PDA

View Full Version : MDF Use

DonCP
06-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Just wondering how many of you use MDF instead of wood? What thickness works the best? Issues with carving it... etc?

Thanks

bergerud
06-09-2015, 01:40 PM
I use MDF for test carves and to make jigs . It is cheap. It is, however, very dusty.

CNC Carver
06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
I have also used MDF with lots of dust. Usually 3/4 thickness but you can use what works for you 1/2" or greater.

carrothers
07-22-2015, 09:46 PM
I have had success with MDF by using a two part epoxy called West System to "encapsulate" it afte it's carved. The expoxy serves two purposes...one it makes it easier to sand and two it completely seals it from water penetration. I like MDF as it runs thru the machine better than wood...it has nice crisp edges and no cupping or bowing and therefore less tracking issues. Use the dust collector system to keep it down however.

Canemaker
07-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Carrothers, are you saying that you spread the west system over the entire project after it's carved... Any photos would be greatly appreciated. thanks John

RobertP
07-23-2015, 07:48 PM
I used to use MDF all the time, it is a mess, but very easy to work with. I made this toolbox dock with it, as well as a Ipad dock. I just used automotive primer and sanded it down smooth.

RobertP
07-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Here is the ipad dock mold plug and the finished urethane model, you can get the mdf to be smooth as glass with the primer.

carrothers
07-27-2015, 02:35 PM
It comes in two parts...push a squirt of the base into a throwaway cup and a push of the hardener ...stir up. Use a throwaway paint brush and brush it on, both sides and edges. Dries quickly. It's almost like a pre-sander to get all the little fuzzies hardened and then the sanding mop can really do it's job. You can then paint it with anything you want...this outdoor house sign was painted with a spray can from Home Depot that's called Bronze metallic. then gold painted the numbers..no need for any sealer unless you want to. You basically painted on top of plastic. Here is the finished sign....I showed it to neighbors that had bought the cast metal version and they couldn't tell the difference.