PDA

View Full Version : Opening PTN

HerbO
03-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I seen some ask about opening ptn's extensions in the pattern sharing thread.
I didn't want to clutter up the sharing thread. Since the 1.19 upgrade you can double click on the ptn and it will open in Designer. You might need to associate the file to Designer. When you double click on the ptn and it pops up asking for a program to open it...click on.. from a list and choose Designer. I like this just to look thru some of the downloads from this Great! forum.

HerbO

BobHill
03-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Herb,

This is another place where you should first do a SEARCH for an item for the answer. In any case, Designer doesn't OPEN a PTN file. You Import it into Favorites and from there you put it into your design like other Favorites and Library PTNs. To IMPORT a PTN, open Favorites (click the blue shell icon) and RIGHT click on Favorites (or the sub-category in which you'd like to put the PTN) and click IMPORT. Browse to the folder on your system where you put the PTN file or downloaded it.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Charles M
03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Bob,

On the contrary. Since version 1.119 you can associate the file with GUI.exe as HerbO indicated (in Windows, don't know about the Mac) and Designer will open to the screen import for the ptn file.

pkunk
03-10-2007, 09:58 AM
It happens a little different on my Mac with probe software. When I 'open' one
it opens in the pattern editor.

Jon Jantz
03-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Good idea, Herbo... I generally don't use the Open PTN feature because I don't see the need to take it back through the Import process... but having an easy way to check the .PTN's out here in the forum (when folks don't post screenshots) would be a good reason to set it up like that....

BobHill
03-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Charles,

To me OPEN means to use, which of course you can't do per se with a PTN using File, Open, but certainly you can "open" and see what the image is, and you can Save it to the Library as well that way.

Bob

HerbO
03-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I started organizing the ptn's and projects on my hard drive (animals..birds..etc) not realizing at the time you could add folders in Designer. When I get a little time I'll import them all into Designer.

Herb