PDA

View Full Version : New Machine leaving long edges of carve with wavy bumps

sunmiztres
06-20-2015, 01:30 AM
I recently bought another new machine and have noticed that every carve I have from the new machine has wavy consistent bumps on the long side of the carves. I have never had this happen with my older machine so wondering what is going on. I am thinking something may be loose and was hoping you could give me a starting point. I have the sliding plate set so it is not that. This happens when using a sled or not. It does not seem to happen in the carve but only at the long edges although I am also noticing in many of the carves a faint line where the bit cuts deeper then the rest of the carve. Any thoughts? I have included a picture to try and show you what is happening although it can be hard to see in the picture. Thank you for your time.

SteveNelson46
06-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I really can't tell what kind of cut you're trying. From the pic it looks like a bevel. Can you upload the .mpc? You might try a test cut on hard wood like Oak or Cherry. Also, try a test cut so the suspected wave is along the end grain instead of the edge grain.

sunmiztres
06-20-2015, 04:59 PM
It really doesn't matter what type of cut as it happens on all types of cuts at the edge. I can do the same MPC with my older machine and don't have the waves so that makes me think it is the machine and not the MPC. The carve of the picture above has the cut going with the grain which gives the waves and also against the grain with no waves. The 2nd picture shows this. I tried to find the MPC but must have deleted it after I uploaded to the card. Thank you for helping.

sunmiztres
06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
I carved another project and saved the MPC. Still got the waves on the sides that are with the grain and also got 2 straight lines within the carve. I have never had this happen with my old machine using any types of wood so I am thinking the new machine should not have this problem. Any ideas what is going on. I have included the pictures and the MPC of the latest project. Please give me some ideas as it kinds ruins the carves when this happens. Thank you

bergerud
06-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Was the board under the rollers at all times? Those lines look like they are 3.5 inches from the ends. As the ends go under the rollers they get pushed down by the rollers, the bit cuts a little higher. Also the wavy cut would have been with the board under only the back roller. Is that right?

sunmiztres
06-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Was the board under the rollers at all times? Those lines look like they are 3.5 inches from the ends. As the ends go under the rollers they get pushed down by the rollers, the bit cuts a little higher. Also the wavy cut would have been with the board under only the back roller. Is that right?

A sled was used so it was under the rollers. I screw the board to the sled bottom to keep in place. Would this happen when using a sled?

bergerud
06-24-2015, 01:25 AM
It could still happen with a sled if, for example, the board was higher than the sled, the board was a little arched, or the sled was arched. You should try an experiment with just a straight long board just to see if it is the sled or the machine.

fwharris
06-24-2015, 02:01 AM
I'm agreeing with Dan in that it looks like the board/sled has tipped/raised causing the difference in carve level. Make sure the outfeed trays are not set to high. If you have them lowered to much it can also cause the tray to raise up on the machine side.

Other possible is if your sled has an uneven top surface or your board surface it above the sled surface.

blhutchens
06-24-2015, 03:27 AM
I had one doing something similar to that. It was a dirty z encoder. It would gradually carve deeper into the material.
I wish I had taken pics. I thought it was the z-belt slipping.
After a couple attempts of just blowing the dust out of the back of the z motor. I finally had to take it off pull the disc off the shaft and clean it good.

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2015, 12:08 PM
A picture of the completed project sitting in the same place on the sled would give us more to work with. In picture 1 and 2 it sure looks like a sled was not used and when the board popped out from under the roller 3.5 inches from the edge, the board raised into the cutter making a ridge. I know you said you used a sled...:shock:

Could the in or out feed trays be adjusted too high causing the same effect.

AL

RogerB
06-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Henry1 and myself went to help a carver .Took 1/2 hour ride to see y her CW was giving here trouble. The board looked great .Nice piece of pine. Taking a closer look there was a small knot missing on the side. So take a good look at your sled. Inspect for chip out or snipe its just enough to make you pull your hair out.

blhutchens
06-24-2015, 06:35 PM
good to hear you got er going.

sunmiztres
06-24-2015, 10:54 PM
I did use a sled on all the pictures. I have adjusted the in and out feed tables and I had to raise all the bolts. When I received the machine the front feed table had a mild dent in the middle. I didn't think that would be a problem so wasn't to concerned. Do you think that would cause the problem? Today I made the Universal carrier in hopes it will solve my problems. fingers crossed. Thanks for your help people. I truly appreciate it.

sunmiztres
06-25-2015, 08:48 PM
I gave the universal carrier a go and the results were spectacular. There was no waviness or lines within the carve. Thank you for creating such a great product.