving. As for the offset curve, do you had the 2d path offset function?

When you say "reflect" do you mean right click and choose flip vertically?

And no, I don't have the 2D path offset function. I've not bought the vector drawing module yet...

bergerud
06-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes, I mean flip. Sorry, I am a mathematician! Also, you want to change the end points from tangent to free before copying. If the end points are tangent types, the curve will jump to become tangent when connected.

Without path offset, I guess you will have to draw the inside by hand.

blhutchens
06-26-2015, 08:31 PM
You can copy and paste and scale the copy down.

zan29
06-27-2015, 07:43 AM
You cannot mirror because mirrored objects cannot create a cutpath so like blhutchens said, copy paste and flip vertically and then join your endpoints.

Underdog
07-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
I got the results I wanted (mostly), but decided to buy the 2D Vector Drawing suite just to make things easier.