PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright Carved Awl

SteveNelson46
06-18-2015, 12:31 AM
I created this in Designer 3 for the Rotary Jig. I bought a $5.00 blank at Woodcraft and they said the wood was "elifino". It turned out to be Rosewood and it sure smelled nice when it was carving. I finished it with friction polish and Carnauba wax.

zan29
06-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Very nice Steve!

CNC Carver
06-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Steve very nice work. Glad you liked the smell of Rosewood.
Jeff

bergerud
06-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Nice. I like the smell of rosewood too but my nose starts to plug up pretty fast.

Sliverfoot
06-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Very nice. I've looked at those wondering if the Carvewright could be used to make wine stoppers.

mikemi
06-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Nice job Steve. Did you set it up on a lathe to sand it or did you hand sand?

Mike

RogerB
06-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Steve I have worked with lots of wood from around the world but have not used that one. Have to put it on my list . Is it a hard wood ?

SteveNelson46
06-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Nice job Steve. Did you set it up on a lathe to sand it or did you hand sand?

Mike

Mike,

The awl is assembled by drilling a hole down through the center and gluing a brass tube in the hole leaving about 1/4" protruding at both ends. Then a brass threaded insert is glued and pressed on each end over the ends of the tube. After the 5 minute epoxy dried I used the threaded insert to mount in the soft jaws of my lathe and sanded it to 400 grit. The friction polish and the carnauba wax was applied while it was spinning. You could use a drill press to do the same thing.

SteveNelson46
06-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Steve I have worked with lots of wood from around the world but have not used that one. Have to put it on my list . Is it a hard wood ?

It didn't seem to be real hard. Probably about the same as hard Maple.

SteveNelson46
06-18-2015, 09:15 PM
This was a fun 1/2 day project. If "ya awl" (pun intended) would like to make one, here is the project file and the setup instructions. The kit can be purchased at:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSCRATCH.html?prodpage=1PK

Thanks to all for the comments.

EDIT: They also have extra 7mm brass tubes that you can cut to length:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKT7-10.html

Woodcraft also has them that are already cut to length. They are listed as European Letter Opener replacement tubes and will work "as is";

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/124732/European-Letter-Opener-Replacement-Tube-Set-5-Piece.aspx

You won't need anything else that doesn't come with the kit but, the extra tubes are nice in case you make a mistake.

Bigtyme
06-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Steve. You did a nice job on the awl. As much as I like to use my lathe, this will be a fun alternative. Btw, I am in the middle of carving my 2nd Pierced Heart. The first one is for my son and future daughter-in-law and it came out great. Just about done finishing it and will post a picture when complete. The one I am carving today is for 2 friends that are getting hitched later in July. I think they will like it a lot...

SteveNelson46
06-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks John. If you have a lathe it makes drilling the hole and sanding a little easier. Also, if you are an experienced turner you can probably make the awl in about 15 minutes. The challenge was to see if I could do it on the rotary jig.

I'm glad to hear that your Pierced Heart projects came out great. Looking forward to seeing them both.

Bigtyme
06-19-2015, 06:03 PM
The awl would be an easy turn on a lathe, but I agree about the challenge. I just need to find the time to use the rotary jig. Darn day job just gets in the way :)